Forums are back in action! ×

Rides (What do you drive?)

When I was car shopping recently, I almost pulled the trigger on a 2003 bugeye WRX with 80k on it.  Body was still in a very solid condition, but looking at the engine bay told me that it had been tinkered with a bit (heat shield was missing on the turbo and some other little things), and the dealer didn't want to work with me on price at all based on the tinkering. 

Ended up going with my 2011 Subaru Impreza base model for 1.5k more.  Much less horsepower, but I'm happy with my decision as I get better mileage, pay less insurance, you know... all the responsible adult things.  The STI can come later in life when I'm older and wiser and can responsibly have a car like that. 

Plus I'd want to get a cheap WRX and then just build it into an STI clone.  Do it my way. 

I understand completely! Many years ago, I found a non-turbo '96 300ZX in perfect condition. To this day I regret not picking it up. The plan was to make it into a turbo model, but with the insurance of the non-turbo :)

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

My TDI hauling one of my other favorite forms of transportation!

Posted Image

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

2014 Toyota FJ cruiser, white. For "realistic" choices, it's probably my dream vehicle. Love it.

Now that the weather's hopefully done being an idiot, I'll soon break out the 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250.

If money were no object, an Aston Martin DB9 would be my choice.

I second you on the DB9!

Not too sure about the FJ though... that's in the list of my most un-liked cars... hahaha ;P

Quite a variety you have going there!

Egg, Level 1

Dragon, Adventurer

| STR 2 | DEX 0 | STA 1 | CON 0 | WIS 7 | CHA 0

1 2

2006 Prius. The first car I've ever had that I really love. One of the reasons I love it is that I went and bought it myself with no assistance from my husband. The other reason is that it is just plain awesome. Just turned 100,000 miles and my plan is to reach at least 250k. My husband thinks keeping a car that long is nuts but I plan to drive it until it dies.

The only car I've ever named was a 1990 Buick Skylark that we named Baby Blue. It wouldn't start in temps higher than 65 and made me feel like a blue haired old lady when I drove it.

Why would you not drive it till 250k?! My car has currently just ticked over the 220k mark! I'm going to drive it until no-one can fix it any longer! lol

• Like 1

Egg, Level 1

Dragon, Adventurer

1 2

I currently drive a 2000 model VX Holden Commodore http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/attachments/vehicles-sale/100281d1283085832-vx-commodore-2000-pict1887.jpg Except it is maroon. I love my tail lights, Monaro tail lights <3

My man drives an HSV R8 Clubsport. God damn I love that car. If I had enough money I'd have a baby like that too. V8's for the win! Can't get me past a good muscle car ;)http://www.autoscene.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/c340_1.jpg

My dream car - DB9, F250, 67' SS Camaro, Clubby, and my list would go on... hahaha.

Egg, Level 1

Dragon, Adventurer

1 2

<3  

Speaking of V8's, we went to a dyno day on the weekend (funds going to charity) <3 <3 <3 <3!! There was a clubby (natural) - obviously had a cam and was tuned, reach 397 horsies - could get a lot more though as my boyfriends clubby reaches 370 with just a tune & new air intake, with a cam would be expected to do at least 400. There was a turbo BA Falcon  http://www.carsguide.com.au/images/uploads/Ford-Falcon-BA-XT-2002-11LR.jpg ugly looking car but it reached 670 I think - was very surprised as it just looked like a regular XR8. And overall car winner was won by a supercharged Kingswood that reached 690! The owner had done everything himself & it was beautiful!

ANNNDD I went for a drive in my dream F250!!!!!!!! It can do over 700 but it can't reach past 640 on the dyno. AMAZING. I NEED IT. He is selling it but its $30,000. And I don't have that =/ UGH.

• Like 1

Egg, Level 1

Dragon, Adventurer

1 2

Speaking of V8's, we went to a dyno day on the weekend (funds going to charity) <3 <3 <3 <3!! There was a clubby (natural) - obviously had a cam and was tuned, reach 397 horsies - could get a lot more though as my boyfriends clubby reaches 370 with just a tune & new air intake, with a cam would be expected to do at least 400. There was a turbo BA Falcon  http://www.carsguide.com.au/images/uploads/Ford-Falcon-BA-XT-2002-11LR.jpg ugly looking car but it reached 670 I think - was very surprised as it just looked like a regular XR8. And overall car winner was won by a supercharged Kingswood that reached 690! The owner had done everything himself & it was beautiful!

ANNNDD I went for a drive in my dream F250!!!!!!!! It can do over 700 but it can't reach past 640 on the dyno. AMAZING. I NEED IT. He is selling it but its $30,000. And I don't have that =/ UGH.

Sounds like a damn nice dyno day!! Why do you Aussie's get all the cool 4 door cars?  We're stuck with front wheel drive Impala's and a pathetic excuse for a Charger here in the States.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Sounds like a damn nice dyno day!! Why do you Aussie's get all the cool 4 door cars?  We're stuck with front wheel drive Impala's and a pathetic excuse for a Charger here in the States.  

Yes, it was fun! I'm so excited for Powercruise this year, will be my first year and hopefully we can go!

Hahaha. Well we don't get Impala's here and it's definitely not often you see a charger either. I guess you want what you can't get/have really. American cars are just as cool :)

Egg, Level 1

Dragon, Adventurer

1 2

Currently rocking: black 2008 Mazda3, 2.3 L engine (so that's the "sport" edition or something). Got a great deal on it off the lot in late 2008 (i.e. making room for new 2009s). I think it's got about 50k on it because I live in a city, so it'll be a while before it's ready to die.

In high school I drove a 1993 red Mazda Miata that actually still runs (belongs to my parents). Although there have been a few incidents of mice infestation (because it hangs out as the 3rd car on their property). And warm places + good eats attracts snakes and there was situation with a snake in the steering mount.... But that car is fun as shit. I drove it in the snow, got it stuck, dug it out, had a blast.

In college/other times before the Mazda3 I drove a 1998 BMW M3. It was my brother's in college, but he bought a newer car and basically handed the M3 back to my parents and I drove it instead of the Miata when I could. That car was outstanding. Beautiful to drive, beautiful acceleration, nothing so aggressive you feel unsafe but aggressive enough that it's really fun to take off from a red light. Like, REALLY FUN. It unfortunately bit the dust after 270k miles. I don't think BMW makes cars like that anymore, otherwise I'd get one...

As for a dream car - I have some affection for Mercedes, mainly because a lot of their technology is cutting edge and their cars are ridiculously nice.

• Like 1

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

As for a dream car - I have some affection for Mercedes, mainly because a lot of their technology is cutting edge 

This is interesting to me. You want a Mercedes for exactly the same reasons I don't want one.  lol.  They are really damn nice cars though.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

This is interesting to me. You want a Mercedes for exactly the same reasons I don't want one.  lol.  They are really damn nice cars though.  

Disclaimer: Mercedes signs my paychecks.  Obviously not every option is for everyone, but technology isn't inherently a bad thing in cars.  I can appreciate a 70s muscle car as much as the next guy, but you would have a hard time convincing me that things like collision warnings don't have a place in every modern car.  Even from a driving enjoyment perspective, try taking a hard corner in an SL and tell me that the dynamic seats weren't at least a little fun ;).

In the spirit of the thread, my current ride is an E350, but if budget were no obstacle I'd drive a CLS.  Perfect cross between "big enough to put my kids in the back" and "fun as shit to drive".

• Like 1

In high school I drove a 1993 red Mazda Miata that actually still runs (belongs to my parents). Although there have been a few incidents of mice infestation (because it hangs out as the 3rd car on their property). And warm places + good eats attracts snakes and there was situation with a snake in the steering mount.... But that car is fun as shit. I drove it in the snow, got it stuck, dug it out, had a blast.

OMG. Snake in the steering mount.. if that happened to me I would totally freak. I live in Australia so it is more than likely to happen one day... *shudders* I'm not afraid of snakes, just the thought of having it in my car would freak me out  though!!

Mercedes are alright also, but technology is so much harder to fix.

Egg, Level 1

Dragon, Adventurer

1 2

Disclaimer: Mercedes signs my paychecks.  Obviously not every option is for everyone, but technology isn't inherently a bad thing in cars.  I can appreciate a 70s muscle car as much as the next guy, but you would have a hard time convincing me that things like collision warnings don't have a place in every modern car.  Even from a driving enjoyment perspective, try taking a hard corner in an SL and tell me that the dynamic seats weren't at least a little fun ;).

In the spirit of the thread, my current ride is an E350, but if budget were no obstacle I'd drive a CLS.  Perfect cross between "big enough to put my kids in the back" and "fun as shit to drive".

I have no problem with technology unless it does the driving for you.  That dynamic seat thing sounds pretty badass.  Automatic braking does not.  I strongly dislike Ford's automatic parallel parking crap for this same reason. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I find that if you look at Mercedes from 5-10 years ago, the technology in those cars is now standard in other vehicles. When I was a little kid growing up on twisty country roads, I so wanted a headlight system that turned with the car (and it wouldn't be that difficult because you know how much to turn the headlights based on how much you turn the wheel), and now I'm seeing commercials for that in a Mercedes.

I have no problem with technology unless it does the driving for you.  That dynamic seat thing sounds pretty badass.  Automatic braking does not.  I strongly dislike Ford's automatic parallel parking crap for this same reason. 

I do think some of the really "automatic" systems like braking or parallel parking have a loooooooong way to come.

All this aside, my father had a Mercedes (he loved diesel engines when diesel was cheaper than gasoline) and the first thing that really "died" on the car was the technology.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

I find that if you look at Mercedes from 5-10 years ago, the technology in those cars is now standard in other vehicles. When I was a little kid growing up on twisty country roads, I so wanted a headlight system that turned with the car (and it wouldn't be that difficult because you know how much to turn the headlights based on how much you turn the wheel), and now I'm seeing commercials for that in a Mercedes.

I do think some of the really "automatic" systems like braking or parallel parking have a loooooooong way to come.

All this aside, my father had a Mercedes (he loved diesel engines when diesel was cheaper than gasoline) and the first thing that really "died" on the car was the technology.

Mercedes is definitely cutting edge in the tech department.  I like some of the stuff, like I said, but I think you misunderstand my thoughts on the automatic stuff.  For me (maybe only for me), it's not that they need more R&D or anything.  It's that they exist at all.  As far as I'm concerned (and remember this is just me), if someone pays so little attention to the road while driving as to actually need those systems, they shouldn't be driving in the first place.  

That being said, the convenience stuff like turning headlights and such is perfectly fine, imo. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Mercedes is definitely cutting edge in the tech department.  I like some of the stuff, like I said, but I think you misunderstand my thoughts on the automatic stuff.  For me (maybe only for me), it's not that they need more R&D or anything.  It's that they exist at all.  As far as I'm concerned (and remember this is just me), if someone pays so little attention to the road while driving as to actually need those systems, they shouldn't be driving in the first place.  

If everyone was a perfect driver, we wouldn't need seat belts or airbags either.

If everyone was a perfect driver, we wouldn't need seat belts or airbags either.

I'm not saying people need to be perfect.  Just that they need to drive while driving. It's another reason I wish we taught more people on manual transmissions here in the States.  They force you to pay more attention to the vehicle and driving it properly.  

In any case, that's not really the point of this thread.  If you want to talk driving skills, feel free to PM me.  Otherwise, let's see some sweet rides! 

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

That being said, the convenience stuff like turning headlights and such is perfectly fine, imo. 

Ahhh gotcha, you're talking about operator errors instead of technology errors. Agreed.

Also agreed about your manual comment later. Manual forces you to pay attention to your speed too because you have to be in certain gears. 30 mph was at the top end of 2nd gear in my miata but at the low end of 3rd. So either I let the RPMs go high to go 30, or really low, or I just went 25 comfortably in 2nd and everyone else could just deal with it.

• Like 1

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

I agree with this. The best way to learn to park & drive properly is to practice. And technology can fail often. I don't trust systems like that.

Egg, Level 1

Dragon, Adventurer

1 2

I'm not saying people need to be perfect.  Just that they need to drive while driving. It's another reason I wish we taught more people on manual transmissions here in the States.  They force you to pay more attention to the vehicle and driving it properly.  

In any case, that's not really the point of this thread.  If you want to talk driving skills, feel free to PM me.  Otherwise, let's see some sweet rides! 

I have an automatic license purely because my parents did not have a manual car I could learn on at that stage. I wish I could've learnt in a manual but it just wasn't possible. However, I will be *hopefully, with my fingers and toes crossed* be doing up my own F250 <3 and I am so excited to learn to drive manual (I have had a few lessons in a manual so I'm not utterly hopeless).

Egg, Level 1

Dragon, Adventurer

1 2