Forums are back in action! ×

Hi,

I'm new to the forum side of the Rebellion, but have been lurking and receiving the newsletters since a friend led me in this direction (thank you, you know who you are ;)).

I'm 45, technically obese at 91kg and need to get into shape. Partly because I'm at that age where shaking the excess appears to be harder, but also because almost 2 years ago I ended up with shin splints from simply standing and walking around a 3 day conference. Part of the problem was posture, easily addressed with some orthopedic inserts, but secondly because I was overweight. Sadly I wasn't able to properly exercise for 18 months, which means that addressing weight was difficult but I've not had problems for a few months and it's time to change.

I am lazy and prone to excuses, but if I have a serious enough challenge that I want to do I can complete it. Four years ago I did the London Moonwalk, a marathon distance overnight. I wasn't fast but I finished in 9 1/2 hours. This is why I think NF might work for me. That and I was a gamer before I was anything else.

I've tried the couch to 5k a couple of times but not made it beyond week 6. I did get to a point where I was jogging a full 20 minutes which was probably a first in a couple of decades. I was advised to set up a race, which may have helped but the truth is running doesn't excite me. I'm still trying to find the running goal which does.

Otherwise I like badminton, walking, and I used to do a mean shimmy as a bellydancer. I got on ice skates for the first time in 20 years in January. At the same time I picked up a FitBit and the accompanying scales and I'm determined that they won't be waste of money and neither will my gym subscription.

Time for change!

• Like 3

Esmegaia Level 3 Adventurer

Fire Elemental

STR 5|DEX 1|STA 5|CON 6|WIS 6|CHA 2

Battle Log Current Challenge Accountabilibuddies

Yo! Welcome to NF!

LOL I love running! I find that music really motivates me, along with a goal for a race. But I don't like marathons, I do obstacle races. What a rush! To run and do things you only thought "fit" people could do is awesome.

Zombies, Run is a great app, I like that I can have my music on there and know I can outrun a zombie :)

On NF we do PVP (player vs player), where we compete with each other towards goals. You wanna do one with me? My record is 5 miles in *insert crappy time here*

If you need any help or advice feel free to PM me :D

• Like 1

Wow! That's a bit beyond my ability at the moment. However it does give me something to aim for. I did restart couch to 5k on Monday, so I'll save Pvp with you as a goal for the next 6 week challenge if you don't mind?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Esmegaia Level 3 Adventurer

Fire Elemental

STR 5|DEX 1|STA 5|CON 6|WIS 6|CHA 2

Battle Log Current Challenge Accountabilibuddies

Hey! Another Brit! Hellllllooooo! :D

Welcome on board, I'm sure you'll find plenty of support and encouragement to help you get to where you want to be.

Good luck with the weightloss, I'm sure you'll kick butt!

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

As a fellow fan of not-running (I'm more of the slow shuffling zombie right now) I can feel your pain.  If you keep at it you'll do fine, and don't be afraid to try a bunch of different "run better" tricks.  Music helps me sometimes, but not always.  I'm more of an "audiobook and run a long non-looping trail" type.

Good luck man!  You're gonna do awesome!

• Like 1

Level 0 Radioactive Zombie

STR -- DEX -- CON -- WIS -- INT -- CHA --

Act 1

Daily Battle Log