Forums are back in action! ×

New, nerdy, and ready to do this thing.

So in typical style, I started a challenge before introducing myself. Ready... Fire... Aim. (Consequently, I suck at first person shooters for this exact reason.) 

I'm 29, married, female, with one adorable mini-me. I love jam bands, vinyl and books. 

Background:

I've been skinny. I lost 75lbs in 2006 via calorie counting alone with walking and hiking as my only exercise. I was absolutely not healthy: I was eating a bunch of garbage, drinking nothing but Diet Mt. Dew, and smoking a pack a day. But man, I looked good. Just sayin'. 

I've been strong. After having my daughter in 2011 (and gaining 60lbs in the process) I discovered that I loved HIIT and found myself working out 5 days a week, every week. I could do pushups! Lots of them! Not even on my knees! And burpees! And plank jacks! And plank ups! And every other evil god forsaken exercise that starts with the word plank and ends in pain! 

Life, and my weight, has been a roller coaster since having mini-me in 2011. Finally finished my bachelor's degree in 2012. Started a business before I finished said degree. Put our house on the market in 2013. Bought a new (old) house that needed a ton of work. Was transient for six weeks due to said work being done on our new house. Somewhere along the way my HIIT classes quit working with my schedule because my business started to take off. Shortly thereafter, the trainer I was working with quit offering them all together. Oh, and I also picked up smoking again to deal with the stress, because killing yourself slowly is a GREAT way to manage stress. 

Present Day:

Let me preface this by saying I am hyper competitive. Turn anything into a competition and I will find motivation like you wouldn't believe. So, when a friend suggested that we each set a weight loss goal for our Chicago Phish run this summer, I jumped on it. The penalty for failing to meet said weight loss goal: wearing a highly embarrassing t-shirt to one of the shows. Oh, and for extra fun, since he is male with significantly more weight to lose than I - if he meets his goal but I lose MORE weight than him overall... he still loses. (My goal was 20lbs, his was 30lbs. I'm currently down 8.8 and our challenge ends on July 1st.)

Suddenly tracking my food isn't so hard... after all I want to WIN.

Then I start thinking... if I throw some serious exercise into the mix... I can WIN EVEN MORE. So, two weeks ago I joined a local gym that does strength/conditioning  small group training (similar to CrossFit, but as I've never done CrossFit I can't fairly compare the two.) I've learned two things since joining: endurance doesn't keep if you slack off for a year... and I am really loving the strength element that this new workout adds. I've lifted heavy things! Lots of them! 

My Quest:

In short, my quest is to be both skinny and strong... at the same time. I'm actually not setting a weight goal - right now the name of the game is to get leaner and stronger, and when I have a better idea of what that looks like for me, I'll figure out what a healthy weight goal is. Besides, I spent so much time obsessing over an arbitrary weight goal in my skinny phase that I was completely ignoring the bigger picture: I was weak and unhealthy. 

Ripple onward... weight downward... strength upward. We'll see where it takes me. 

• Like 3

There is a road, no simple highway,
Between the dawn and the dark of night,
And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone.

Respawn. | #1 | Current Challenge.

Welcome and damn! You are one hardcore chick! I need more competition to keep me accountable, wanna do a PVP?

• Like 1

Haha, thanks! I tend to be very all-or-nothing about everything in life and right now I'm ALL IN on this fitness journey.

With that being said, I have no idea with a PVP is but if it means competition and accountability, YES PLEASE! 

• Like 1

PVP is Player vs Player so yeah, make a goal and compete! And you can join a Accountabilabuddy group to keep you accountable, and find a Accountabilabuddy to help you through the tough times. The buddy you either text or e-mail.

LostOne - So I found the PVP area. Are you suggesting I join an existing group, or were you wanting to do one together to help keep us both accountable? 

Thanks esmegaia! You're right luck is made! 

• Like 1

It's up to you, I've joined the Armstrong pullups PVP. You can find a group that fits your goals, or start your own.

Or we can do one against each other as Abuddies. Or we could just be Abuddies and keep each other on track.

• Like 1

I didn't see a PVP that I'm ready to commit to just yet - keeping up on my own lofty challenge goals will be hard enough this time around! 

I am totally open to accountability for now, and perhaps doing a PVP together during the next round of challenges. I'll subscribe to your challenge thread and follow your progress... if you have additional ideas on how to help each other stay on track I'm open to suggestion! 

• Like 1