Forums are back in action! ×

cn3wton, Battle log of Ages

More progress... that fur though... took forever doing it and redoing it.

Also did this on top of a jpeg instead of in the right file... dammit...

f1961ce9-c50b-4513-b078-bfc64f2e96d0.jpg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

1/21/15

Pre Workout Accessory Work

4 Rounds ME Pull Up (2 reps at red band)

4 rounds of 5 knee to elbow

Warm Up

Prowler push

Bear Crawl + Frankensteins

2x 5 Neg Push UPs 10 Band Pull Aparts 10 PVC Pass throughs

Strength/Skill

4 rounds

Bicep Curls

P Rows 

KB Press

Barbell moves where done with 35lb,45lb,and 55lb.

WOD

For time

Thrusters

Burpees

So I started out with 55lb's on the thrusters. I pushed through but my left knee started to feel strange during the 21 reps. So instead of risking injury I asked the trainer to drop it down to 45 when I was doing the burpees. This seemed to be good, but on the last rep of the 15 I messed up the thruster and tweaked my leg. So I switched out the thrusters for air squats. I think my legs are still burned out. Probably should have changed it to push presses... but oh well. I was the last to finish but I still got a good workout in. 

Time : 11:15

Shy Guy came over after the workout and we talked for about 20 minutes or so. He offered some good advice, some I had heard, we also talked about topics like Exercise Enduced asthma and the benefits of using an inhaler vs trying to fight through it. Im wondering if my lack of protein is causing my leg issues? They just dont feel like they are recovering.

Grabbed good food, ate well today. Went out to dinner, had chicken breast. Back on track baby.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

1/22/15

Warm Up

80 Single unders with a few doubles

Lunge Stretch + Frankensteins

2x 5 Slam Balls 5 Push Ups 5 Jump Squats

WOD (ROWING DAMMIT I HATE ROWING)

8x200m 1:1 work and rest

Round Time Split

1-44-151

2-44-151

3-45-152

4-45-152

5-46-155

6-46-156

7-46-156

8-45-154

So I would say my average time was 45 seconds per 200m. Not bad.

Strength/Skill

Working on learning accessory lifts in our deload week

Complex - KB Deadlift + 1 Armed Swing + KB Clean + KB Front Squat + KB Thruster

Did this with a fairly light KB. Still havent gotten the rack position down, well the transition to it. I kind of slam the kettlebell in 80% of the time and have the bruises to prove it. Spent some time working on just the clean after the workout and I think I am starting to get it.

This morning I had a protein drink (just the protein and water) before the 40 minute drive to the gym and I think it really helped, I felt like I had more energy on the rower. I then had another right after (at the gym) as suggested by Shy Guy. I think that my lack of protein may be why I've been dragging recently. He mentioned BCAA's or something? A fruity smelling thing you mix with water after the workout. Anyone know anything about this? He said it helps prevent muscles from breaking down.

Got home had a few olives and almonds as a snack while I got my wings ready to go in the oven. I tried to make the granola yesterday, everything was going super well. It looked like it was gonna be my best batch yet. Until I realized it burned... ended up being the worst batch yet as it was inedible. 9 dollars down the drain. Got the stuff together and once my wings are done and the oven cools down I will make another attempt.

One of my favorite game series, Dead Rising, is releasing/being turned into a movie.

It looks amazing.

http://www.movieweb.com/movie/dead-rising-watchtower/trailer

how many grams of protein are you having per lb of bodyweight dude?

I'm gonna start aiming for 1 again, but I know I've been nowhere near that.

I use BCAAS. But I use them before working out when I haven't eaten. I can't say that they do or don't help maintain muscle mass, but I feel like they do. Unless your training fasted or cutting hard I wouldn't bother. A regular protein drink beforehand is probably a better idea.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

I use BCAAS. But I use them before working out when I haven't eaten. I can't say that they do or don't help maintain muscle mass, but I feel like they do. Unless your training fasted or cutting hard I wouldn't bother. A regular protein drink beforehand is probably a better idea.

I am attempting to trim down more than bulk up. I may have to look into them. I was under the impression that I would just add them in instead of substituting

I'm not saying you can't take both, but it seems a bit redundant. A whole protein already has them in it. But you should experiment and see what works best for you.

The DDP Yoga guy is pretty amazing. You know how I feel about Yoga, but it makes me want to do the program.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

1/23/15

Warm Up

Air Dyne

Bring Sally Up/Down (Listen to the song, do what it says, hold positions. This SUCKED)

Skill/Strength

Iron Scap

WOD

12 Min AMRAP

500m row

15 burpees

25 KB swings

35 wall balls

1 round and 1 swing completed

This workout was rough, you know its gonna be tough when the trainer says "Some of our fastest managed 2 rounds this morning." All in all it was a good workout, and the iron scap is great accessory work for my shoulders.

Lunch was sushi, then dinner was a not so good trip to the buffet. Not awful, but not good.

Going bowling in an hour or so with family. Super tired but you know how it is.

Yesterday... I played Magic the Gathering... ALL DAY

WHATTTTT

So I've always played magic casually. I wasn't one of those people that you see playing in public spaces, or going to tournaments, or going looking for specific cards. Anyways I dusted off the old deck and a friend of mine and I played for awhile before another friend showed up. Our plan was to play Smash but then he wanted to try magic and he may now be addicted...

But anyways this post is about how awesome I diet food wise. Normally when I get together with friends its pizza, soda, chips, and all sorts of junk. Instead I had a small sub for lunch (not the greatest but not totally awful), and grabbed 2 apples, some olives, and some almonds as snack. I ate those for awhile, until my other friend showed up with Apple cinnamon rice cakes and whole wheat chips (awesome when other people bring healthy snacks.) I had never had rice cakes before so I tried them. They where pretty good!. And then for dinner I had a burritto with only good stuff in it, instead of getting chinese food/pizza like we where planning.

So was it 100% paleo strict eating? No, but I didn't go and eat tons of sweets like the donuts, oreos, mountain dew, or doritos the others where consuming.

All in all it was a pretty good day.

• Like 2

ah. That's a big change from Super Smash Brothers to Magic. I could never get into either, in the case of Magic, I'm glad I never caught the bug. 

Yea its fun but there are some people that take it WAY TOO FAR. Its a fun casual hobby for me.

Smash bros though, ive played since I was a kid. I don't own a Wii U to play it (and I wont buy it just for 1 game) but I do love it and have it on a 3ds which I bought to play smash bros...

1/26/15

Warm Up 

Jump Rope

Lunge Stretch + Frankensteins

5 Full 1/2 Full squat therapy

3 Tabata Squat

5 Air squat with face to rack (to keep myself upright)

Strength/Skill

Front Squat

5x45

5x75

5x90

5x110*

5x92

5x80

The difficulty with this is keeping myself upright and not having the front rack position kill my wrists. 

*This is technically a new PR as 1 RM converted to 5 RM was something like 106-107. 

WOD

21:15:9

Goblet Lunges

Burpees

I started out with one kettle bell, then moved down one, then moved down again. Lunges still kill me. I think it still is a balance issue, and the strength section didn't help.

On my way home I grabbed a burritto bowl, protein powder, and looked for some BCAA's. They didnt have any made by optimum nutrition so I held off. Going to go to the nutri shop near the gym tomorrow to check. I think that the protein before and after working out has really helped.

Still addicted to hearthstone, still working on Thorin portrait, gotta do laundry. Time to get to work.

I tried hearthstone and really liked it. Not having a tablet or a normal PC or Mac computer has kept me from getting hooked. When I do play I'm still in the early grindy bit.

I am struggling with the urge to spend real money on it. It's very fun. I like the disenchanting/enchanting system. Being able to build the cards you want is super awesome. So I picked one character to play as and destroy all the cards that arent for the Shaman. Got a pretty decent deck going, and theres plenty of guides online by pro players to give me ideas.

If you want to play sometime let me know!

Spent a few good hours reseraching brushes and settings in painter. Tried my hand at it for some random stuff for a bit, decided to scrap the thorin portrait after royally F****** it up. And started a new one before getting ready for bed 

captainamerica1.jpg

It will eventually be captain america. Eventually

I think that is truly amazing.  I'd totally take a class from you. 

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

1/27/15

Warm Up

Jump Rope

8 Min AMRAP

-3 Pulls up

-5 Air Squats

-7 KB Swings

-9 Band Pull aprats

Strength/Skill

Dl+Clean Pull + Hang Power Clean+ Push Press + Push Jerk 

WOD

100 Wall Balls For time

4 hand release Push ups every 60 seconds

Time - 7:48

Holy crap I HATE wall balls. They where so rough. 

Lunch was chicken thighs and legs. Made some granola, only slightly burned it so its still edible. Did a bunch of cleaning around the house, dinner was ribs.

Picked up some BCAA's to try out. Been busy doing a bunch of stuff all day, going to shower now and then settle in and do some more work on my Captain America portrait.

1/28/15

Warm Up

400m Row

5 Push Ups

5 Ball Slams

5 Push Ups

5 Ball Slams

Push Press

5x65

5x75

5x85

5x95

5x105

5x97.5

5x87.5

So I passed my strict press 1RM by 5 lbs. I was nervous about putting more weight overhead than I could strict press, but I really started to get the form down and grew more confident. I could have done more, but I am taking it slow. This is the first week of the 9 week progression, looking forward to seeing my progress.

WOD

Tabata this x 8

Row for Cals [5,4,5,5,5,5,5,5]

Ab Mat sit ups[9,8,8,8,7,8,7,7]

Kettlebell Swings [12,12,11,10,10,10,10,10]

Score: 22 (sum of lowest reps for each)

Overall this workout flew by. The swings really hit my back hard, and those ab mat sit ups add up.

So I started taking BCAA's. I don't know if it was a coincidence, but I felt like superman in the gym today. I was feeling really good. A cold has been going around and I have managed to avoid it (or I got it and had very minor symptoms) and was super tired last week. But ever since I started taking protein before and after the workout I have been progressively better and have more energy (again, this could be a coincidence.) 

Food and stuff for the day.

Breakfast protein shake + almonds. 

Pre workout BCAA's 

Post Workout protein shake

Lunch - Sushi, 2 rice cakes, granola.

Gonna keep up this kind of tracking by making notes in my journal. I don't know if today was just a fluke, but I want to try to aim for feeling as awesome as I did today.