push press

5x65

3x85

3x105

3x115

3x130

3x115

3x105

On the last rep of the max set I had to drop the bar after finishing the last rep. Don't know why but coming down I just lost it.

WOD

12 min EMOTM

5 push ups 5 pull ups

Row for cals (12,10,9,11,9)

Made some egg muffins wrapped in turkey bacon. About to try the first one now!

EDIT: The egg muffin was AMAZING! WIth just a little hot sauce.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

3/26/15

Pre Workout accessory work

5 rounds of farmers walks and hollow holds

warm up

jump rope

tabatas 4 rounds KB swing / 3 rounds neg push ups

Strength/skill

5x120

3x150

3x180

3x210

3x240

2x5@165

So I did 240, but the trainer said the last rep wasn't optimal with my upper back. Everything else is great. This is the problem I have been having. I think I just rushed the last attempt. With 210 I felt really good. So I dropped the weight down alot and really focused on keeping my upper back in position.

WOD

4 min amrap

16 kb swings

8 box steps

total reps 73

2 min rest

4 min amrap

16 wall balls

8 hanging knee raises

total reps 58

total = 131

So this was a great workout. My grip was tough because I had done so many grip stuff earlier. The box steps where at 24" and just high enough to give me trouble and slow me down. I upped the weight of the wall ball too, and the kettlebell. So while I may not have gotten more reps in, I did up everything and still got an awesome workout in.

For breakfast I had one of the egg muffins and it was delicious. I forgot to take protein powder to the gym so I will probably have an egg muffin on my way to work.

Work starts tonight... Going back where I said I would never go... Im not super excited or super upset about it, but still can't help feel a bit down. I need to focus on the fact that its not my primary source of income anymore, which is good.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

So friday sucked. Not gonna bother posting the whole workout, but basically we warmed up for the open workout which was structured as follows.

27 Cal Row 27 Thrusters

So as we warmed up my left shoulder was bugging me. Well once I got to the actual warm ups with the bar I knew thrusters where a no go. So I decided to try just front squats. Welp those where a no go too. So I started doing kettlebell swings. Felt like such a cop out... I think maybe because I carry my trays on my left shoulder that caused it... I dont know.

As far as foods been going. I havent been eating badly, or too much. In fact I have been short of my goals... I need some kind of snack, going to make more of the egg muffins this week. Gotta look up some more ideas though, since I am cutting out sweet potatoes and rice this week.

Don't worry about the workout so much.  Sometimes you just need to deload.  Maybe it was an isolated thing and the next workout will be right on target.  Or maybe it will just be a rough week.  If you have problems again bring the weight down a little.

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

3/30/15

Warm Up

Jump rope + prowler

2x 5 pull ups 5 air squats 5 gob squats

Strength/Skill Front squat

6x5@95  

This was suppossed to be a 1rm day. But I just dont feel that I have squats down. So I talked with the trainer and we decided to drop the weight down and really focus on keeping a good position throughout. These felt great and I got a great workout.

WOD

3 rounds

1min hollow hold

1 min burpees

1 min wall balls

Score for total burpees and wall balls = 71

3/31/15

Pre workout acessory work

jump rope (Got a new PR of 14 doubles in a row!)

Foam rolling and lacrosse ball

warm up

5 push ups 5 strict press 5 band pull apart

5"             " 5 push press 5"                      "

5"             " 5 split jerk      5"                      "

Strength/skill 

Push jerk / Split jerk

(2/2) 45 65 75 85 95 105

(1/1) 105x2

I still am not really confident with the split jerk, so a great way to work on the form. Getting much better and the push jerk too.

WOD

partner wod

5 cal row 5 burpees (each partner must complete each round)

10 cal row 10 burpees

15 cal row 15 burpees

Score 150 reps

I crushed this. I felt awesome and went super fast. I teamed up with a woman that wasn't feeling to hot and once or twice I caught her trying to push herself too hard. She had been sick and missed the past week. So every time I saw that I would tell her that it was ok to take a break, and to take her time with the burpees. So in the end could i have gotten more reps with a different partner? Maybe, but I still got a great workout. 

• Like 1

4/1/15

warm up

jump rope, 5 push ups, 5 push press x2 , 5 lunges per leg

strength/skill Push Press

5x75

3x95

2x115

1x130

Failed attempt at 145

I don't know what it was. I felt great on the earlier sets. But I just wasn't getting the push that I needed. Considering I have done 130 for 3 was a bit of a dissapointment. But maybe tuesdays split jerk and push jerk work did something? I don't know.... Dissapointing day for sure.

WOD

20-15-9

Lunges with 2 kb

hanging knee raises

4/2/15

warm up

3 rounds 5 swings 5 push ups 5 air squats

WOD

250 m run

5 rounds 15 air squats 5 push ups 5 pull ups

500 m run

time = 13:10

This was fun but tough. I hate running. 

strength/skill

tabatas (4 rounds of each in a row before progressing)

2 tuck sits 2 plank

4 hollow hold

4 arch hold

Made the rest of the egg muffins for breakfast for the rest of the week. Haveto leave for work shortly.

4/3/15

warm up

prowler push

2x 5 swings 5 squats 5 good mornings

strength/skill

deadlift

5x135

3x170

2x215

1x240

1x265

Wasn't with ideal positioning. My shoulders are going back too late.

WOD

8 min max time

800m run

with time remaining max effort wall balls

score 36 wall balls.

I was really excited here. I honestly didn't think I'd be able to do any wall balls. 

4/6/15

warm up

2 rounds EMOTM

18 lunges

15 air squat

10 burpees

strength/skill

front squat

5x65

5x85

5x115

2x5@95

So I am really trying to focus on body position. Worked up to 115, and felt that I was barely able ot hold everything together. It is only 15 pounds short of my "max" so I think I am already starting to see improvement. Legs felt like jello after standing around for 9 or so hours yesterday as well.

WOD

For time 

500m run

15 box jump burpees

400m run

10 bjb

250m run

5 bjb

time = 12:54

felt great here. I was the slowest runner, but I made up for that on the burpees. I also am fairly good at pacing myself with the run. All in all felt great.

Post workout accessory work = iron scap/jump rope.

This iron scap routine is a god send for my bad shoulder. And I am really started to get double unders. I showed up a few minutes to class so I was doing my warm up jumping and the class was starting to gather around. I had to stop because my shorts where falling off! Time to get some new work out gear I think... Another "benefit" of losing weight I guess! (All the women laughed and yelled "KEEP JUMPING!"... lol)

Gym challenge wise I am down about 7-8 pounds since it officially started, 17 or so since I started meal prep. I can honestly say that meal prep has been the greatest diet decision I have ever made. It's made it so easy for me in so many ways. I am loving it!

The biggest thing is that my cravings have been mostly limited to my dreams. I'll be honest I have had some dreams where I have indulged in things like pizza and sweets. But even in them I feel "wrong" eating them. I do plan to stick with meal prep after the challenge. Thought I do plan to relax a bit. Allowing myself to go out for dinner and stuff on occassion. But the cravings during the day are almost gone. We have had all kinds of sweets, pizza, and other temptations at my house (thanks to my parents) and I can honestly say I havent even given them a passing glance. Pizza now sits in the fridge for a couple days because I no longer "clean it up". Most notable has been work.

Those of you who are"veterans" of this thread know about the Galactic bread (the restaraunts garlic bread). I can honestly say its the best garlic bread I have ever had. So going back to work at this italian restaraunt has had me worried. Its literally a symbol of the foods I don't really eat anymore. But again I can say with 100% honesty I have had no cravings, even for my "favorite" foods. I worked all day easter, showed up in the morning and everyone had brought donuts, easter bread, chocolates, candy, bagels, etc. Didn't have any. Then for dinner they made us pizza, pasta, and chicken tenders. Didn't have any of that. Instead, knowing that I would be unable to meal prep sunday (due to working all day) I went out saturday and did it then, and also made meals for sunday. So I was fine ALL DAY!

I also made my own mayo this time for some healthy buffallo chicken pasta (I am loving spaghetti squash). Was a bit nervous about the raw egg part but I talked to the chef's at the restaraunt and they calmed my fears a bit.

On the weight loss side I am really happy with the progress. Its coming off at a decent/good rate. With noticable visible changes. A woman in the gym even came over and said that they could see what an awesome job I had done based on my weight. So thats good I guess!

I honestly think the combination of meal prep, the gyms challenge, and being around such a great group of supportive people at my gym has been the biggest influence in this transition since I started losing weight 3-4 years ago.

• Like 1

Great work on the food and weight loss.

The iron scap routine, is that a web program or book or what?

It's a program some college created for their baseball players. It uses 2 resistance bands with handles attached to a wall. I can look more into it if you want more details.

4/7/15

warm up

emotom

15 air squat

3 dip 3 high pull 3 power clean

5 pull ups 5 push ups

strength/skill

hang power clean

3 reps 65/85/95/105

1 rep 115 x 4

having an issue getting my elbows through fast enough, and pulling myself under the bar.

WOD

8 tabata rounds of each movement

air squat - lowest rep count 12

kb swing - 12

t2b from floor - 5

push ups - 3

total/score = 32

Post workout accessory

3 rounds

prowler push with 190lbs on top of it

jump rope practice (double unders)

4/8/15

warm up

air dyne/ jump rope

3 minutes (done twice)

• 10 mountain climbers per leg
  • 5 push ups
  • 10 band pull aparts

strength/skill bench press

8 reps - 45,65,75,85,95,105,95

Took these super slow as I havent benched in years. Stopped at 105 because the path of the bar was a bit off on it. Wasn't difficult really, but I was kind of rushing to get as many sets in as I could. I will be able to take this number and convert it to 5 rep next week. I expect significant jumps in weight. Im feeling really good about it. Especially since I vividly recall a few years back  thinking a smith machine bar (ewww) with 2 25's felt heavy...

wod

partner workout 3 rounds each

15 gob squats

60 single unders

time = 7:29

The prescribed called for thrusters, but I suck at those. So I upped the reps and did goblet squats.

felt pretty good, not nearly as taxing as the last few.

post workout 

iron scap

thruster practice, did 5 reps, worked up to 75 before I ran into form issues

jump rope (double unders, 8,15,12)

So a few people from the gym have told me that they can see that I have lost weight. It's 17 or so pounds so far since I started meal prep. So that was cool.

• Like 1

4/9/15

Warm up

jump rope

bring sally up/down

skill

lac ball work

WOD

25 min amrap

800m run

30 kb swings

15 burpees

score = 3+3burpees

That sucked. So we had the option between rowing or running, most people picked running cuz they are wusses, thats right I said it. It was freezing outside but a little cold never stopped me. The wind chill though, running out 400m it was at your back, but when you turned around it was right up in your face.

In other news I'm thinking about possibly joining the challenge. My focus would be to help new members here with my own past experiences and stuff. But who knows if I will actually do that... WHO KNOWS!

hey dude

so sorry I missed the start of the new dnd, absolutely gutted.

Various things meant life went nuts start of last week, I don't even think I have been on here in a fortnight, 

Also sorry that that has meant I haven't been here supporting you for the last two weeks, looks like you've got it covered though

• Like 1

hey dude

so sorry I missed the start of the new dnd, absolutely gutted.

Various things meant life went nuts start of last week, I don't even think I have been on here in a fortnight, 

Also sorry that that has meant I haven't been here supporting you for the last two weeks, looks like you've got it covered though

Thanks man good to see you back!

NO worries about the PBP, maybe next time!

4/10/15

Prowler Push + jump rope

5 kb swing 5 goblet squat 5 sdhp

strength/skill

deadlift

5x125

5x170

5x195

1x230

5x200

WOD

8 min amrap

1 dbl kb swing 1 dbl kb clean 1 db kb thruster

score 6 + 6 dbl kb swings

I didn't eat breakfast and I think it showed. I couldn't pull anywhere near what I was suppossed to for the deadlift. And I was dragging.

4/13/15

warm up

emom

2x

10 gob squat

16 lunges

8 burpees

front squat

5x65

5x85

5x100

5x120

5x107.5

5x97.5

This felt good. Form was good.

WOD

for time

35 wall balls

500m run

25 wall balls

400 m run

15 wall balls

250 m run carrying the wall ball

this sucked... straight up sucked. Only 1 thing I hate more than running, and thats wall balls. So why not put them together?

Post WOD accessory work

5 rounds

20 double unders

5 pull ups (assisted)

10 double kettle bell cleans.

I am really liking using 2 kettlebells at once (inspired by most loathed). It feels much more natural for squats too. I also hit a new PR for double unders with 30 in a row!

4/14/15

warm up

jump rope

2x elbow to instep, 10 band pull aparts, 5 push ups, 3 oh pvc squat

strength/skill

OHS

3 reps - 45x3, 55x2, 65

still feel pretty shakey on these but am getting better.

WOD

3 rounds for time

400m run

12 t2b from ground

21 kb swings (20kg)

time - 13:49

this went surprisingly well despite my legs feeling like jello. 

Post WOD acessory work

3 rounds

Prowler push with 190lbs on top

3 negative pull ups

I also did 2 rounds of pull ups with the thinnest band we have (seriously smaller than my pinky) and I managed 2, then 1 3/4. So I think unassisted are definitely in the near future.

CATCHING UP!

So I just posted like, the last 4 days of stuff. So I figured I'd do a quick wrap up. Yesterday we had our mid challenge weigh ins and check. We use an inbody machine to check our body composition. A trainer who usually teaches just rowing and mobility is going to be taking on some actual classes so she was kind of training that day. So my usual trainer saw me come in and pulled her over and said "Corey's should be good so if he doesn't mind I'd really like us to take a look at it and break it down. If you don't mind of course." Well that sounds pretty good to me, meaning hes at least seen my progress! I also had the original sheet for him to compare to, which he was super excited to see. There are certain areas of the printout that compare to the last reading (bf, %) etc. But it was nice to compare all of the numbers. I have lost about 8 lbs of fat and a fraction of a pound of muscle. So thats awesome! My BMR barely went down, meaning that I am doing it right! He told me straight out that "You couldn't ask for any better than that. You are making good, safe, progress."

The exercises we wont retest until the actual final week (or day?) of the challenge. So I have been doing that on my own. We have to make 2 trips with our bodyweight on the prowler. So it was like 260 or so pounds for me the first time? It is based off of our current weight so I have been doing 3 seperate trips with 190... I may bump up the weight to make it feel lighter on testing day.

We also have to test pull ups, I started with a mid range band, on the lighter side (its blue). Well in my accessory work yesterday I was doing 5 with them with little issue, and this was after workout and everything. So I talked to the trainer and he suggested that on top of using the blue band to mark progress for myself, that I do negatives, drop to the lightest band I can manage 1 on and treat it as a purely strength exercise, and maybe even do some box assisted pull ups. I am super excited on the progress of this, its one of my life goals!

The last exercise based test is wall balls for a set amount of time. I can't quite remember the time and I am a bit lazy right now and dont feel like looking it up. I think it was 7 minutes? I am not really worried about training for this. As I feel my form and performance at the exercise has grown by leaps and bounds as I have bettered my squat.

Food wise I re introduced burgers into the mix and am happy I did. I was starting to get a bit bored with the food I had prepared the last 2 weeks. I also made spag squash with olive oil and spices, will try that out soon.

Other than that things have been going good. I may have another piece of art to share in the coming days. Spoilers I may or may not be getting ready to go draw some cows...

4/15/15

warm up

jump rope 400m run

2 times 3 min AMRAP

1. 10 mountain climbers
  2. 5 push ups
  3. 10 band pull aparts

strength/skill

bench press

5x65

5x85

5x105

5x120

5x110

5x97.5

WOD

partner

800m row

40 burpees

400m row

20 burpees

200m row

10 burpees

time - 10:53

4/16/15

warm up

prowler push

EMOTM

20 double unders

5 airsquat;backsquat;front squat; ohs

WOD for time

50 double under

20 back squat 95lb

50 du

15 frontsquat 75lb

50 du

10 overhead squat

strength/skill

20/20/20

plank, arch hold, hollow hold

in between sets squat therapy work (wall squats, etc)

So this was rough. The squats I mean. But I felt solid throughout. My biggest string of doubles in a row was 20, so that made it extra rough. Great workout though.