Forums are back in action! ×

cn3wton, Battle log of Ages

how far out are you from 185?

Currently sit at 188

I hope you go through with this. 

b10d1a2f19424402b3ee3ee7e6b7333f.jpg

The guy who showed me the workout looked like this when he was finished the final workout in the program. It was a 10 min emotm with 190 lbs pushed about 40 yards for a full trip. I think I may start it after the challenge ends.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

4/29/15

warm up

jump rope / 400m run

AMRAP (done twice)

10 mountain climbers per leg

5 push ups

10 band pull aparts

strength/skill

bench press

5x67.5

3x95

3x102.5

3x107.5

3x135

3x120

3x107.5

WOD

team workout

4 min wall balls 

4 min double unders

4 min run

1 min rest between each exercise. One partner working at all times. We subbed out rowing for running as my partner wanted to work on running. So this basically meant that we couldnt really come up with a score. But we still worked really hard. My parnter didnt even count her reps. So I estimate we got about 300 wallballs/du and we did 1000 meters.

In other news I made what i call "cube snack". Its a snack I made in an icecube tray after modifying some recipes from fit men cook. 

1932332_10152864227990893_17679948792864

They are 190 calories a piece. Nutrient dense I guess? All good stuff so I don't mind.

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

look delish, whats in em?

Bottom is quinao, dates, cranberries, almonds, pistachios, protein powder, and a bit of almond milk.

Then 70% cacao on top, about 1 cup melted for the whole thing.

Then raisins, sunflower seeds, and pecans on top.

• Like 1

4/30/15

warm up

2 times

50 single unders (my rope at home sucks, need a new one)

10 air squats

5 burpees

strength/skill

I did this at home, so no real opportunity for strength work. So I worked up to the front squat for the workout. I only have a 45 lb bar and 30lbs in plates. But that was enough for the workout.

5x45

5x55

5x65

5x75

Really focused on keeping the rack position in check.

WOD

3 rounds for time

800m run

5 front squat

10 burpees

time - 22:17

I did a bit of altering on the fly. I walked out the run. It was about 800m, but on uneven ground. This killed my legs a ton, like on fire killed. When I got to the squats they just didnt feel right, so I kept the reps at 5 (was suppossed to be 10), and I dropped the burpees down a bit. There was suppossed to be a time cap of 20 minutes, but since I adjusted the reps I kept going until I was done.

The cube snacks where a smash hit. Everybody loves them. Going to take some to the gym tomorow to share. Then I have to make more for myself! haha.

Did a couple sketches. Figured I would share them. In a spoiler of course as to not make the post two big. 2 of them are of claptrap ideas for the playing card. And then hyde from the game evolve.

clappy.jpg

claptrap.jpg

hyde%20sketch.jpg

• Like 1

5/1/15

warm up

jump rope 400 m run

emom

15 sdhp

10 medicine ball slams 

10 good mornings

strength/skill

deadlift

5x135

3x147.5

3x177.5

3x200

3x212.5

3x190

3x170

So I dropped the weight down considerably. 212.5 felt good, really good. I had great form and felt confident. I am going to work off of this for the next few weeks.

WOD

for time

20 goblet squats 

100 single unders

20 push press

100 single unders

20 overhead squat

100 single unders

so it was suppossed to be 20 lunges with the bar, but I am still super shakey with that. Tried doing them with the kettebell, still shakey. So I switched it to squats. I also did single unders because my size rope where all being used... 

time - 8.58

After the workout 2 girls started pushing the prowler in the back, they invited me to join them. Which I figured hey why not? Been meaning to start that prowler workout. 1 trip was about 40 yards. So I did

10 trips, 1 min rest between sets. 

I found it much easier than what I usually do, which is 95 on the prowler that is 10 lbs heavier. I talked to them a bit, which was nice. They asked me about how much weight I had lost they said "Looking at you we would never have known." Nice to hear stuff like that. Good for the confidence.

So then I came up with a really stupid idea. Why not do a pre test of the benchmark we are going to have to do monday? Which is bodyweight pushed on the prowler for 2 trips. Well at least for me it was bodyweight (women do 75%). The didn't go easy on me though, made me use the heavier prowler too.

So my first time, about 6 weeks ago was 200lbs done in 1:06. This time I did 190lbs in 48 seconds. That was awesome. And it didn't floor me like I did before (I am getting very good at turning the prowler).

• Like 2

I'm jealous of the prowler work, keep it up.

Also, can you please teleport me one of the cube snacks right now because they look fantastic.

I never understood how awesome the prowler was until I tried it myself.

And dude they are so awesome... too awesome almost. I can share the recipe if you want to take a stab at them.

My dream would be to make a road trip to visit some NF peeps eventually. Maybe one day we can swing kettlebells together and you can show me how it's done.

. . . Camp Nerd Fitness Greece, I keep telling Raider

Travelling abroad just isn't in the cards sadly... Finances are a bit of an issue.

Perhaps Camp Nerd Fitness New York would be better! Lol

So tomorrow is the "weigh in" and testing for the gyms challenge. I am confident and excited.

I drew a picture of Mat Fraser snatching 300+ lbs for the cover of the binder, and typed up a bit of a summary of the challenge. I am felling good that I have a chance for the 1000+ dollars in prizes. But even if I don't win I have given the challenge my all and have seen fantastic results, so I will be bying my first (well second but the other is long sleeve) crossfit shirt form the gym.

Also new shoes.

• Like 3

5/4/2015

Test Day/End of challenge

warm up

400m run, light double unders

2 rounds

• 5 burpees
  • 10 kb swing
  • 15 air squat

WOD/Testing

#1 Prowler push 200ft with bodyweight (185 lbs) time = 42 seconds

I was really happy with this. I beat my score last friday by 6 seconds, and my original testing score by a whopping 23 seconds! WOOT. I was the only guy retesting today, so I had to go last. All the other guys where doing it with 100lbs, and they where all breathing heavy and complaining. I was the last person in the entire class to go (everyone else went 2 at a time) which meant I had the whole area to execute perfect turns. I smiled and gave it my all. Everyone was cheering it was pretty freaking sweet.

Problem is I didn't really recover from it for the next two...

#2 Max effort pull ups (using the same band as before) score = 9

I probably had one more in me... maybe. These felt really good, but the trainer called me out on one saying I didn't extend my arms all the way so I stopped. I still beat my original score of 5.

Still felt like I was about to vomit.

#3 7 Min Wall Balls (@ 10 lb) score = 110

So I still hate these things. I wrote on the white board in front of me BEAT 101 (my original score) but man it was a grind. The first testing day I had like 15-20 minutes rest after the prowler. I pushed through and managed 110 though. Not the greatest improvement, but I am happy since my other 2 increased as well.

After I returned to the land of the living I exclaimed "I'm going to moes!" (think tex mex, or somethign like that). The girl who pushed the prowler with me last friday said she'd join me, but when I told her the one I was going to (on my way home about 20 minutes away) she said oh and maybe another time. Shes a really awesome and supportive person and the last week or so we have really started pushing each other (shes way fitter than me but whatever). This is what I love about my gym, these kind of connections. I am meeting up with one of the trainers at the supplement store he works at to get my macronutrients dialed in.

So now that the challenge is over I feel strange. 6 weeks flew by (what a coincidence!). I feel so much better. I am going to keep doing meal prep and stuff like that. 

Not much more to report.

5/4/2015

Test Day/End of challenge

warm up

400m run, light double unders

2 rounds

• 5 burpees
  • 10 kb swing
  • 15 air squat

WOD/Testing

#1 Prowler push 200ft with bodyweight (185 lbs) time = 42 seconds

I was really happy with this. I beat my score last friday by 6 seconds, and my original testing score by a whopping 23 seconds! WOOT.

#2 Max effort pull ups (using the same band as before) score = 9

I beat my original score of 5.

#3 7 Min Wall Balls (@ 10 lb) score = 110

I wrote on the white board in front of me BEAT 101 (my original score)  I pushed through and managed 110 though.

I exclaimed "I'm going to moes!" (think tex mex, or somethign like that). The girl who pushed the prowler with me last friday said she'd join me.

notbad_zps87a05558.jpg

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Way to beat all your scores though.  That's excellent.  Do they start another challenge so you can re-test again down the road?

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

notbad_zps87a05558.jpg

Ah thank you

Way to beat all your scores though.  That's excellent.  Do they start another challenge so you can re-test again down the road?

They run a couple a year with prizes. Though they always push healthy eating habits and stuff.

In other news, I found an excellent recipe for cauliflower pizza. Made it, turned out amazing, then I dropped it... in the stove... face down... Luckily some landed on the baking sheet and was salvageable... but yea. Tasted amazing though.

In other news, I found an excellent recipe for cauliflower pizza. Made it, turned out amazing, then I dropped it... in the stove... face down... Luckily some landed on the baking sheet and was salvageable... but yea. Tasted amazing though.

That is a serious bummer.  At least you had enough to know it was good so you'll just have to make it again.  

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

My dream would be to make a road trip to visit some NF peeps eventually. Maybe one day we can swing kettlebells together and you can show me how it's done.

You'd be welcome here.

So tomorrow is the "weigh in" and testing for the gyms challenge. I am confident and excited.

Sounded like the test went well. nice work man.

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

5/5/15

warm up

400m run

emom

10 kb swing + 5 gob squat

20/20/20 elbow to instep/e2i/superman

30/30 pigeon pose

strength/skill

front squat 5 @55 of max = 75

These felt good

WOD

EMOM 4 rounds (16 min total)

1. 20/20/20 plank/arch/hollow
  2. 15 kb swing + 5 gob squat
  3. 30 seconds max effort air dyne
  4. 60 seconds rest

The air dyne kicked my ass. 

Post workout

10 trips prowler at 90 lbs

Did this with 3 girls/women from the gym. It was fun, and we pushed each other. Used both prowlers at once. The girl and I that shared a prowler finished a bit ahead of the others. It was a good workout though.

Then after pushing that Shy Guy showed up. He's finally back so I talked to him a bit and the other guys in 12 class. Ended up doing the WOD AGAIN! I must be nuts or something.

I will be leaving shortly to go to mobility. I am taking my tires up to the gym. They will have a good home there and get some use.

Food prep finally done. Made rice with pico de gallo, beef, and avacado. And chicken breast with vegetables. Simple recipes this week. I also bought a pair of nano's for 50 dollars at the gym today, so I am excited as my usual shoes are falling apart rather quickly.

You'd be welcome here.

Sounded like the test went well. nice work man.

I hope that one day I will be able to take you up on your hospitality. I am honestly thinking about driving to our house in florida sometime this winter (from NY). If your on the way or on the east coast perhaps a detour is in order.

The test went pretty well I think. I am happy with the results.

Hey look another quick update.

Went to mobility class, took the tires. They kept them all so thats good to get them off the lawn and in use. Even better news we will be flipping tires at the gym tomorrow!

Mobility class was awesome, my quads where super tight so I plan to work on them a bit more now.

I want to talk about myself a bit more. Something I don't usually do. Shy Guy came back to the gym today, and after not seeing me for 6 weeks he came over and said "Wow many you must have killed the challenge, your looking buff!". Hes not the first to stay this, and I am not going to lie it makes me feel good but also a little weird. I've never had anything like that happen in my life, people complimenting me on my appearance is still something really new. Don't know if I will ever get over the weirdness factor of it.

Also a bunch of people saw the cover I did for my challenge binder and complimented me on it. One guy brought up the idea of drawing up some tee shirt ideas for the strongman team at the gym. Definitely going to look into it.

But back on the whole weight loss thing I have really been tossing around the idea of helping out other who are in the same position I was/am in. But I don't know if just hoping they'd make it to my battle log is the best option... Oh well.

I had a sandwich an some fries from wendy's. Its a special chicken sandwich that appealled to me. I wont be having it again. 

But back on the whole weight loss thing I have really been tossing around the idea of helping out other who are in the same position I was/am in. But I don't know if just hoping they'd make it to my battle log is the best option... Oh well.

This is one of the reasons I come to your battle log

• Like 2

I hope that one day I will be able to take you up on your hospitality. I am honestly thinking about driving to our house in florida sometime this winter (from NY). If your on the way or on the east coast perhaps a detour is in order.

Minnesota. I used to live in Baltimore but it wasn't for me.

• Like 1

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

Minnesota. I used to live in Baltimore but it wasn't for me.

Hmm maybe not on my way to florida but someday!

I have been meaning to ask you

with all you know now, from your trials and tribulations, successes and failures

If you were that 300lb kid again now, how would you start your fitness journey

My cheap answer is simple. If I could go back in a time machine and tell myself what to do I would say to start doing meal prep and crossfit.

Though I don't know if this would work. Why? Well first off I don't know if 300lb me would have the self confidence to go into a crossfit gym in the first place, and that I would have had the drive to stick with a meal prep diet. I have grown to love cooking over the course of a few years. At the start of my journey I never cooked.

So the answer is if I was to give myself advice, it would be somewhat simple exercise wise. Start doing a HIIT training program 3 times a week. Keep it interesting, switching out the program aver 10 weeks or so, but ensure that you stick with it long enough to see results. Try to get into a good gym, it will cost more money but finding a group of supportive people at the gym is worth any price. Small things like taking the stairs and parking farther away at the mall really add up too.

Food wise it would be a bit more complicated. I would start with cutting out sodas and any drink that has calories in it, aim for drinking as much water as I could stand. The next step would be to slowly decrease portions of food I normally eat. If I was eating a pizza a day, eat only 7 of the 8 slices next week. Work down. Then after doing that for 1-2 months start incorporating meal prep in for 1 meal. Probably lunch. It doesn't have to be a super healthy meal, just something that is a better alternative to pizza. After a month of that slowly start to incorporate better options into the meal. Then add dinner into the mix. Then after all of that worry about counting calories.

I know its weird to say count calories later, but when you are a bigger person you can judge how much you are eating by visibly looking at it. Like 1 less slice of pizza or a few less wings. Taking out the liquid calories will also show you a huge difference. Check the scale once a week at most, and once you see no progress at all look to calories. 

You see alot of people who are 300lbs and they go "I'm gonna eat 1800 calories a day" well news flash your going to be starving your body. Because its just not used to that. I personally suck at counting calories and have found it harmful more than helpful when I was very heavy. So thats not something I would want to focus on early on.

Mentally there is a lot to prepare for. Its going to take a long time, you are going to have rough times. Focus on the reasons you wanted to start it in the first place. Be honest with yourself what your goals on (they will change). But be honest. If your constantly like you know what I was gonna eat healthy but then I walked past this pizza place and I just couldn't resist so I ate an entire pizza, your more interested in feeding your impulses than changing your life. 

It may sound mean but you see alot of people who are in the constant zone of "wanting to be healthy but nothing changes". Its because they have absolutely no plan and they are happy with what few mediocre results they have seen. I would tell myself that I have to ween myself off of junk food, and sooner or later you wont be able to eat it.

In the end its about how bad you want it, and you have to be honest about it. Its the hardest thing to be but its that simple. You have to have a good reason to get into shape, other than being in shape. 

I hope this kind of answers it. The truth is as you go you evolve and adapt so theres no "do this for 100 days and your set" instead taking it in steps to adjust it. You've spent X years setting yourself into your current habits. You can take a year to fix them.

For everyone who doesn't know my story, 4-5 years ago I was nearly 300 pounds. I made a change, did some good things and bad (many nights I went to bed hungry). Saw success here and there in the gym but very little. But I will say that I lost 100lbs in a year, and I did it eating mcdonals almost 5 times a week. I would get chicken breast and eat that with a large iced tea after the gym on my way home from school. I did a circuit style workout at the gym. Not the best plan for certain. But I will say that slow consistent change is much better than speedy results.

• Like 2