Forums are back in action! ×

Fashion for all sizes and fitness levels!

It's supposed to be 100 degrees today. I am sick of sweltering in jeans. So I thought I'd wear this dress I found at a thrift store a while back... Whether I will leave the house in it remains to be seen!

gallery_28300_1084_35274.jpg

It's pretty and looks comfy, too!  I second the idea of a hair accessory - pulling your hair up might keep you cooler and add a nice bit of extra style.  And I'd go for a pink shade lipstick with that, to brighten the whole look up and take it from pretty to FREAKING AWESOME.

You look lovely. :love_heart:

• Like 3

?current challenge?

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Looking good redwoodfrog :) im on my phone and cant quite tell if the dress pattern is leopard print or floral, but im digging it! And the sandals are cute to boot!

As someone who cant do shit with her hair im interested to hear other peoples advice on pulling it up. Looks like we may have similiar lengths, so hopefully i can steal some pointers ;)

• Like 2

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

I didn't make it out the door in this! Reverted to jeans and a tank top. Sigh.

I think your dress would look good with a necklace, and maybe something in your hair? But, I tend to think a hair decoration will fix a lot of things :)

ETA: I like the dress, I'd just add a hair dealibob 'cause that's what I do when I'm feeling iffy, which it sounded like you were... Boy am I awkward on forums!

Thanks! I can see how a necklace would look nice with that dress... I just don't own any!  Re:hair, I didn't even really think about this when I took the photo, but had just gotten outta the shower and was letting it dry down. I pretty much always wear it back, but in a shameful messy mini-ponytail.

It's pretty and looks comfy, too!  I second the idea of a hair accessory - pulling your hair up might keep you cooler and add a nice bit of extra style.  And I'd go for a pink shade lipstick with that, to brighten the whole look up and take it from pretty to FREAKING AWESOME.

You look lovely. :love_heart:

Thank you! It *is* comfy. I'm curious what kind of hair accessories you could imagine with this? Heck, I'm curious what kind of hair accessories exist. I don't have any lipstick either... oh man, can you tell this is new territory for me? :playful:

Looking good redwoodfrog :) im on my phone and cant quite tell if the dress pattern is leopard print or floral, but im digging it! And the sandals are cute to boot!

As someone who cant do shit with her hair im interested to hear other peoples advice on pulling it up. Looks like we may have similiar lengths, so hopefully i can steal some pointers ;)

Gracias! And floral print! I like having this length of hair, but it is definitely a pain figuring out what to do with it...

• Like 1

I like having this length of hair, but it is definitely a pain figuring out what to do with it...

I have what most people would consider to be long hair and one of the things I love most is how much easier it is to pull up when it's long. I learned a couple of go-to buns and can get it up and secure in seconds with just a hairstick (no mirror required).

D330DF80-257B-4021-9AA6-A49D0AD74D0C.jpg

8c02fefd-b391-4a09-8aee-3153644b1192.jpg

I think at your length, cute clips to pull back the sides would look really nice. You can pull back jut the pieces from either side at your temple, or do a side part and pull back just the side with the bulk of the hair. If it's long enough, you can do a peacock twist with a claw clip.

• Like 3

Peacock twist was what I was going to suggest, too!  A pretty clip goes a long way to dress that up. ^_^

• Like 3

?current challenge?

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

I'll recommend Gwynnie Bee to those who are currently on a weight loss journey like me.

They have sizes 10-32 and it's a clothes subscription service.  Think Netflix for clothes.  They use plus-sized models so you can often see how a dress will look on you.  I've really enjoyed the service so far. 

One garment out at a time is like $37/month which is cheaper than buying a new dress every month (at least for me) and you get on average 4 outfits/month if you are like me and send it back right after wearing it.  Your first month is free too.

Oh and they do have ASOS Curve, for the person upthread who loves that line.  I'm trying to get up the courage to try their Hellbunny dresses.

• Like 2

Geeky Soapmaker

http://maitribathbody.com

I'll recommend Gwynnie Bee to those who are currently on a weight loss journey like me.

They have sizes 10-32 and it's a clothes subscription service.  Think Netflix for clothes.  They use plus-sized models so you can often see how a dress will look on you.  I've really enjoyed the service so far. 

One garment out at a time is like $37/month which is cheaper than buying a new dress every month (at least for me) and you get on average 4 outfits/month if you are like me and send it back right after wearing it.  Your first month is free too.

Man, I kept eyeing them, but I'm so weird about wearing things other people have worn (I have trouble thrifting, too).  I look through their stuff and make grabby hands sometimes, though!

• Like 1

?current challenge?

instagram | goodreads

I can totally relate to the feeling vulnerable when changing the normal look.  I wanted to do it in highschool, but I was afraid of the teasing that would come when trying something different.  (I got teased anyway, but it was always worse when I tried to change anything, basically a fresh chink for them to explore.)  Now when I try to stop cross-dressing, I feel somewhat the awkwardness of how I imagine a late-life MtF might experience even when they are totally convincing.

Also can totally relate to plus-sized clothing being completely the wrong material, plus everything else negative that can be said about such items.  Sewing is totally the way to go.  Look into sheets from the thrift store for learning on... material can't hold up to much strain, but it's good to learn on and you can turn it into quilts later.  I have a bolt of raw silk from Dharma trading company that I still need to turn into clothes, but I wish I had a bolt of sandwashed charmuse as well.  Just about everything that place sells is white, but they also sell dyes.

I still wear t-shirts and jeans. Mostly because I'm saving up for nicer clothes, but also because it's hard to bother when I'm sitting alone in an RV all day w/ 3 dogs. Although I really like the idea of getting dress with make-up every day, I just can't haven't gotten into the habit. 

daqaby6e.jpg

Style that doesn't depend on size!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Drool. Seriously. I'm jonesing for these so hard. 

Okay, I still fail at full body shots, but here:

53c3fc99-483f-4733-bc34-4fe11a992fac_zps

I love chunky, asymmetrical necklaces, stripes, and this lipstick.  Ever since I bought it, I just want to wear it every day (It's 69 by Urban Decay, by the way).  Unfortunately, you can't see my leather skirt (have the inside of my office instead?).  I just got the glasses... they're growing on me.

All the loveliness! Is it weird that my mind automatically puts a beauty mark above you lip?

I have what most people would consider to be long hair and one of the things I love most is how much easier it is to pull up when it's long. I learned a couple of go-to buns and can get it up and secure in seconds with just a hairstick (no mirror required).

D330DF80-257B-4021-9AA6-A49D0AD74D0C.jpg

8c02fefd-b391-4a09-8aee-3153644b1192.jpg

I think at your length, cute clips to pull back the sides would look really nice. You can pull back jut the pieces from either side at your temple, or do a side part and pull back just the side with the bulk of the hair. If it's long enough, you can do a peacock twist with a claw clip.

I love a good bun! I'm missing my long hair all of a sudden! 

Man, I kept eyeing them, but I'm so weird about wearing things other people have worn (I have trouble thrifting, too).  I look through their stuff and make grabby hands sometimes, though!

I love the idea, but I didn't even think about other people wearing them. I'm like that with libraries though, even though I used to work at one. Again, amazing idea, but dirty books. Ew. lol. Plus, If I like the book I have a ridiculous overwhelming need to own it. 

Half Elf, 28.6 lbs overweight, average height, voluptuous, low muscle mass, bad ass mother f*cker

Current Challenge  Fourth Challenge Third Challenge Second Challenge First Challenge  My Long List of Goals 

Level 5

STR: 5STA: 4, DEX: 7, CON: 9, WIS: 13CHA: 8

Weight Goal: 2/43.6

1%
1%

â€œAnd the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom†-- Anaïs Nin

Website      Instagram 

All the loveliness! Is it weird that my mind automatically puts a beauty mark above you lip?

Nope, not weird.  I have one of those faces... lol.  I always look really good in retro glam, and like an idiot in anything too edgy.  I may covet my wife's rock and roll punk jackets/boots/shirts, but they look idiotic on me!

I love the idea, but I didn't even think about other people wearing them. I'm like that with libraries though, even though I used to work at one. Again, amazing idea, but dirty books. Ew. lol. Plus, If I like the book I have a ridiculous overwhelming need to own it. 

I am okay with libraries but I also reread books religiously so I usually buy them (and these days, mostly on e-book because our shelves are SO FULL).  Ha, now I will be thinking about book germs, excellent.  I AM SUCH A GERMAPHOBE.

Basically, tl;dr, love the idea of Gwynnie Bee... and am too much of a wuss to give it a try.

• Like 1

?current challenge?

instagram | goodreads

not sure how i feel about a subscription clothes service, ive moved on from my bulk "try find what suits my style" and now like to pick out specific pieces to fill the gaps in the wardrobe. helps that i have very limited closet space in the new house :P 

also i really need to go out on a fancy date soon, got way too many nice dresses and no reason to wear them...

not sure how i feel about a subscription clothes service, ive moved on from my bulk "try find what suits my style" and now like to pick out specific pieces to fill the gaps in the wardrobe. helps that i have very limited closet space in the new house :P 

also i really need to go out on a fancy date soon, got way too many nice dresses and no reason to wear them...

I looked at one. Since I thrift shopped as I was transitioning down because clothes are expensive and I transitioned through 7 sizes, the 'rental' isn't a sticking point for me. I think it's a great idea to keep wearing nicer items while loosing weight so it's not like you bought something exspensive that doesn't fit any more. What didn't work is that they don't have my current size :(

• Like 1

Inspired by ChristArtist, there's nothing quite like a pair of fun shoes (and in my case, ruffly socks) to brighten up a Tuesday of project insanity.

20140923_131816_zps416f1cc5.jpg

As mentioned, I love lace and leather together!  Bonus: these shoes are adjustable due to the laces, so they fit over my brace!

• Like 4

?current challenge?

instagram | goodreads

I found something interesting.  All these people used the same sewing pattern or the kid's version of the pattern.  http://scientificseamstress.blogspot.ca/2013/08/the-jamiemarissa-sew-long-wrap-up.html

• Like 1

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

Now I want that sewing pattern!

All those photos just go to show you that everyone can look nice (Without hours of makeup application and shaping garments!) no matter what size and shape you are. It looks like all of these lovely ladies have chosen colors and patterns that look good on them and adjusted the dress pattern in ways that made them feel comfortable in it. (Some made the skirt over-the-knee, some made it maxi.) And also how small details can really make things cool and influence the way people see you. I can think of a number of ways that accessories could change the looks of these dresses too.

Like, Meghann's dress. I really like the decorative edging along the bottom hem; this made it my favorite out of all the versions. My own sewing experience makes me think that she probably had to construct this edging herself (I haven't seen something like it in fabric stores) and that she must like the way she looks in this dress since she took the time to add embellishments. I agree with the blogger that she looks lovely, and if I buy the sewing pattern then I'm going to try out the same kind of edging.

And Darcie's contrasting fabric choices. I wouldn't have thought of that on my own, but it's a nice way to add more color. Now I want to make one of these with that Star Wars quilting fabric I've seen at the fabric store and use a solid color where she did to make the dress look a bit less "weekend." (And then wear it to work and see how long it takes anyone to notice the pattern.)

And the pattern and piping choices on Kari's make it look really classy, where most of the others look casual and fun and summery.

If one of that blog entry's purposes was advertising, it totally succeeded. I may have to buy this pattern today, I'll be at my parents' house and can print it out...

Level 2 Elf Assassin

Str: 4 | Dex: 5 | Sta: 3 | Con: 2 | Wis: 4 | Cha: 3

"When people called me freak, I closed my eyes and laughed, because they were blind to happiness." --hide

First challenge! Second challenge! Third challenge!

I was a bit concerned about the advertisement, but the point they made earned the plug.

I have a McCalls or a Simplicity that is similar, but it had darts and curves instead of gathers.  I made a dress out of fabric marked "nursery drapery" or something... it was subtle accent fabric.

I've gained about 60 pounds since then, and 10 pounds made it uncomfortable to wear again, but I think I could still use that pattern again with a bit of easing and a longer skirt.

When you said Star Wars quilt, I imagined something like "Marissa by Jo" or Jaqueline.  But if you can pull it off for work, that's amazing.  I used to work retail in a really horrible short kimono top.  It was dark red and was the medium version of the "chicken on a quilt" fabric set.  (I tied the sleeves back when I was actually working in it.)

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

I'm thinking either this fabric or this one. I think it's technically quilting fabric (or at least not meant for apparel) but I don't care. I can't remember how big the blocks are on the second one; I'm short and I do better with small prints. I also get a lot of leeway for what I can wear for work since I work with college students. As long as the cut of my clothing is professional I can often get away with nerdy prints and jewelry.

Level 2 Elf Assassin

Str: 4 | Dex: 5 | Sta: 3 | Con: 2 | Wis: 4 | Cha: 3

"When people called me freak, I closed my eyes and laughed, because they were blind to happiness." --hide

First challenge! Second challenge! Third challenge!

I can't see the scale, but I'm pretty sure the Vader one falls into "professional enough" and the colorful one is harder to tell.

I have some monkey fabric that isn't listed on the website, maybe I'll give a picture when I find it.  The monkeys are about a quarter inch tall and could probably be mistaken for fruit at a distance.  I still want to make a bodice/vest out of that stuff.

I second the idea that the first pattern is totally professional enough!

Love all the ladies and the girls in the same pattern, as they all look fab!

?current challenge?

instagram | goodreads

it really shows just how much fabric + pattern can make a dress seem 'professional' or 'casual' or anything in between. the dress itself is super versatile, might have to find a few of them around!

or if someone can sew me one (or two) i will gladly compensate :D

• Like 1