Forums are back in action! ×

Shoulder hurts more than it ought to. I'm taking some time off from sandbags & KBs. This depresses me, I feel like I was just starting to make progress.

Happened to me too.  Just know you'll be stronger by healing up.

(Also, love the Schrodinger's sloth)

Shoulder hurts more than it ought to. I'm taking some time off from sandbags & KBs. This depresses me, I feel like I was just starting to make progress.

Circus show was great. It is amazing what those kids can do. It almost inspired me to work on Assassin style training.

Hoping a couple of days off will heal it. Maybe it is time to get the sledgehammer out.  That seems to loosen up my shoulders.

Assassin style training is the best.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Happened to me too.  Just know you'll be stronger by healing up.

(Also, love the Schrodinger's sloth)

Happens to the best of us; I don't think it's serious.  Also, I jumped out of bed and broke my middle toe - just a little "fuck you" from the universe to me.

Hoping a couple of days off will heal it. Maybe it is time to get the sledgehammer out.  That seems to loosen up my shoulders.

Assassin style training is the best.

I've been thinking about taking up the sledgehammer again.  I kind of miss it.  The one assassiny thing I'd like to do is be able to pop off a human flag, but I'd have to start with lots of planks and that just seems unappealing.  Oh, and the inch worm dance ;)

Edit: Beast Skills Progressions.  It looks like I'll have to work on handstands first.

Edit: The inchworm, not just a cool dance, but a great warm-up move.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km0RN-b8YSk

It's a perfect day for biking today, but I'm not.  Instead I'm ticking off minor household maintenance to-do items.  It seemed easier than being served divorce papers.  After the kids go down tonight I'll either go on a easy road ride and take the tire for a walk.

• Like 2

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Happens to the best of us; I don't think it's serious.

I've been thinking about taking up the sledgehammer again.  I kind of miss it.  The one assassiny thing I'd like to do is be able to pop off a human flag, but I'd have to start with lots of planks and that just seems unappealing.  Oh, and the inch worm dance ;)

I think the inch worm dance is the key.

• Like 1

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Love the super heroes in class thing. Have you ever heard of The Physics of Super Heroes? It ties science and super heroes together.

61uU2GVaAJL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

There could be a ton of ways you could go.

How's the shoulder doing? Is it another item to add to the list of aliments to need to watch or just a temp thing? If you got some down time now might be the time to fix those bikes.

Viking Adventurer

Battle Log: Bearlee is ...

Broken toe update:

The Bad News - The kids stomped on it four times this weekend.  It hurt like the dickens, enough to make me sit around instead of biking or tire pulling.

The Good News - After the last time it was stomped on, I felt a snap and it instantly felt better.  When it turned black and swollen it tricked me; it wasn't broken, merely dislocated.

I did some house projects this weekend, enough to make the missus happy.  I spent the rest of the time playing with the kids and pacing around anxiously because I wanted to train.  For Mother's Day we went to a Brazilian restaurant for lunch and went to a matinee at one of the children's theater, I gave her a Fitbit so she could track without using up her phone's battery.  The kids had a good time, they love theater, the wife was in a bit of a mood - besides being sickly, I think number one son forgot to call her.

I think the inch worm dance is the key.

I tried it; it's much harder than it looks.  Sorry, no video.

Love the super heroes in class thing. Have you ever heard of The Physics of Super Heroes? It ties science and super heroes together.

61uU2GVaAJL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

There could be a ton of ways you could go.

How's the shoulder doing? Is it another item to add to the list of aliments to need to watch or just a temp thing? If you got some down time now might be the time to fix those bikes.

I have not.  I'll look in to it.  I've wanted a few of the Max Axiom books for awhile, but I don't think I'll ever get the money for them.

9781429634144.jpg

The shoulder is okay.  I think it's a strained or pulled muscle is all.  I tend to baby it because it's been hurt off and on for 25 years now. 

As a continuing sledgehammer enthusiast,

h0JlRFR.png

I haven't seen any sledgehammering on your thread in a while.  I'm glad you're still at it.

You're doing the right thing to take the time away from bells and bags. I hate injuries, especially when they limit my options but I've only ever made it worse by not resting.

+1 to wisdom, one of the few benefits of aging.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Broken toe update:

The Bad News - The kids stomped on it four times this weekend.  It hurt like the dickens, enough to make me sit around instead of biking or tire pulling.

The Good News - After the last time it was stomped on, I felt a snap and it instantly felt better.  When it turned black and swollen it tricked me; it wasn't broken, merely dislocated.

I

I tried it; it's much harder than it looks.  Sorry, no video.

I have not.  I'll look in to it.  I've wanted a few of the Max Axiom books for awhile, but I don't think I'll ever get the money for them.

Doesn't count unless there's video.

Glad the toe stomping healed your foot.

• Like 1

I haven't seen any sledgehammering on your thread in a while.  I'm glad you're still at it.

Yeah, it's once in a while; then the mood strikes me.  The past weeks weeks have been wonky with eating and ex drama (I know I shouldn't make excuses) so I've been doing more bodyweight things.  With the weather getting nicer out, I want to start hitting the bleechers again in the morning (like 4am) and doing more sledgehammering.  I've primarily been walking+bodyweight but...

You know how there will be that itch to just do something huge and different? Almost an antsy feeling? That's what I'm getting so I know I'll be changing things up real soon.

Yeah, it's once in a while; then the mood strikes me.  The past weeks weeks have been wonky with eating and ex drama (I know I shouldn't make excuses) so I've been doing more bodyweight things.  With the weather getting nicer out, I want to start hitting the bleechers again in the morning (like 4am) and doing more sledgehammering.  I've primarily been walking+bodyweight but...

You know how there will be that itch to just do something huge and different? Almost an antsy feeling? That's what I'm getting so I know I'll be changing things up real soon.

You are at the crossroads right now - lots of changes, lots of big decisions to be made - follow that itch, you're on the verge of something big.  The sledgehammer is good tool when you're in need of enlightenment, working it seems to help sort things out.

steel-200x300.jpg

• Like 2

I don't have anything to say, so I'll leave this here.

I've been rereading Neil Gaiman lately.

I already mentioned the big MayDay festival.  It is an urban reimagining of the spring rituals.  They don't make explicit mention of the pagan nature, but I would guess it's the biggest, oldest pagan festival in the midwest.  We were set up near the top of the hill by a large, old maple tree.  This tree is surely older than Minneapolis.  MayDay is when everyone lets their inner freak out; you shouldn't be surprised at anything you see there.

Hanging out under the the tree was a group that looked incongruous even there.  Not because any of them looked too terribly odd by themselves, but as a group they just didn't fit together.  The first one I noticed was a lady who might have been young or maybe old, I couldn't really tell.  She was dressed in a well-worn black utili-kilt, pirate shirt, and combat boots.  Not too unusual, but her skin was the color of paper, her hair the color of fire and her eyes were blood shot and red rimmed like a big red stain on her face.  I immediately thought, that's a pixie.  With her was an old woman, big flowy dress, flowers in her hair - Earth mother.  A well-built, shirtless black youth.  A surprisingly large, bearded man that might have been a Viking hero if his hair wasn't dyed black.  A couple of standard, American Goths rounded out the party.  Near the end of the ceremony a tall, buff, shirtless, little person* (is that the proper term) strolled up with hugs all around.  I thought to myself, "Christ, that's a Satyr."

I tried to keep an eye on them without being to obvious about it.  I thought to myself, "I wonder if anyone else can see them," but I didn't ask.  Nothing exciting happened.  The end of the ceremony is always anti-climatic and afterwards they all just drifted off in different directions without so much as a farewell.

My next book will be A Canticle for Liebowitz.

*I realize that is oxymoronic, but he was about 5' tall and proportioned like a little person.  He also had abs like a super-hero, a swagger, and a constant smirk.

• Like 1

Love the new name!

tumblr_mhz1s7bjC01qaityko1_500.gif

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

Was looking back at some of your previous posts and realized that the Buck Hill Thursday night races started last week. Have you started that? Saw you say that there were school functions and you'd have to miss one Thursday, but didn't know if it was this week or last week you would miss.

Haven't heard anything about murdering the MIL, so hopefully she got her photo op and is content to play her games.

Any pictures to share from the new camera?

Keeping my judgment on the name change open until I see if you make it out alive or not?

Viking Adventurer

I haven't read much of Neil Gaiman beyond American Gods - it was definitely an interesting book.  

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

I'm just going to drop this here...

tumblr_lr1evmHkj81qh0hkko1_r1_500.gif

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Doesn't count unless there's video.

Glad the toe stomping healed your foot.

That's what I've been saying.  I'm still waiting...

Thanks, I've had more foot stomping, including some from sixth graders, with no further improvement.

Love the new name!

Thanks, me too.

Was looking back at some of your previous posts and realized that the Buck Hill Thursday night races started last week. Have you started that? Saw you say that there were school functions and you'd have to miss one Thursday, but didn't know if it was this week or last week you would miss.

Haven't heard anything about murdering the MIL, so hopefully she got her photo op and is content to play her games.

Any pictures to share from the new camera?

Keeping my judgment on the name change open until I see if you make it out alive or not?

The first race was May 7, but that was SlothGirl's circus debut and I was shuttling her back and forth; it was cancelled for rain anyway.  Tonight is the second race, but I'll have fifth grade transition meeting, but the race will be cancelled for rain again.  So next week...

The missus looked at the calendar and freaked out at all of the biking I have scheduled (I don't consider it set in stone) and it does place the kid responsibility solely in her court (she hates the bedtime rituals).  Reminding her that she works half-time for part of the year and that we should be able to figure a schedule does not work toward my favor.

I just got the camera a day or two ago and haven't played with it.  I got the Sony RX100, the 2012 version, for a nice price.  It's a point and shoot, but it's a big upgrade from any other camera I've had.  It lacks the instant gratification of cell phone photo publishing.

MIL was on her best behavior.  There was one moment of aargh... nevermind, positive game.

Bro, none of us make it out alive.

I friggin' loved Canicle for Lebowitz.

If you want to screw with you head further on the Neil Gaiman track, read War for the Oaks by Emma Bull. It's not the best written book but it's set in Minneapolis in the 80's, First Avenue is there, Minnehaha Park is there, Loring Park too. 

Canticle for Leibowitz is great, one of my favorites.  

I want my head screwed with less.  I read War for the Oaks when it was new because of the Minneapolis connection.  I don't remember it.  I must not have thought much of it; I no longer own it.  It did lead me to the urban fantasy genre (Neil Gaiman and Charles deLint mostly).

I haven't read much of Neil Gaiman beyond American Gods - it was definitely an interesting book.  

My favorite book of all time. His stuff is good, but he bugs me.  Dang, positive game lose.

I'm just going to drop this here...

tumblr_lr1evmHkj81qh0hkko1_r1_500.gif

That's awesome.

I'm one of those that can out-train my diet. I've been off training for a week and Boom! five pounds and go up a notch on my belt; when I train regularly I slowly lose weight almost no matter what. I think this is a quirk of being a skinny hard gainer that's 100% slow twitch. This is my way of saying I've been lazy all week. In between the shoulder, the toe, the rain, and being busy I've had lots of excuses.

original.jpg

The shoulder still hurts, but only when I do a lateral raise. I might as well start training again, I don't think more rest will help any. The big race is in two weeks. Not enough time to get more fit, but enough time to get less fit. I'd better get back at it. I most definitely need more time on the bike to get my body used to it. It's a cold rain tonight; not sure what will happen.

I hear tomorrow is going to be a nicer day.  Take advantage of it when you can.  Then using the rain as an excuse will be more legit.  

tumblr_mb10iqHD8I1rd3tx8o1_400.gif

P.S. nice Milli Vanilli reference

This week my excuses have been totally not legit.  If I really wanted it I could have found time to bike or drag the tire or <shudder> do some yoga and loosen up.  Instead I acted like life was too busy and too hard and just sat around.

why-must-life-be-so-hard-homer-gif.gif

Tonight, I laid on the couch and took a nap after I got the kids down.  But after that I checked outside and it had stopped raining but I still decided it was too cold and wet to ride.  But after that I sucked it up, hit the basement and threw some iron and sand around.

5/14/15 Thursday

Mobility circuit - I've been ignoring this lately.

Sandbag Get Ups - 1 X 3/3 @ 60#

KB Swings - 11 X 10 @ 24kg - lost count.

Sandbag Cleans - 5 X 5 @ 60#

Chin Ups - 3 X 1

An easy workout, it felt good.  This week off, besides putting 5# of fat on my gut, seems to have put some meat on my upper back.  I'm basing that on teh ways my shirts fit now.  We'll see after I slim back down.

Riffing off of TML's post - Tonight we had a meeting with the incoming sixth grade families.  It occurs to me that I've leveled up somewhere along the way.  I'm an introvert in an extrovert's job, but tonight I was speaking off the cuff to a large crowd, making jokes, making people comfortable and at ease.  I must have put skill points into Public Speaking because Charisma is my dump stat.

• Like 1

That's the universe's way of giving you points for getting a workout done.  

What would you tell this guy?

49851136_p.jpg

Is what your doing what you would need to do to become a Belgium Hard Man? I would taunt or challenge you to a PvP, but that hasn't seemed to work lately. Have you thought about doing the pleasure/pain method for training. Where if you miss a workout you make it painful to you monetarily. You set aside so much money and if you miss a workout donate that money to a cause you don't like. If you workout out you get the money back to pay for things you want or need. Just a suggestion to get you thinking.

Viking Adventurer

That's the universe's way of giving you points for getting a workout done.  

In my experience, the Universe tends not to be that kind.

What would you tell this guy?

49851136_p.jpg

Is what your doing what you would need to do to become a Belgium Hard Man?

Bernard isn't actually Belgian, but point taken.  Extrinsic motivators don't have much hold over me.  I just need to Belgian the Fuck Up.

paris-roubaix-1er-bernard-hinaulthinault

Another thing Climate Changed has ruined - after about 100 years of muddy Paris-Roubaix races, I can't think of the last muddy one.  Maybe '98, it's been a long time at any rate.

Woot for being done with excuses and working out!

Thanks. One day you must divulge the secret to your consistently consistent super-power to me.

I'm sitting here feeling like crap after Pop Tarts for breakfast.  There seems to be a correlation.  Osmosis?  I think Elasti-Girl called this one (I hate when she does that).  Imma give up sugar for the next two weeks and see how it goes.

Rest of the day's plan.  10 minutes of Yoga <shudder>.  Swapping out tires and some lubing of moving parts on at least one bike.  Going on a ride. Arts Festival type thing with the family. Maybe some sandbags later on.