Forums are back in action! ×

Hope you enjoy Rogue One. Hopefully there will be Bothans. And Ewoks, you forgot to mention you were hoping for ewoks.

4d28b6a6b35c6a5d32abaa602c40cdeb.jpg

• Like 5

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

That sounds like a great day before break. Hope you have a meaningful (and happy) time. Boys will be boys, but truth be told, you are scaring me with what I'm probably going to face in the next couple of years. :P But I'll refer back to you.

I'm still stuck on kids getting to fill in a survey about school and their teacher, but glad you did so great, as you are a great teacher.

Hope you enjoy Rogue One.

Ewoks!

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

8 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Hope you enjoy Rogue One. Hopefully there will be Bothans. And Ewoks, you forgot to mention you were hoping for ewoks.

I think you mean Bothans will be retconned into Ewoks.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 12/13/2016 at 2:42 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

12/10/16 Saturday

It was a good day, which I really can't remember well.  At one point I went to Target, forgot why I went, wandered around and bought some trinkets for Christmas. I still can't remember why I went. I thought I saw Mrs. TML, but I didn't catch up to say Hi.  

I apparently got way behind on this thread. We just talked about it. That may have been her. She went to Target by herself once about then but we don't recall for sure which day.

We're a little jealous RE: Rogue One. I've heard all good things.

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

I hate when I build up a backlog like this.  Y'all deserve a response if you're going to take the time to comment on my drivel. Since its 9 below zero (-23 C), it's a good day to be on the Internet. 

On December 13, 2016 at 1:53 PM, Sylvaa said:

We bought my BIL a vacuum for Christmas this year. Granted, it's a nice vacuum, but still. 

Re: present ideas - in my family, we all have Amazon wishlists. Once you get in the habit of using it, it comes in handy. I populate mine through the year as I find things I'd like to have and then just share it at Christmas. Also, you can "link" accounts, so my husband can order gifts for me via his Amazon account (with his e-mail), but get the benefits of Prime (which is under my e-mail). 

A vaccuum is ia great gift. Practical and generous. I have an Amazon wish list.  Over th and year I populate with stuff I want, but can't justify or need and can't afford yet.  One year my nephews looked and I got Some cheap DVDs of barbarian movies. 

On December 13, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That stinks man. Mi Prometida is looking into switching districts and what you described are some of the reasons.

Ugh.  Can she at least paddle the ne'er-do-wells?

On December 13, 2016 at 4:02 PM, Rooks said:

Indeed.  Despite it's lack of snowy usefulness, if you got to use a vehicle known as "War Rig" to pull a car out of a snowbank, it might just be too much manliness.  Crazy things might start happening.

The war rig would be utterly useless at pulling a car out of the snow. It also can't drift corners in the snow, do cookies, or slide down the street sideways when you hit the gas just right (not that I would ever do that), all it can do is get stuck and slide through stop signs. What I should do is keeping my pulling rig in the car and pull stuck cars out strongman style :)

On December 13, 2016 at 4:19 PM, jstanlick said:

This is true. It does make you feel like you're a good human being. Although, I'm not gonna lie, when the weather is really bad its kinda tempting to sit by the fire and watch people struggle out the window :P

I get where you're coming from, but I really love pushing cars.  Luckily I live on a corner and get lots of opportunities. 

On December 13, 2016 at 6:39 PM, Marauder said:

I find the days I cannot remember are good days as well. ;)  

Sorry for the work struggle.  I think it's really hard to give and give and give.  Sadly, teens just aren't the kind to say thank you very often, but I appreciate all you do even from here. Think how lost those kids would be without you.  Hugs.

P.S.  I'm going to start putting things under the tree for myself too.  That is a stellar plan!!

Sadly, that's not why my memory is foggy. 

Thanks. Its not the kids, it's the administration and other adults. 

On December 13, 2016 at 7:51 PM, peelout said:

As an engineer, my kids new that reaching their full potential in math was not an option.  I even took my daughter out of math for all of junior high and homeschooled that class because regular math would have been too easy and honors too difficult.  She was not excited when she found out I was spreading the curriculum over the entire year both years (including summer).  But she did learn math.  I used to tell my kids I invented math.  Show me a student who can't do basic math skills and 9 out of 10 times you can point to poor parenting.  Its the teachers job to explain the tools to the child, its the parents job to ensure the child learns the tools.

I'm not saying your wrong, but I have to believe people are trying to do the best they can, but people make a lot of bad decisions. When I had kids of my own and saw how quickly they soaked up information I was appalled at the lack of basic knowledge that our kindergarteners entered with. The other 1 out of 10 might be teachers who don't like/know math and put that learning time into being artsy. 

01.gif?1432154934

02.gif?1432155047The rest of the comic is lost, but you get the idea.  

• Like 8

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

On December 13, 2016 at 9:25 PM, Xena said:

Unofficial dean of 6th grade does not sound like your job, and does sound depressing/exhausting/distracting. But thanks for doing it.

...and since I got way behind...belated happy Nerdversary. I love that you were able to sell your bike to someone who could really use it. And I was definitely voting for the fridge for Christmas. If you have any pennies left, splurge and fill it with bacon.

It shouldn't be my job at all, but what are you going to?  

Thanks.  I do need more bacon in my life. 

On December 14, 2016 at 0:14 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

I don't think hubby has this one. Like you, he has all kinds of tools and multi-tools, including for his bike. I also don't think I'll show him this photo. He is starting to eye my toolbox for space.

Lol, my MIL takes the mountain bike that is with her, to the shop and tell them to put new brakes or this or that on, and that is his present when he does a race again in that area.

It it was a wildly successful Kickstarter. Apparently quality went down when they scaled up to Chinese- factory levels of production, but it still seems nice. That's a great gift too, I would love that (if I trusted others to touch my bike).

On December 14, 2016 at 0:22 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

That sounds like such a fun, happy, family together time. Well maybe in the beginning not so much for Slothboy, but he got his treat in the end too.

This ^^^. Wish there were more teachers like you.

Thanks.

indeed, it was a great day. 

On December 14, 2016 at 2:01 AM, LouCarJo said:

You sound like a great teacher.  I'm sure they appreciate you really.  I think back often to various teachers I had and lessons learnt from them - even the ones I argued with ;-)

Thank you.  I see myself as adequate, but I'm consistent in my adequacey (sp?), which is a greatness in itself. 

On December 14, 2016 at 10:17 AM, peelout said:

Your sarcasm did not escape me.  Sports team owners make millions while tax payers are required to pay for their facilities.  In the words of our new exalted leader-elect "Sad".

Oh good, I was afraid I was too subtle. I shouldn't be too snarky, Minneapolis does also put adequate funding into the arts, green space, education, and infrastructure and other things that benefit the common people. 

On December 15, 2016 at 7:15 PM, DJtrippyT said:

This is actually genius

On December 15, 2016 at 7:17 PM, DJtrippyT said:

This is also genius. 

Sloth's feed is filled with genius today. And hopefully also bacon.

Indeed, the benefit of having smart friends. 

• Like 3

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

9 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I'm not saying your wrong, but I have to believe people are trying to do the best they can, but people make a lot of bad decisions. When I had kids of my own and saw how quickly they soaked up information I was appalled at the lack of basic knowledge that our kindergarteners entered with. The other 1 out of 10 might be teachers who don't like/know math and put that learning time into being artsy. 

Just my opinion, but I'm still going to come down on most parents.  I see so many parents who don't have a clue as to how there kids are doing till its report card time.  Not sure if all do it, but in my district, kids quizzess and tests are posted on the web. There should be no shock when they see there kids report cards at the end of the semester.  Shouldn't take much effort to figure out if junior is spending any time on homework either.  Not all parents have the education I do to be able to handle everything schools through at kids (I fell short on chemistry, english, and spanish w/ my kids) but I knew if they were sitting down and doing homework.  They also knew I wouldn't fail to check w/ there teacher if quiz grades slipped but they said they were doing HW.  Fortunately that never had to occur.  Too many parents just don't give a damn whether their kids did well in school cause they were either 5th generation on public aid or they were chasing the dollar so they could afford the newest car or phone.  I'm brutal on parents but I think people should not have more kids than they can actually spend time tending too.

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

On December 16, 2016 at 11:19 PM, Jakkals said:

Good luck on Rogue One.  I am also looking forward to it.

It's a good movie. I hope you can see it soon.

On December 16, 2016 at 11:40 PM, Elastigirl said:

No Bothans, I was wrong.  This movie was the opposite of an Ewok movie. 

On December 17, 2016 at 0:05 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

That sounds like a great day before break. Hope you have a meaningful (and happy) time. Boys will be boys, but truth be told, you are scaring me with what I'm probably going to face in the next couple of years. :P But I'll refer back to you.

I'm still stuck on kids getting to fill in a survey about school and their teacher, but glad you did so great, as you are a great teacher.

Hope you enjoy Rogue One.

Ewoks!

Thansk, it was.  Boys are smarter one-on-one, it's when they get in groups that you have to worry. 

On December 17, 2016 at 8:04 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I think you mean Bothans will be retconned into Ewoks.

Many Ewoks died to bring us this information?  That sounds horrific

On December 17, 2016 at 11:09 AM, EricMN said:

Canon-shots fired. My oldest son said the same thing last night and I had to nerd-school him.

:) I read that just before you posted it. I was embarrassed. I've seen those movies easily a hundred times and I always thought that quote was in the original movie. 

c25153b15064f34dd0891aa164efa5b6.jpg

You're my style icon brother.

23 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

I apparently got way behind on this thread. We just talked about it. That may have been her. She went to Target by herself once about then but we don't recall for sure which day.

We're a little jealous RE: Rogue One. I've heard all good things.

$5 Tuesdays in Highland.  They still layer the butter too (Fuck you AMC).

4 minutes ago, peelout said:

Just my opinion, but I'm still going to come down on most parents.  I see so many parents who don't have a clue as to how there kids are doing till its report card time.  Not sure if all do it, but in my district, kids quizzess and tests are posted on the web. There should be no shock when they see there kids report cards at the end of the semester.  Shouldn't take much effort to figure out if junior is spending any time on homework either.  Not all parents have the education I do to be able to handle everything schools through at kids (I fell short on chemistry, english, and spanish w/ my kids) but I knew if they were sitting down and doing homework.  They also knew I wouldn't fail to check w/ there teacher if quiz grades slipped but they said they were doing HW.  Fortunately that never had to occur.  Too many parents just don't give a damn whether their kids did well in school cause they were either 5th generation on public aid or they were chasing the dollar so they could afford the newest car or phone.  I'm brutal on parents but I think people should not have more kids than they can actually spend time tending too.

You're right, most of my parents have no clue until the report cards come home.  They can check grades online, but almost none do (I can see who does), I also send a detailed grade report home every two weeks.  My issue with the way people are raising their kids today is the lack of regular chores. That is one of the biggest correlations with school success and almost none of my boys does a thing at home.  The other huge correlation is growing up in a home full of books.

• Like 8

12/17/16 Saturday

It was a lovely day. We got 6" (15 cm) of snow.  The family went to a brunch party so I got to shovel it myself. TML offered to come over and help but I said no (that would make me feel old and useless), thank again TML. My back actually survived shoveling just fine this time.  I met the new neighbors, the clues suggest they are mountain bikers and at least one works at the big bicycle company in town. 

In the evening I went to a Solstice party. It was nice.  I got to hold a baby, it's been a while.  I brought Belgium sour beer.  It was drunk by people who opened it up, took a taste, and said, "yuck".  Since I didn't want an IPA (the real yucky beer), I only had one beer all night. 

Training: 45 minutes on the trainer while watching the original Star Wars because Rogue One segues into it perfectly. 

giphy.gif

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Training: 45 minutes on the trainer while watching the original Star Wars because Rogue One segues into it perfectly. 

Someone pointed out there was no text crawl for Rouge Rogue one because Rouge Rogue one is the Text crawl for the original.

Edit: Thanks Xena

• Like 4

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

7 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

$5 Tuesdays in Highland.  They still layer the butter too (Fuck you AMC).

We were planning to go on Friday during the day, when we both have the day off but I've just lobbed this little nugget of information Laura's way so we'll see. 

I used to be the Star Wars nerd of the family and she used to just roll her eyes but since the last movie, she's been the one who can't wait to see another one. I still can't get her to make a go of watching the originals though. 

• Like 1

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

17 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Thansk, it was.  Boys are smarter one-on-one, it's when they get in groups that you have to worry. 

Group of two with a magnifying glass and the sun, is scary. Just saying :P No I am quite looking forward to some of our experiments this coming year. I used to love science, even though later years chemistry was my stronger point. But the basics that we are doing next year is still great.

18 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

My issue with the way people are raising their kids today is the lack of regular chores. That is one of the biggest correlations with school success and almost none of my boys does a thing at home.  The other huge correlation is growing up in a home full of books.

Halleluja! There's hope for my boys. Can I quote you on doing chores when they moan about it next time?

Love your Yoda hat!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

You're right, most of my parents have no clue until the report cards come home.  They can check grades online, but almost none do (I can see who does), I also send a detailed grade report home every two weeks.  My issue with the way people are raising their kids today is the lack of regular chores. That is one of the biggest correlations with school success and almost none of my boys does a thing at home.  The other huge correlation is growing up in a home full of books.

We have a house full of books but I have a hard time getting my kids to touch them.  My son used to be an avid reader.  Now he's glued to his laptop.  My daughter hates reading although we did start reading Alice in Wonderland together and I make her read every other page to me.  We've let this habit fall by the wayside.  I think it's time to pick it up again.  

Isn't chores one of the main reasons for having kids?  Why would you not use them to do chores?

• Like 5

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

9 minutes ago, LadyShello said:

We have a house full of books but I have a hard time getting my kids to touch them.  My son used to be an avid reader.  Now he's glued to his laptop.  My daughter hates reading although we did start reading Alice in Wonderland together and I make her read every other page to me.  We've let this habit fall by the wayside.  I think it's time to pick it up again.  

Isn't chores one of the main reasons for having kids?  Why would you not use them to do chores?

My kids go through stages with reading too. We have been pleasantly surprised with my 16 year old boy, who has gotten back into reading. There are some authors who are catering to this age group (although, the books are fairly violent - which may be a legitimate concern for some parents). 

Last night, my kids did extra chores without being asked. It was because they wanted McDonalds, but still.

• Like 3

I had no chores growing up, mom and dad both grew up hard and didn't want me to go through what they did. We did have a lot of books. I did well in school, but I was in my 30's before I had good Domestic Rangering Habits (to be precise they started last year when I came back to the boards).

• Like 3

Current Challenge

My daughter is a book fiend.  She spends all of her money on books.  My son only reads if its assigned and spends all his money on junk food.  Sigh.  They both have chores to contribute to the house and a list of other chores they can do for extra cash.  No extra chores get done this time of year because all the relatives send them cash.  LOL.

• Like 3

Rangering since Sept 2015

My husband had to build us an extra large bookcase last year for our books. Granted, we homeschool, so we have lots, and lots of books, but we have always loved books, real (physical) books, (on topics and not just stories), so we tend to buy books and not so many e-books. I also saw with the boys that they go through stages where they pull out books and we discuss the content, and other times where they would really rather look something up on Youtube and listen to a video on the topic. Or sometimes the one leads to the other, whichever way around.

Our boys have a minimum set of chores which they have to do, then other chores which I pay them for. This coming year we are going to expand on those as our home set up is changing, and they want to earn more money. They also have their regular scheduled sport during school term, but I'm giving them some extra pocket money for each extra set of training they do with me (this is also incentive to me to keep to the training, although I don't get paid).  BUT when they earn more money, I don't buy them any sweets, cooldrinks or extra toys, stuff. They must buy with their own money, and when it comes from their own pockets, they become Scrooges.

We also go through stages where I read extra to them at night, or during the day, and other times where we only read from their reading books. I think everything in life goes through phases.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Test post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It double posted and I deleted the second post. I've noticed you and several others (who I think are updating from phones have been getting a lot of double posts. I've cleaned them as I have found them.

• Like 4

Current Challenge

On December 18, 2016 at 3:21 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Someone pointed out there was no text crawl for Rouge Rogue one because Rouge Rogue one is the Text crawl for the original.

Edit: Thanks Xena

That was one of the things I was expecting. For a movie I went into knowing little about, it didn't meet my expectations in a few ways. I'll have to see it again. 

On December 18, 2016 at 8:21 PM, The Most Loathed said:

We were planning to go on Friday during the day, when we both have the day off but I've just lobbed this little nugget of information Laura's way so we'll see. 

I used to be the Star Wars nerd of the family and she used to just roll her eyes but since the last movie, she's been the one who can't wait to see another one. I still can't get her to make a go of watching the originals though. 

I heard seeing it in 3D makes the cgi less off-putting. No matter how you see it, make sure they layer the butter on the popcorn, that's the key to an enjoyable movie. 

Cyndi won't watch Sci-fi with me :(  

On December 18, 2016 at 9:14 PM, Xena said:

Be careful about your spelling there...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_Rouge

Rouge one would be the spoof ;-)

I've seen it both ways, I have to check my spelling every single time. 

On December 19, 2016 at 10:01 AM, EricMN said:

JediMaster_RogueOne.jpg

You wore it better. Also, your beard says "distinguished educator" while mine says "someone let the homeless man in again."

Nanu, nanu.

Hah. You're still the master. You're also the first person to recognize the shirt and I've been wearing it pretty much constantly since I got it.  

16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

It double posted and I deleted the second post. I've noticed you and several others (who I think are updating from phones have been getting a lot of double posts. I've cleaned them as I have found them.

Thanks, I deleted and reloaded Tapatalk, but apparently the problem doesn't lie within my phone. Tapatalk's a jerk, but the web version won't feed me everything nor will it give to me in the proper order (first unread first).

• Like 5