Forums are back in action! ×

Bring Your Own Device

Guest supportivejoyful

Guest supportivejoyful
Does the company you work for let you bring your own device to use for working? The company I work for lets me bring my own laptop. My friend, on the other hand, uses a device the she bought from the company in installments. They have a software that they use for work, that is of course owned by the company. My friend resents that when she left the company, it was required that she turn over her laptop for cleaning.

Personally, I think it's just right since the company has to protect their interests, right?

I think if she bought the laptop and they just have a piece of software on it related to work. It does seem an invasion of her privacy to 'clean' her laptop . In my work we can use citrix on any device as long as we ket the citrix plugin check our update status when it starts up.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

BYOD is tough. Very tough.  on the one hand. everyone already has a perfectly useable device in their pocket. on the other hand, I have Zero control over that device: which opens the enterprise up to shenanigans (like if I back up the device entirely, and you have taken naughty pics, now I technically have very compromising data / PII on you that I need to protect. Or If you have installed malware on your laptop, now it can infiltrate my network)...  As an IT Guy with a focus on Security - its not worth it IMO.

Also.. That company did it wrong. I should never trust your device so much that I need to touch it if you leave. Remote wipe of the info: limiting your access to having data locally etc.. that is the right way to do it. Your Friend would have been perfeclt justified in telling them no. (assuming she didn't sign anything.)

ColoQ  ||   Level: 0
Techno Troll  ||  Assassin   
=========================
Current Challenge: 0 - V.2
Previous Challenges: ,
--------------------------------------------------
STR 0     ||   DEX 0    ||  STA 0
CON 0     ||    WIS 0    ||  CHA 0
--------------------------------------------------

Does the company you work for let you bring your own device to use for working? The company I work for lets me bring my own laptop. My friend, on the other hand, uses a device the she bought from the company in installments. They have a software that they use for work, that is of course owned by the company. My friend resents that when she left the company, it was required that she turn over her laptop for cleaning.
Personally, I think it's just right since the company has to protect their interests, right?

I agree, it's like debriefing after a sensitive mission.