Forums are back in action! ×

CHRONOLOGICALLY BLESSED

Thanks for the help!  That link was very useful.  I'd looked for information on the internet, but most just said breathe normally and that wasn't much help.  I made a few adjustments in how I was doing it based on the detail and it did help.  I'm getting some shallow breaths now, and I imagine as the core gets stronger I'll be able to pull more air.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Crystal Jade said:

Thanks for the help!  That link was very useful.  I'd looked for information on the internet, but most just said breathe normally and that wasn't much help.  I made a few adjustments in how I was doing it based on the detail and it did help.  I'm getting some shallow breaths now, and I imagine as the core gets stronger I'll be able to pull more air.

Congrats on picking up doing planks!  I had the same problem when I first started, so I remember what that was like.  One thing that helped me to remember to breathe was to whisper my counts outloud.  

• Like 1

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

My wife posted this on FB...and it seems appropriate.  Just a little NSFW in one scene.

• Like 4

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

15 hours ago, Granny Nogg said:

Congrats on picking up doing planks!  I had the same problem when I first started, so I remember what that was like.  One thing that helped me to remember to breathe was to whisper my counts outloud.  

Thanks!  I'm glad to hear it's not just me.  I'm really pleased I can do planks.  From my 20's into my 50's I had serious bad back issues.  I finally had to decide - either surgery or find a solution on my own, and I found solutions and now my back is strong.  I don't think I could have done planks or much other exercise before that.  That's why my husband was surprised to see me do them with good form!  

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, peelout said:

I've never done planks.  What does a bad form plank look like?

In a plank, your forearms from your elbows to your fingertips should be on the floor, and your toes should be supporting your feet, and everything from the back of your head through your back, butt, legs, to the heels of your feet should be (and remain) in a straight line.  Elbows should be at 90 degrees.  So any part of your head, chest, stomach, legs, etc. touching the ground is bad form.  Also, having your butt up in the air and knees bent is bad form.  You tend to go toward some of those positions when the muscles get tired, so you count the time in a plank as the time when your line is still straight.,

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Crystal Jade said:

In a plank, your forearms from your elbows to your fingertips should be on the floor, and your toes should be supporting your feet, and everything from the back of your head through your back, butt, legs, to the heels of your feet should be (and remain) in a straight line.  Elbows should be at 90 degrees.  So any part of your head, chest, stomach, legs, etc. touching the ground is bad form.  Also, having your butt up in the air and knees bent is bad form.  You tend to go toward some of those positions when the muscles get tired, so you count the time in a plank as the time when your line is still straight.,

Thanks.  I tried them tonight for the first time.  Gave me a new kind of pain so I decided to drop one of my other core exercises and try this for a month.  Would have been nice to have a mirror or someone critique me, but I think everything was in a straight line.  I'll have to ask someone to check out my form next time.

• Like 2

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

Can I ask my fellow chronologically blessed nerds to have a look at the thread I put up in the weight lifting programming thread?

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/80317-help-a-middle-aged-guy/#comment-1854998

I was doing Stronglifts for a few months and had some problems, which I'm hoping to solve using the changes I detail in the thread, I'm hoping someone more experienced than I am can tell me if I'm on the right track.

• Like 2
On 3/23/2016 at 7:43 AM, Mark D said:

Can I ask my fellow chronologically blessed nerds to have a look at the thread I put up in the weight lifting programming thread?

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/80317-help-a-middle-aged-guy/#comment-1854998

I was doing Stronglifts for a few months and had some problems, which I'm hoping to solve using the changes I detail in the thread, I'm hoping someone more experienced than I am can tell me if I'm on the right track.

If you don't hear from anyone in this thread, contact Wildross directly.   

• Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

On 3/23/2016 at 9:15 PM, SevenofSeven said:

Pain!

That's what a good-form plank looks like

• Like 1

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

On 3/23/2016 at 7:43 AM, Mark D said:

Did you get the input you were looking for and did you make a decision?

Current Challenge 

20 hours ago, peelout said:

Did you get the input you were looking for and did you make a decision?

I didn't get much feedback, I'm still looking.  Yesterday I discovered Greyskull LP which looks interesting, three sessions a week, two lifts a day (alternate bench and ohp, then squats twice a week and deadlift once), add accessory work if desired.  Two sets of five, followed by one set of as many reps as possible (amrap) except deadlifts which is just one set amrap.  Add 5 or 2 1/2 lb per session unless your amrap is over ten, then add double.  Do squats and deadlifts last instead of first.

I need to dig a little more, but that seems a little more forgiving of bad days and allows for recovery.

1 hour ago, Mark D said:

I didn't get much feedback, I'm still looking.  Yesterday I discovered Greyskull LP which looks interesting, three sessions a week, two lifts a day (alternate bench and ohp, then squats twice a week and deadlift once), add accessory work if desired.  Two sets of five, followed by one set of as many reps as possible (amrap) except deadlifts which is just one set amrap.  Add 5 or 2 1/2 lb per session unless your amrap is over ten, then add double.  Do squats and deadlifts last instead of first.

I need to dig a little more, but that seems a little more forgiving of bad days and allows for recovery.

I wasn't interested in stronglifts (squat and deadlift part) but I did borrow the 5x5 for my bench and cable pulldown exercises.  I liked the effect of the 5x5 vs the 3x10.  I also borrowed the increase wt at a regular frequency part, but I only increased once every 2 wks.  Slower growth I guess, but at least I'm not getting burnt out on it.  

Current Challenge 

Have you heard of Lou Schuler? He is published frequently in Men's Health magazine.  He and Alwyn Cosgrove have a series of books on the New Rules of Lifting. I got great results from the New Rules for Women program several years ago.

You might find this useful: The New Rules of Lifting for Life; it's designed for mid-lifers and better. There is also a lot of support for all the New Rules books at JP Fitness forums.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Rules-Lifting-Life-Muscle-Building/dp/1583335137/ref=pd_cp_14_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=087WP8QS9ER315KZSNCX

• Like 1

Had a hospital to hospital transfer today, 87 year old female. She didn't talk much, but she whispered to me, "I am going to get a tattoo for my birthday" I said "Cool, what are you going to get?" She replies "A beautiful rose bud on my titty" she put her hands to her mouth and giggled, the look in her eye was trouble with a capital T!

When we got to the hospital a police van was there, I said to our patient, "Oh look the police are here" Patient says "Well whatever they say it wasn't me!" I said "Maybe they heard about you wanting risqué tattoos!", she looks at me and says "Do you think our driver dobbed me in?" Then she starts giggling again.

Time like these I really enjoy my job, proves you are never too old for a sense of humour. 

• Like 8

Wait! What............?

15 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

Had a hospital to hospital transfer today, 87 year old female. She didn't talk much, but she whispered to me, "I am going to get a tattoo for my birthday" I said "Cool, what are you going to get?" She replies "A beautiful rose bud on my titty" she put her hands to her mouth and giggled, the look in her eye was trouble with a capital T!

When we got to the hospital a police van was there, I said to our patient, "Oh look the police are here" Patient says "Well whatever they say it wasn't me!" I said "Maybe they heard about you wanting risqué tattoos!", she looks at me and says "Do you think our driver dobbed me in?" Then she starts giggling again.

Time like these I really enjoy my job, proves you are never too old for a sense of humour. 

This is awesome! Hubby and I agree that we want to be like that when we're in our 80's. Except I don't want a tattoo. :P

• Like 4

Battle Log

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Fitbit, Epic Quest Character

Met up with some Homeschoolers today. I don't know if I will do it again. I seem to have nothing in common with them.........even though one couple have children similar in ages as my youngest, I just could not connect. I am so past discussing baby bowel movements and young children stuffing things in orrifaces that should not be stuffed with Lego.....

Then again it may have been due to one obnoxious little woman holding court. Any conversation was turned into everything about her. Not one other person had the opportunity to tell their story. There was a French woman whom I know nothing about, a couple who hiked the same areas of Nepal as I had, but we never got to finish any of our conversations. I just don't have time for that shit.

Then again, maybe I am just getting old and cantankerous.

Wait! What............?

3 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

Met up with some Homeschoolers today. I don't know if I will do it again. I seem to have nothing in common with them.........even though one couple have children similar in ages as my youngest, I just could not connect. I am so past discussing baby bowel movements and young children stuffing things in orrifaces that should not be stuffed with Lego.....

Then again it may have been due to one obnoxious little woman holding court. Any conversation was turned into everything about her. Not one other person had the opportunity to tell their story. There was a French woman whom I know nothing about, a couple who hiked the same areas of Nepal as I had, but we never got to finish any of our conversations. I just don't have time for that shit.

Then again, maybe I am just getting old and cantankerous.

I get that.  My wife and I don't have any kids, but the year we got married we took a trip with two other couples, once of whom had a little one (I'm guessing he was not quite two or so then, he's getting ready for college now).  I learned to absolutely HATE that stupid purple dinosaur, they brought ONE Barney video which was in the VCR whenever the kid was awake.  Sorry, don't need to hear about poop, boogers, poop, pee, poop, snot and poop constantly.

As for the obnoxious lady, isn't it amazing how one toxic person can ruin the evening for everyone?

• Like 3

Today is my 3wk anniversary of NOS (no smoking).  

$2000/yr savings

1hr/day increase in productive time use at work due to not taking smoking breaks

Massive heath benefits

• Like 7

Current Challenge