Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Oh, so it's the same plates, just converted to kilograms? I thought you meant that Europeans used plates that weighed different amounts. I'll gladly do the conversion. Or rather, let Excel do it.

We use round numbers in kg, so 2.5kg, 5kg, 10kg, 15kg, 20kg, 25kg rather than 5lb, 10lb, 25lb, 35lb, 45lb. (Are 55lb plates common?)

I have seen 45kg plates but they're not common or used on the platform.

We use round numbers in kg, so 2.5kg, 5kg, 10kg, 15kg, 20kg, 25kg rather than 5lb, 10lb, 25lb, 35lb, 45lb. (Are 55lb plates common?)

From what I hear 45lb is the common limit over in the states, in my gym it goes as high as 30kg I think and the dumbbell rack goes up to a pair of 60kg. Never seen a 45kg plate before, but then again I've only ever stepped foot in like three gyms in my life.

• Like 1

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

LOL...okay.  If you tell me what the standard bar and plates are in Kg, I'll be happy to work up a chart for you.

The gym i go to in America is especially confusing. The plates are all in lbs as you would expect, until you head on over to the deadlift platform where they have these plates:

20kg

15kg

10kg

10lbs

5lbs

Edit - Damn. Should read the rest of the replies before i post :)

I don't need a chart. My badly put across point was that in kg you don't really need a chart:

(these are plate conversions, not accurately scientific conversions)

45lbs -> 20kg

25lbs -> 10kg

10lbs -> 5kg

Bar -> 20kg

So kg numbers are far simpler. Only fractional ones are marginally more complicated as 2.5lbs -> 1.25kg.

• Like 1

My old gym have 90kg + dumbells and 50kg plates, but the owner was really into powerlifting. So they have all kind of ipf approved equipment.

I kind of miss it, too bad they have so high prices over there..

A little more back on topic, I once saw my old trainer/owner of the gym above throw a 20kg plate after someone (I think it was a 20kg, if my memory serves me right).

He also threw unlabeled cds out the window though.

At my workplace gym we have plates that are labelled in lbs AND kgs. So you never have to do the conversions. They simply say them both for you. Makes it kind of easy.

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

Oof.  That would be annoying! 

Would you like a chart without the 35s?

ETA:  It was easy enough just to put it together, so here you go:

Awesome!!  Thank you! 

=============================================================================================

My gym has a few 100# plates for the leg press, but other than that the highest we have are 45# plates.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Forgive my asking, but why wouldn't you just use pounds for everything? What's so special about kilograms?

Pounds are... I don't know what they represent. But they're a pain. Without looking it up, how many pounds does a gallon of water weigh? How many cubic feet would it take up?

A kilogram of pure water takes up one litre and would fill 1000 square milimetres.

There are 16 ounces to a pound and 14 pounds to a stone. I can't even remember how many stones are in a ton. And then there are less common weights, like a hundredweight (100 pounds? Or is that too easy? I am resisting the urge to Google).

Everything in metric is in powers of ten. 1000 grams to a kilogram. 1000 kilograms to a tonne. 1000 milimetres in a metre. 1000 metres in a kilometre.

• Like 2

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

Except it isn't. A pint is 568ml in the UK, which is 20oz or 1lb4oz.

20 fluid ounces... ounces and fluid ounces are different.

http://www.differencebetween.net/science/mathematics-statistics/difference-between-fluid-ounces-and-ounces/

and it's 8.34 pounds to be exact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallon

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

reminds me of a conversation I had once. Person I was with was talking about a bar she stopped into while travelling

So while I was there, I figured "In for a pint, in for a pound ..."

It's “In for a penny, in for a pound.â€

Huh?

The expression. It's "in for a penny, in for a pound."

That doesn't make any sense.

What do you mean?

Well, pennies and pounds don't go together.

Sure they do. They're money.

Yeah, but one's American and one's English.

They have pennies in England.

No, they don't. They're metric. See, “a pint's a pound the world around.†So, if you're in for a pint, you're in for a pound as well.

Fine

So while I was there, I figured "In for a pint, in for a pound ..."

Fuck you.

I think i speak for a few people when i say.... "huh?" ;)

Edit - 3rd time i got it

It looks like they are color coded.  Is there an education for somebody too lazy to look up on the internet what color is what weight?  (I'll figure it out soon.)

Pounds are... I don't know what they represent. But they're a pain. Without looking it up, how many pounds does a gallon of water weigh? How many cubic feet would it take up?

US Gallon or Imperial Gallon?

Except it isn't. A pint is 568ml in the UK, which is 20oz or 1lb4oz.

Every beer drinker should know this.  :*)

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

20 fluid ounces... ounces and fluid ounces are different.

http://www.differencebetween.net/science/mathematics-statistics/difference-between-fluid-ounces-and-ounces/

and it's 8.34 pounds to be exact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallon

UK fluid ounces are different from US fluid ounces (welcome to why Imperial measurements are insane).  UK fluid ounces are 28.4ml, US fluid ounces are 29.6ml. UK pints are 568ml, US pints are 473ml.

UK fluid ounces are different from US fluid ounces (welcome to why Imperial measurements are insane).  UK fluid ounces are 28.4ml, US fluid ounces are 29.6ml. UK pints are 568ml, US pints are 473ml.

This confused the hell out of me the first time i was in america and over drinking age. At the end of the holiday i turned to my mates and said "this is gonna sound stupid but these pints seems small, i feel like i have giant hands". Then they all chimed up that they'd felt the same, so we asked the barman. Luckily it was an Irish bar and an Irish chap so he knew exactly what was going on

This confused the hell out of me the first time i was in america and over drinking age. At the end of the holiday i turned to my mates and said "this is gonna sound stupid but these pints seems small, i feel like i have giant hands". Then they all chimed up that they'd felt the same, so we asked the barman. Luckily it was an Irish bar and an Irish chap so he knew exactly what was going on

So are Americans being short-changed on their beer?

It looks like they are color coded.  Is there an education for somebody too lazy to look up on the internet what color is what weight?  (I'll figure it out soon.)

If I recall correctly

25kg are red

20kg are blue

15kg are yellow

10kg are green

5kg are white

2.5kg are black and

1.25kg are silver.

I don't know if the color coding corresponds to something in particular.

Also, pounds, ounces, gallons, etc are a major source of confusion to me.

Level "I have no clue" Warrior

Current challenge

Battle log

Budweiser.... nuff said... :-)

I don't know if this is meant as derogatory, but being from St. Louis, I take it as a compliment.  :D  Very few beers taste as good as a Black Crown on tap that's literally less than an hour old.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I don't know if this is meant as derogatory, but being from St. Louis, I take it as a compliment.   :D  Very few beers taste as good as a Black Crown on tap that's literally less than an hour old.  

Just regular old Budweiser, in a can, in a box, from pretty much any store here... never had Black Crown, and maybe when I stop by St. Louis I'll have to try it...

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

I haven't overheard anything, but I always shake my head at the people who take the elevator up one floor to go hit the cardio machines.

Lol that's great, My gym doesn't even have elevators, making the stairs a bear after leg days  :onthego:

I've never overheard anything, but i was stretching after a workout, in advance pigeon (wear your back leg is at a 90 degree angle instead of on the ground) some guy walked up and asked if I was a human pretzel and proceeded to try and have a convo with me while I was trying to focus...

Don't think I'm helpless, just because I'm soft and cuddly! ~ Natasha Romanoff

My past is my own ~ Natasha Romanoff

I'm my own woman -- first, , last -- and always! ~ You get the idea, Black Widow is basically my role model....