Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Not everyone has to go "ass to grass". Unless you know what his goals are, or you're friends, I'd keep your thoughts to yourself.

I fully realize that and accept it. But these weren't even to 90 degrees in the knee. I was more like a weights ducking motion than a squat. Like a heavy twerk. If that was his goal, then Aces. But I don't see on how it was supposed to be a squat. Like you said though, I am no expert and I really kept my opinion to myself.

Nah, everyone in the gym loves it when you give them advice without them needing to ask, it shows that you care and in no way makes you seem like an ass.

LOL, yeah I pretty much am not going to verbalize anything in the gym unless directly approached, and clearly asked. I've had a couple of the gym ladies come up and ask me how I got so strong. 'Cause I strength train....' And they were flabberghasted by this. So yeah, I'm just going to do me and let others do them. But until I joined this group I never thought that someone else's form would make me twitch like that.

• Like 3

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

I fully realize that and accept it. But these weren't even to 90 degrees in the knee. I was more like a weights ducking motion than a squat. Like a heavy twerk. If that was his goal, then Aces. But I don't see on how it was supposed to be a squat. Like you said though, I am no expert and I really kept my opinion to myself.

And there may well have been something that you've done in the past which other people have felt equally superior about.

• Like 1

And there may well have been something that you've done in the past which other people have felt equally superior about.

Oh hell yeah. As I said, I recognized it as the type of 'squat' I was doing a couple of short months ago. I know for a fact that my form is not perfect and I try to make it better every time. I am proud of my progress and humbled by how far I still have to go. It's an interesting process for sure.

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

I hate seeing the personal trainers doing ridiculous programs with people who are new to fitness, especially with all the terrible advice I always overhear them giving people.

Neither attacking nor defending the point:

What is their market?  They are working with people who are new to fitness, or have trouble getting enough motivation to go to the gym without an appointment, or people on a cycle of dependence.

I have a theory that they do this to:

A) make the client feel that they'll never remember all the exercises so will need to keep paying for sessions

B) if they had the client doing basic lifts then why would the client keep coming back and paying them money?

They can write it down for you.  Then it is still too complicated to remember.  It might be that complicated because they are avoiding squats and deadlifts.

Unless you know what his goals are, or you're friends, I'd keep your thoughts to yourself.

This is wise advice.

The people at the gym who know what they are doing see what other people are doing and keep their thoughts to themselves.

• Like 1

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

I recently pulled up another experience powerlifter for putting down a newbie about his squat max.  It doesn't matter if there are girls in the gym lifting more it matters that he's progressing and enjoying training to want to continue that progression.   I also don't like being used as an excuse to put people down, I like my gym because no one is special or better than any one else, every one gets the same "That'll do pig" nod when they hit a PR.

The same lifter also made an off hand comment about the natty status of some other lifters when he's been under scrutiny himself recently.  Dude, have some sympathy, glass houses etc.

This guy isn't a bad guy but I think ego just gets him sometimes.

• Like 5

"Gentle means tired."

Battle Log / Youtube Channel / (lol am an..) Athlete Page

Level 4 Halfling Monk: STR - 181 | DEX - 12.5 | STA - 4.5 | CON - 6 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 7

or if people are going to get hurt because of the way they lift.

And do they listen?  Or does, "You can't fix stupid" apply?

• Like 1

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Want to play?  MFPvP

And do they listen? Or does, "You can't fix stupid" apply?

It depends, but a low budget gym as the one I an currently workibg out in, is a new thing where I live. And therefore it attracts a lot of people that have never lifted weights. And there is only one employee there and he is just in charge of keeping the equipment working etc, so the manager have asked me and some other guys to look after the "newbies" (atleast when they can get harmed).

Sorry for typos etc, wrote this on my phone..

It depends, but a low budget gym as the one I an currently workibg out in, is a new thing where I live. And therefore it attracts a lot of people that have never lifted weights. And there is only one employee there and he is just in charge of keeping the equipment working etc, so the manager have asked me and some other guys to look after the "newbies" (atleast when they can get harmed).

Sorry for typos etc, wrote this on my phone..

At least autocorrect did not change your message into something silly.

I can understand that, then.  So you sometimes have to teach them a lift from the ground up?

Some listen, some don't. Sometimes they have a reason that seems good to them that it's not worth arguing over.

I thought you just said you keep your thoughts to yourself if the person does not ask.

Hopefully, you do not get too frustrated with the people who do not listen.  Some just have to file the information, then come back and continue the discussion later.

Spoiler

Want to play?  MFPvP

I thought you just said you keep your thoughts to yourself if the person does not ask.

Hopefully, you do not get too frustrated with the people who do not listen. Some just have to file the information, then come back and continue the discussion later.

Or they're a friend. That was included in the first comment.

One of my training buddies does things that I think are crazy and I'll tell him so, but have to just let him do his thing.

Or they're a friend. That was included in the first comment.

One of my training buddies does things that I think are crazy and I'll tell him so, but have to just let him do his thing.

A couple of the ladies at work like to tell me I'm crazy, usually when I'm doing box jumps. I think that might have less to do with my form and more to do with my level of exertion though.

• Like 2

A couple of the ladies at work like to tell me I'm crazy, usually when I'm doing box jumps. I think that might have less to do with my form and more to do with my level of exertion though.

He's doing a really harsh cut whilst training six days a week and running morning and night.

Believe me when I say he's doing crazy things.

I worry about him but there's only so much I can do to talk him out of it.

• Like 2

He's doing a really harsh cut whilst training six days a week and running morning and night.

Believe me when I say he's doing crazy things.

I worry about him but there's only so much I can do to talk him out of it.

Sometimes the only thing we can do is hold the vomit-bucket and pick up the pieces at the end.

My apologies... I was thinking future, but forgot to put "Future" in front. Guess that's what happens when you watch the vid and post at the same time. :-)

How about this for an Honorary Darwin Award?

thumb-epic-fail-in-3-2-thedawgpound-6556

• Like 1

Spoiler

Want to play?  MFPvP

You guys just kickstarted my memory of a trainer at my old gym telling a guy this "When you're squatting this heavy you don't need to be as critical of how deep you squat". The guy squatting was me, bastard had me doing power curtsies for months before I got smart, I'm only now back to the same weigth but actually going below parallel.

Yesterday a trainer doing internship at my current gym was giving his client nutritional advice bewteen sets. I had to bite my hand to keep from throwing the 2.5kg weight in my hand at his head. He was telling his client "You can't live without sugar when you train, a good gatorade is perfect".

• Like 1

He was telling his client "You can't live without sugar when you train, a good gatorade is perfect".

Well, although I wouldn't go so far as to say you can't live without it, depending on what you're doing, sugar can be an extremely effective part of your training. The obvious scenario being for endurance athletes but even for people looking to build muscle sugar acts as a vehicle for shuttling protein to muscle cells.

That having been said, I try to avoid processed sugar except in certain specific instances (chocolate milk being my recovery drink of choice) and although the guy was probably a bone head, he may have had a point depending on the context.

• Like 1

Did I offer advice in my post?  Please keep the following in mind:

• I am not a doctor nor any other kind of medical professional.
  • I am not a lawyer.
  • I am not a mental health provider
  • I am not a nutritionist
  • Your mileage may vary
  • I don't do anything in moderation
  • I have lots of injuries & if you train like me, you probably will too.

How about this for an Honorary Darwin Award?

thumb-epic-fail-in-3-2-thedawgpound-6556

Yeah.. I think he's gonna end up with the actual one later.

I volunteer with Search and Rescue. Our (unofficial) motto: "Interfering with natural selection since 1963"

It should be official...

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Saw a curl bro in the squat rack today, and just ignored him to do my own thing. I'm doing 40 lbs over head pulls, 4 sets of 10 reps as part of a super set. When I take my rest minute I notice him doing the same move. Cool. But I notice he's really struggling and has bad form. Next set I see he's gone down in weight, smart. And then I notice: he'd tried to go with the 45 lbs weight and couldn't. He dropped down to 30 lbs and had no problem. I might be wrong but i do think he was trying to lift heavier than me on purpose.

Lol on the silly guy... and fully hypocritical because I'm always comparing myself to others (although I never change my weights because of it - I'm on my progression!). One of my favorite things to do is to run over to someone else's deadlift when they walk away for water or whatever, and try to lift it. Four plates on each side is a definite nope :P

• Like 3

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

Gatorade isn't for training...it's for hangovers...same as Powerade and Lucozade

and running suicides in the florida sun in mid August with full pads on.

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

Lol on the silly guy... and fully hypocritical because I'm always comparing myself to others (although I never change my weights because of it - I'm on my progression!). One of my favorite things to do is to run over to someone else's deadlift when they walk away for water or whatever, and try to lift it. Four plates on each side is a definite nope :P

I never know if I'm being sensitive or not. A lot of the guys I work out around are military and I've gotten my fair share of grief for being female and lifting weights. ..

I never know if I'm being sensitive or not. A lot of the guys I work out around are military and I've gotten my fair share of grief for being female and lifting weights. ..

Military Guys give grief just because...  if you're getting grief, its cause we like you :)

• Like 3

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr