Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

What is this cardio of which you speak????

:orange:

From what I've read on the subject of weight lifting shoes, some people advocate Chucks or something similar (Mehdi of Stronglifts fame for instance), some advocate weight lifting shoes with a heel (Mark Rippetoe for instance).  Seems to be a matter of personal preference.  I wear the Chucks because I'm cheap and so are they, and at my level they do everything I need them to do.  

The big problem with lifting in running shoes is that the soles are squishy, and therefore unstable.  Chucks are softer than actual weightlifting shoes.  Some people lift in just socks too, or in Vibrams or other minimalist shoes.

3 cheers for the barefoot lifters... :-D

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Protip for music, get some wireless headphones, I got mine like a month ago and it's made my training so much better now I don't have to prevent my phone falling out or worry about the wire being yanked out my ears midlift.

I wear what I think are running shirts, they were all gifts and I figure I don't have anything better to wear, though I do have some old t-shirts from my old days of being fat but I think they'd be too baggy to lift comfortably in. I've been thinking I might order some shirts off of broscience for the gym.

While on the subject of gym clothes, I've been wearing a pair of Nike running shoes (heel is thicker) for a while now but I've heard flat shoes are much better. Should I switch to converse for lifting, anyone? I've got a pair that I don't use very often and I've seen people using them and saying they're great.

I like the New Balance Minimus, since they're a stable platform for lifting and also a running shoe.

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Protip for music, get some wireless headphones, I got mine like a month ago and it's made my training so much better now I don't have to prevent my phone falling out or worry about the wire being yanked out my ears midlift.

I wear what I think are running shirts, they were all gifts and I figure I don't have anything better to wear, though I do have some old t-shirts from my old days of being fat but I think they'd be too baggy to lift comfortably in. I've been thinking I might order some shirts off of broscience for the gym.

While on the subject of gym clothes, I've been wearing a pair of Nike running shoes (heel is thicker) for a while now but I've heard flat shoes are much better. Should I switch to converse for lifting, anyone? I've got a pair that I don't use very often and I've seen people using them and saying they're great.

Converse rip-offs (eg, Donnay) from sportsdirect. They're like £7 a pair. Brilliant for the price.

Having said that i like barefoot shoes for lifting, and "cardio" :)

I've been to a couple of sessions of a mixed-up Strongman class, and there's a big shoe issue for me. Something flat for the lifts. Something supportive for the running. And something very grippy for the prowler/sled pushes. My shoes came off last time :(

I've ordered what looks like a kind of all-purpose 'studio' shoe which might fit the bill.

warrior : level 8

str: 20.75 | dex: 13.75 | sta: 11.75 | con: 9.75 | wis: 8.25 | cha: 4.75

''Difficult' and 'impossible' are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common' - Locke Lamora

I lift in socks at home. If nobody is watching at the gym I'll slip my shoes off and lift like that there too. I'm a complete rule follower normally so I always feel like I am going to get kicked out for that. I've mentioned before that my gym finds delts too racy for public viewing. I don't know what might happen if a staff member catches my ankles prancing around like the wanton malleoli they are.

• Like 5

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

In socks aren't you worried about slipping? I would be, lots of smooth surfaces to slip on and smash your head on a barbell. Thinking about it I probably could lift in socks at my gym without getting shit for it, then again the other day someone who worked there accidentally slammed a box jump platform thing on my hand, so maybe it's not worth the risk.

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

Nope, not worried about it. At home, I squat on a platform made out of plywood so the splinters keep my feet locked in place. Hahahaboohoo. No, seriously, it has enough texture on it that my feet don't move. When I deadlift and do RDLs, I'm on this old area rug that has a bit of texture on it as well so I don't slip there either.

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

I lift in socks at home. If nobody is watching at the gym I'll slip my shoes off and lift like that there too. I'm a complete rule follower normally so I always feel like I am going to get kicked out for that. I've mentioned before that my gym finds delts too racy for public viewing. I don't know what might happen if a staff member catches my ankles prancing around like the wanton malleoli they are.

I'm going to refer back to the army crawl treadmill competition where they actually had to state in the rules that clothing was not optional and must be worn. I'm not saying someone stripped and went buck wild on the treadmill, but then again with the army guys I wouldn't put it entirely passed them either....

• Like 1

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

I'm going to refer back to the army crawl treadmill competition where they actually had to state in the rules that clothing was not optional and must be worn. I'm not saying someone stripped and went buck wild on the treadmill, but then again with the army guys I wouldn't put it entirely passed them either....

Friggin' privates...

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

I've been to a couple of sessions of a mixed-up Strongman class, and there's a big shoe issue for me. Something flat for the lifts. Something supportive for the running. And something very grippy for the prowler/sled pushes. My shoes came off last time :(

I've ordered what looks like a kind of all-purpose 'studio' shoe which might fit the bill.

I change into cleats for sled pushes.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

So I pretty much do everything in my red chucks. I've heard a lot of good things about the Reeboks Alex mentioned, I think they were designed by Mark Bell or some shit.

I've generally just become attached to my red chucks as my exercise shoe.  I mean I squat, bench, press, pull and run baby triathlons in them.

Though, I often deadlift just in socks.  Again, much like Alex said, I find doing conventional deadlifts in just socks easier than sumo, but I've pulled sumo in them as well.

• Like 1

Oh!  The only thing I don't like chucks for are moving strongman training like yoke run or farmer's carries.  I tend to like my Nike Dunks for those, but I hear Adidas Sambas are really popular among strongmen.

I actually have two pairs of chucks, white ones I wear for the gym and black ones for every-day use.  I call the black ones my down-Chucks, because of course the ones I wear for the gym are my up-Chucks.

I find if I walk a lot in them my feet hurt, I think it's not so much the lack of support or cushioning as that they're very flexible.  My walking shoes (New Balance) are stiffer.

• Like 2

The only gear I really spend sizable chunks of money on is equipment. I'm working on acquiring a well-equipped garage gym. Currently on the wish list are a C2, a set of kettlebells, a couple more bars, and a bar holder...and maybe more plates...and eventually a tire and stone molds. The way I see it, that's the money I've saved by not joining a CrossFit box so far.

• Like 2

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

The only gear I really spend sizable chunks of money on is equipment. I'm working on acquiring a well-equipped garage gym. Currently on the wish list are a C2, a set of kettlebells, a couple more bars, and a bar holder...and maybe more plates...and eventually a tire and stone molds. The way I see it, that's the money I've saved by not joining a CrossFit box so far.

I'm a girl for whom cute leggings are an essential and VPLs are an anathema. 

• Like 1