Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

So yesterday at the gym someone actually used the smith machine for something usefull! He put some plates on the bar then added some chains and proceeded to shimmy under the bar on his belly (by this point I didn't know wtf he was doing), then proceeded to do push-ups!

Gotta hand it to the guy I never thought of using the smith machine to load my push-ups.

Wait, chains and plates for push ups?  I understand the chains if he was suspending himself, but what were the plates for?  To stabilize the bar? 

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Str- 18, Dex-12, Sta-10, Con-23, Wis-88, Cha-47

"Not all who wander are lost."

"We Shall Not Practice Fear"

Current Battlelog

Wait, chains and plates for push ups?  I understand the chains if he was suspending himself, but what were the plates for?  To stabilize the bar? 

Add weight... the bar is on his back when he starts his pushups.

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

For that matter, so were the chains - I'm not exactly sure *why* chains on a Smith machine, but there ya go.

Chains add weight, but they also add a "sway" factor to account for in free lifting, which makes the exercise that much harder.  Or so I've been told.

So yesterday at the gym someone actually used the smith machine for something usefull! He put some plates on the bar then added some chains and proceeded to shimmy under the bar on his belly (by this point I didn't know wtf he was doing), then proceeded to do push-ups!

Gotta hand it to the guy I never thought of using the smith machine to load my push-ups.

Seems like an awful lot of work to load push-ups, but I guess it's still not a bad use for the Smith machine. 

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

For that matter, so were the chains - I'm not exactly sure *why* chains on a Smith machine, but there ya go.

Chains add weight, but they also add a "sway" factor to account for in free lifting, which makes the exercise that much harder.  Or so I've been told.

I've also heard that since the chains have some of the weight on the floor, so barbells will get heavier as you raise it. This helps with making it weigh the most when you're almost fully extended, which is when your able to move the most.

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

Seems like an awful lot of work to load push-ups, but I guess it's still not a bad use for the Smith machine.

Yeah I agree, I would have just put the chains on my back/shoulders.

Though loaded push-ups aren't super easy if you don't have a weighted vest or some to put a plate on your back.

I'm finding this image more and more useful....

http://www.livestrong.com/article/361972-what-is-the-official-size-of-the-nfl-football/

Notice the length....

"About 11 inches ball" doesn't roll off the tongue nearly the same...

Okay. I will accept "footlong egg".

• Like 1

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

Okay. I will accept "footlong egg".

Which through linguistic evolution will get changed to footlong ball, since it was orginally shaped like a sphere, and then shortened to football and you'll be right back here... trying to figure out why they call it a football. :-)

• Like 1

My first challenge

We were doing choke from the from practice in class one night and one of the women wanted me to choke her a few times to see if it would work..

after a few rounds she turned to her female training partner and said "you have to try him, he's hard to get off..."

• Like 9

"My mind has changed My body's frame but God I like it

My hearts aflame My body's strained but God I like it"

We were doing choke from the from practice in class one night and one of the women wanted me to choke her a few times to see if it would work..

after a few rounds she turned to her female training partner and said "you have to try him, he's hard to get off..."

amazing. please tell me you asked her out to dinner after that

• Like 2

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

I've also heard that since the chains have some of the weight on the floor, so barbells will get heavier as you raise it. This helps with making it weigh the most when you're almost fully extended, which is when your able to move the most.

Chains and bands do that. Sometimes called accommodating resistance--a big part of the Westside Method, or so I read. The main principle is the acceleration. With free weights you have to decelerate near the end of the lift (unless they're Olympic lifts) so your muscles aren't getting as much work at that particular ROM. (Hence the reason some people use quarter reps and lockouts with >1RM.) With accommodating resistance the load is reduced at the "sticking point" and greatest when you have the most mechanical advantage (near the top), so it's supposed to make your movements more "functional". I guess. I only use them for pullups.

Which through linguistic evolution will get changed to footlong ball, since it was orginally shaped like a sphere, and then shortened to football and you'll be right back here... trying to figure out why they call it a football. :-)

1239361_10153823619630078_1426522144_n.p

• Like 2

Chains and bands do that. Sometimes called accommodating resistance--a big part of the Westside Method, or so I read. The main principle is the acceleration. With free weights you have to decelerate near the end of the lift (unless they're Olympic lifts) so your muscles aren't getting as much work at that particular ROM. (Hence the reason some people use quarter reps and lockouts with >1RM.) With accommodating resistance the load is reduced at the "sticking point" and greatest when you have the most mechanical advantage (near the top), so it's supposed to make your movements more "functional". I guess. I only use them for pullups.

1239361_10153823619630078_1426522144_n.p

Mz08u.jpg

• Like 5

My first challenge

Today I was squatting and the gym owner comes up to me and goes "You know theres another guy here, bit chubby that squats alot. He was squatting 170kg yesterday, but he doesn't go to parralel." Which instantly made me go "Then he doesn't squat 170kg". Asked how deep the guy goes, seems he goes utill his knees are 90 degrees. Tell him that can easily give a 50kg difference, he didn't believe me so I did a set of 3 halfreps With 200kg. (My normal 1 rep max is 150kg) It's so damn easy with such a short ROM :D

Which of us is the dude?

Screen-Shot-2012-12-05-at-4.46.51-PM.jpg

• Like 1

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

In addition to what Machete said, it's also just to make the top portion of the lift harder, since as the bar goes up, the chain links come off the ground, and are instead supported by the bar, making it heavier the higher it goes. It's used in Westside and other "geared" (bench shirts and squat suits) lifting programs because the gear adds more support in the bottom of the lift, where it is stretched out more. So, since their competition lifts themselves are harder at the top, they train in such a way as to mimic that without having to climb into their gear (quite a process I hear) and it has more carry over to their competition lifts compared to benching or squatting straight weight. This is the reason you don't see it used nearly as much in RAW lifting, what most of us do here, because the hardest parts of the lift are the bottom or near the bottom in those cases, so we don't want a lighter weight there.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf