Forums are back in action! ×

13 hours ago, Sovalis said:

@Amaroq Apprentice isn't able to post images yet, so I'm posting them on behalf. 

Splendid! Who did the drawing and who did the embroidery? I do like the ruffles portrayed in the embroidery.

12 hours ago, Rookie said:

I did a fun little sketch of a happy guy from memory

Looking good! Our collection is growing!!!

2 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

This is weirdly captivating. Can't draw a straight line if my life depended on it, but on board to keep up with the slug art!

Just a snail spectator, eh? Fair enough.

1 hour ago, Jarric said:

A quick(ish) attempt at a D&D Flail Snail:

Noice! I like the striped shell and textured flesh.

59 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Here are some of my favourites, scorpion spider conchs. They’re very charismatic little critters and almost always come in pairs if not more. ?

Groovy! I like that I can see the conch over and undersides. And thank you for the information on Oreo anuses. 

• Like 3

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

I tried the ruffled sea thing again and simplified the ruffles. Definitely not as complex and ruffly as the reference and doing realistic lighting on all those shapes is beyond my powers. But it's the best I could manage and I think it's cute

slug2small.png.9cf2aa7d1396e215c0a736f10ea6f27d.png

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
  • That's Metal 4

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

2 hours ago, Jarric said:

A quick(ish) attempt at a D&D Flail Snail:

uAqz7Nw.jpeg

I love flail snails. They amuse me so much. Good job!

• Thanks 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Splendid! Who did the drawing and who did the embroidery? I do like the ruffles portrayed in the embroidery.

@Amaroq Apprentice did the embroidery and their daughter did the drawing. 

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Question. If you eat snails after breakfast but before lunchtime, is it nudibrunch?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ha that’s rad! Is it blind?

You know, that's a very good question. They have darkvision, so they're definitely not blind, but I have no idea what they see through if their eyestalks have been replaced with flails...

I love yours by the way, they're so cool!

4 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

@Jarric ooh, snap. ? i was also thinking of doing one. Pipped me to the post.

they are so cool and one of my favourite monsters

You should do one too! There's no rule against having more than one of the same snail. I do love how silly they are :lol:

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

I tried the ruffled sea thing again and simplified the ruffles. Definitely not as complex and ruffly as the reference and doing realistic lighting on all those shapes is beyond my powers. But it's the best I could manage and I think it's cute

That's so cute! I love it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 18  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 11  -  SAN: 19  -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric: The 'C' Team

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

1 hour ago, Jarric said:

You know, that's a very good question. They have darkvision, so they're definitely not blind, but I have no idea what they see through if their eyestalks have been replaced with flails...

I figured tremorsense would make more, ehm... sense, so I looked it up. Apparently they got both and seem to have some sort of natural luminescence at the end of the stalks, which would explain the darkvision.

Then again, it's a flail snail. Reading too much into this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lvl 65 Multitasker

7 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Then again, it's a flail snail. Reading too much into this.

No, I require all of my fantasy creatures to be totally logical with fully explainable abilities, damnit! 

• Haha 6

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 18  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 11  -  SAN: 19  -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric: The 'C' Team

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

5 hours ago, Harriet said:

This is beautiful. The colours of the ruffles are so rich. 

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, Jarric said:

That's so cute! I love it

18 hours ago, Amaroq Apprentice said:

This is beautiful. The colours of the ruffles are so rich. 

Thank you both ? You are feeding my snail ambitions!

18 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Y'all I have 30 reference photos of slugs and snails now.  What is happening ? 

This is totally normal art project prep. Now go forth and paint! 

loop charge GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I painted a slug thing. Once again I feel limited mostly by my patience for details.

slug3small.png.cae8a453afab50556158abd2ec35c109.png

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 3

On 2/11/2024 at 10:24 PM, Everstorm said:

Y'all I have 30 reference photos of slugs and snails now.  What is happening

Ok, i now have about that many nudibrach images (which is probubly overly ambitious considering how long ago i last drew, but no guts no glory and all that.)

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

the creative spelling comes as standard. Enjoy! 
A journey of thousand miles, begins with a single step - Lao Tzu

Challenge: #1#2#3#4#5#6#7#8

14 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Offering #2

This is one of your nicest paintings yet. I love the natural colours you achieved (for some reason, greens can come out really garish in paintings) and also the shiny bumpy texture you achieved on the body. Very characteristic of slug flesh!

• Like 3

Snail 4. I like this one. I think I managed to get a hint of translucency without spending too much time fussing over it. 

Slug4small.png.32bd8a53863d8bfccd57e874473f9856.png

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 4

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

This is one of your nicest paintings yet. I love the natural colours you achieved (for some reason, greens can come out really garish in paintings) and also the shiny bumpy texture you achieved on the body. Very characteristic of slug flesh!

The greens were such a bear to get even close to right.  My process went "this is awful, this is awful, this is...acceptable" lol.  I was pretty pleased with the snail texture, though.

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination