Forums are back in action! ×

Everyday Exercise ideas

tigersheart

Hi all,

this post is a two part post. Part 1, is part of my current Assassin challenge thread, so if you read the Assassins forum, you will see a duplicate.

Part 2, is I had an idea that I wanted to share with all of NF. That idea is for now what I call 'Everyday Exercise'. It is basic ideas I have come up with, or heard/read about, or saw someplace else for using home made exercise equipment.

I know that Steve has covered how to exercise without 'gym' equipment on some posts, and I am not trying to top that. I just want to share some ideas I use off and on, and am in no way suggesting I have a corner on the market, I just wanted to share with others some stuff I use for home exercise :)

So, this is what this is about:

This is the first vid of "Everyday Exercise" ideas that I had. I am sure that most of you already use them, or know of them, but if not, I hope I can give some ideas that can be used by some of you without hitting the gym, or buying expensive equipment.

I know that everyone does not have access to the space I have, one benefit of living in southern arizona...lots of space! But be creative, we are all intelligent people on NF, and I know you can modify what you see to work for you :)

Todays video is about the highly technical piece of exercise equipment called..."The Rope"......ohhhh makes me shiver with excitement...ummm okay maybe not, but a rope can be fun.

These are just a few ideas I use a rope for, and there are others, but I kept the video to a minimum, partly because I do not wish to bore anyone, and I am still learning how to make these.

Hope you enjoy, even for a laugh

More to come soon with different equipment!

Please NOTE: I am not an medical or exercise professional in any way, and these videos are not meant for the purpose of coaching.

If you do any of these exercises, make sure you modify them for your fitness level, and please be careful.

That is a pretty keen idea - thanks for the video!

I hear that you might not be an exercise professional, but do you know (or can someone else answer) what the mechanical differences are between the first thing you did and the incline (Aussie) pullups that everyone recommends for progress toward a real pullup? I can find a safe rope MUCH more easily than a safe pullup bar...

Also, can I borrow your truck? My plastic car just ain't gonna be the same. (Although at my level, that's probably for the best.)

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

Amazingly awesome! Going to look in my garage,surely we have some rope.

I'm thinking of throwing some bricks we have unto my son's old sled and pulling that. Not as awesome as pulling the car, but about my pace.

The other day I threw some kettlebells and bricks into a milk crate we had and lugged it around.

I also took 2 buckets and filled them with gravel and lugged them around. Then when that got easy, I just threw my kettlebells in the buckets to make them heavier.

And if you read my challenge you know I love the slegehammer for working out.

Using stuff I already have not only makes the frugal part of me happy, it seems somehow more primal.

t

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Cool video! The only thing I'm missing is a rope and a place to hang it over........ oh......

I could get a rope at the store around the corner (okay not literally, but 5 min walk is nothing)... but then I'd need a place to work out...

Nowhere indoors I have such a place. I don't have a yard... Apartment building ftw... not...

I could go to the park and try to find a tree though.

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

Amazingly awesome! Going to look in my garage,surely we have some rope.

I'm thinking of throwing some bricks we have unto my son's old sled and pulling that. Not as awesome as pulling the car, but about my pace.

The other day I threw some kettlebells and bricks into a milk crate we had and lugged it around.

I also took 2 buckets and filled them with gravel and lugged them around. Then when that got easy, I just threw my kettlebells in the buckets to make them heavier.

And if you read my challenge you know I love the slegehammer for working out.

Using stuff I already have not only makes the frugal part of me happy, it seems somehow more primal.

t

Yup, you are doing exactly what I love to do. Make stuff up as you go along!

And yes, been following your challenge, and I too love the sledgehammer as well :D

keep up the great ideas!

Cool video! The only thing I'm missing is a rope and a place to hang it over........ oh......

I could get a rope at the store around the corner (okay not literally, but 5 min walk is nothing)... but then I'd need a place to work out...

Nowhere indoors I have such a place. I don't have a yard... Apartment building ftw... not...

I could go to the park and try to find a tree though.

Yes I FULLY understand how apartment living can really hinder being able to do things like this, and it is fully understandable. Some ideas just will not work for some people based on location, or ability....it is okay.

Even though you do not have a yard, you can still pull stuff, even if it is without a rope. Depending on your apartment, you could throw a blanket down...put something really heavy(heavy for you is all that matters) on it, and sit/stand at one end of your apartment, and pull it to the other.....then do it the opposite way as well :D Though I do know that the living spaces in Holland can be quite small at times, I am just tossing out and idea that just popped into my head :)

Yes I FULLY understand how apartment living can really hinder being able to do things like this, and it is fully understandable. Some ideas just will not work for some people based on location, or ability....it is okay.

Even though you do not have a yard, you can still pull stuff, even if it is without a rope. Depending on your apartment, you could throw a blanket down...put something really heavy(heavy for you is all that matters) on it, and sit/stand at one end of your apartment, and pull it to the other.....then do it the opposite way as well :D Though I do know that the living spaces in Holland can be quite small at times, I am just tossing out and idea that just popped into my head :)

Ah I can definitely do that!! Thanks!

From my front door to my dinner table (so through the hallway and living room) is about 10 meters maybe?

I'm not really in a small apartment :) I'm not living in the big Dutch cities that have ridiculously small apartments for ridiculous prices!

(my view is endless grass and sheep and cows!)

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

Archived