Forums are back in action! ×

Citius, Altius, Fortius - Olympics!

andygates

The Olympics are coming at the end of the month and I'm stoked. I have this thing about them, for all their (obvious, well-publicised, perennial) problems they're still the Greatest Show On Earth when it comes to humans doing crazy things in competition.

I think I'm going to divert my inspiration into dabbling with the Olympic lifts. My powerlifts could do with a bit of explosiveness, and nothing is more boss than a lot of weight flying around. I too will have a terrifying snatch. 8)

How 'bout youse nerds? Anyone spurred on to higher, faster, stronger things?

I love the Olympics! Every sport. I dvr them and go on "news blackout" all day. And the spousal unit has found me up in the wee hours of the morning watching badminton and table tennis.

I am really into swimming right now (for a variety of reasons). I am inspired to make my 200m swim the sprint it should be (oh dear god...).

I also just bought a road bike so I shall ride as fast as the wind.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Yes. I love the Olympics too. Certainly looking forward to the ratings-generating drama between Phelps and Lochte in the pool this year. Always enjoy gymnastics, track and field. I love the winter Olympics, too. I really dig the biathlon. Try cross-country skiing then trying to hold a rifle steady. Yeah.

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

So much goodness in the form of the Olympics.

It is amusing that, sports you would never watch on a standard telecast become fixating.

I'll be watching the swimming, as always a strong Aussie contingent going.

Mind you, other side of the world telecasts..... not too sure if i'll be staying up late to watch much else. As per the Gatesman, the lifting will be a close second to swimming.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

I remember watching the rowers four years ago before I'd ever really been on a team and just being amazed. Now, after watching countless hours of racing footage online, I can finally see the races for real. The US team trials were amazing (if you want to see one of the greatest comebacks ever, watch the last minute of the

).

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Big hockey fan here, go the hockeyroos & kookaburras!!

Great memories of the Sydney Olympics watching the hockeyroos win gold (yep I was there & great atmosphere).

Will also have much more of an interest in the weightlifting this time around:)

'Don't quit, two words, that's it' :-)

I can't watch the biathlon anymore cuz all I can think of is this video and I start laughing.

That opens up a whole lot of possibilities for many sports....I can think of some good new competitions like ultimate discus

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I'll watch it. I guess I'm only a mediocre fan. Swimming and sprinting interest me most, though I'll also watch gymnastics. I'm not real interested in the Oly lifting though, it is about as entertaining as watching paint dry.

If you read Lyle McDonald's long treatise about why the US sucks at Oly lifting, I'm very much the stereotypical Amercian; I'm not much for sporting nuances (unless of course the sport is Amercian Football), instead preferring short races with obvious winners and losers. Even though I do gymnastics for strength training, I find the non-strength elements to be pretty boring, especially since at the world level it is just a homogenous mix of the hardest stuff, not the coolest stuff. But my wife loves it.

They need a Ninja Warrior type event at the Olympics.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

I'm trying very hard to be excited about the Olympics, but my weekend training rink will be closed and melted for a month to become a giant bar/big screens sponsor venue. Same thing's happened to a friend who does a different sport. So much for boosting grassroots sport participation in London.

Still at least I've been nudged into taking up cycle commuting to avoid the public transport crowds.

"she interpreted falling down not merely as a means of improving, but as evidence that she was improving." - Matthew Syed on Shizuka Arakawa.Frost elf assassin after 4 challenges: STR: 11 | DEX: 12 | STA: 7.5 | CON 5 | WIS 7.5 | CHA: 5.5My Fitocracy profile"

I'm just sitting here upset that baseball has been discontinued. Like the only time Dutch tv would air baseball!!!

Did I mention I like baseball??? But seriously 2008 I was totally watching baseball whenever it was on and I could watch!!

So not that excited about this time around. I'll probably only catch something here and there or nothing at all.

Only thing is maybe handball, something I used to play when I was younger.

I'll be in London either way! Because I'll be going on the Harry Potter tour... and when we were getting to booking and all it was like... oh... yeah... olympics.

But it's just a weekend and apparently we'll be avoiding traffic mostly anyway.

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

I'll watch it. I guess I'm only a mediocre fan. Swimming and sprinting interest me most, though I'll also watch gymnastics. I'm not real interested in the Oly lifting though, it is about as entertaining as watching paint dry.

I love the men's gymnastics but only for the strength and dexterity stuff. I hate the "subjective" nature of a lot of it. That's also why I hate women's gymnastics (plus it's little girls versus real women). I have the same issue with diving.

If you read Lyle McDonald's long treatise about why the US sucks at Oly lifting, I'm very much the stereotypical Amercian; I'm not much for sporting nuances (unless of course the sport is Amercian Football), instead preferring short races with obvious winners and losers.

That was a really good article. I like sports that are as clear cut as possible. However, seems strange this year re: track.... LOL.

They need a Ninja Warrior type event at the Olympics.

How about MMA? My guess is that crossfit isn't too far off.....

I AM going the distance

I love the Olympics! Every sport. I dvr them and go on "news blackout" all day. And the spousal unit has found me up in the wee hours of the morning watching badminton and table tennis.

I am really into swimming right now (for a variety of reasons). I am inspired to make my 200m swim the sprint it should be (oh dear god...).

I also just bought a road bike so I shall ride as fast as the wind.

I want to be like you when I grow up!

I was really enjoying watching the swimming tryouts....missed a friend's daughter trying out...because we moved, and our TV was actually a built in in our RV Trailer.

Now, our big question is do we take money and buy a bed, or a TV????

Since we're doing the no debt thing...it takes on a whole new level of priority discussions!

My nod to the Olympics is to hope to complete all three portions of a sprint triathlon by the end of the year. It would be GREAT to do all three in ONE day!

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

I'm just sitting here upset that baseball has been discontinued. Like the only time Dutch tv would air baseball!!!

Did I mention I like baseball??? But seriously 2008 I was totally watching baseball whenever it was on and I could watch!!

Agreed. And as I recall, Dutch teams have been pretty good at baseball recently. But yes, I'm disappointed that the Olympics isn't fielding baseball this time around.

EDIT: Now I see that the Netherlands holds the most gold medals (by far) from the European Baseball Championship.

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

Archived