Forums are back in action! ×

Plank and breathing???

Siferiax

So I figured out my main problem with doing plank: I can't breath.... which is pretty vital for more than just plank...

But I just can't figure out a way to breath + do plank...

I have seen this problem before.... I have a lower back issue. Basically I stand with my butt out. So all my life my mom's been trying to get me to stand straight.

So rotate hips forward, and etc. This pretty much has the same problem: can't figure out how to breath.

I can't hold the position and breath at the same time.

Any tips?! Am I doing something wrong?!

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

Nope, muscle weakness is the source of your breathing issues.

Core strength can be faked a little by holding your breath or tightening in a way that prevents breathing.

Holding planks and striving to do so perfectly straight, with your hips rotatated forward, should strengthen things pretty quick, so that breathing isn't an issue.

Over time it should help your posture as well if you stay mindful of it. Another tip for posture is that excessive hip tilt is aso often associated with hunching and rounding the shoulders forward, Pull your shoulder blades together, stick out your chest a little, and it should be easier to roll your hips forward and stand upright.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

You might consider doing some hyperextensions to get your back muscles strengthened to assist with planking first. That is, if you have a means available to execute them.

Gardens are not made by singing 'Oh, how beautiful,' and sitting in the shade.

Rudyard Kipling

Nope, muscle weakness is the source of your breathing issues.

Core strength can be faked a little by holding your breath or tightening in a way that prevents breathing.

Holding planks and striving to do so perfectly straight, with your hips rotatated forward, should strengthen things pretty quick, so that breathing isn't an issue.

Over time it should help your posture as well if you stay mindful of it. Another tip for posture is that excessive hip tilt is aso often associated with hunching and rounding the shoulders forward, Pull your shoulder blades together, stick out your chest a little, and it should be easier to roll your hips forward and stand upright.

Alright. OH WOW! Just tried that shoulder blades tip.... that works like insane?! I could hold the position and (almost) breath normally. Thanks!!

You might consider doing some hyperextensions to get your back muscles strengthened to assist with planking first. That is, if you have a means available to execute them.

Nope :( Also I don't think my back muscles are the issue? Mostly my abdominal muscles lack any sort of strength... or at least I think my back muscles are stronger... both are weak overall considered.

Don't have access to any gym equipment though... I'm not part of a gym. I honestly can't afford that right now (I looked into it really). It's too bad, there's a gym like 10min walk from my house (only one in my town) and it's so expensive!!! Because you get like group lessons included :| which are all cardio classes.

It's not like I'm poor or struggling financially, but I just can't do my target savings and go to the gym. Though I have a job offer to consider since today which would really help.

Spoiler

Don't have access to any gym equipment though... I'm not part of a gym. I honestly can't afford that right now (I looked into it really). It's too bad, there's a gym like 10min walk from my house (only one in my town) and it's so expensive!!! Because you get like group lessons included :| which are all cardio classes.

It's not like I'm poor or struggling financially, but I just can't do my target savings and go to the gym. Though I have a job offer to consider since today which would really help.

Gyms, one needs not these things....

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?7756-Bodyweight-Exercise-Resources

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Be conscious of your seated posture too - I find it helps me a lot in plank if I pay attention to my posture and breathing the rest of the time too. Tucking the shoulders back and down and tilting my pelvic floor a little forward "opens up" my chest allowing for what feels like deeper breathing.

the power of [geekhood] compels me:

"Oh, I'm gonna hit you so hard, your children will be born bruised!" -- Tank Girl

"Do you know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other people killed. You can look it up later." -- Zoe Washburn

"No, people are particularly stupid today. I can't talk to anymore of them." -- Michel Gerard

"A vague disclaimer is nobody's friend. Have fun!" -- Willow Rosenberg

Sure, but we were talking about hyperextensions...

Be conscious of your seated posture too - I find it helps me a lot in plank if I pay attention to my posture and breathing the rest of the time too. Tucking the shoulders back and down and tilting my pelvic floor a little forward "opens up" my chest allowing for what feels like deeper breathing.

Yes I've been practicing posture these days. Can't say I manage behind a computer, but I've been seeing a lot of improvement in my car.

Only thing I can't focus on is breathing... if I do I fail at breathing. I seriously get problems and if not careful start hyperventilating and whatever.

Spoiler

Here's a great resource on correcting the 'butt-out' computer guy posture. Have been working some of these mobility exercises into my stretch routing, sometimes even on off training days!

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/ewrr0/writeup_on_the_dreaded_anterior_pelvic_tilt_or/

Oh awesome! Thanks so much for that resource! I read it and will definitely try out some of those exercises!

Spoiler

Archived