Forums are back in action! ×

Epic Goal Reached; Get into the Art School!

Roselyn

At the age of 23, i stood up to everyone and everything and after a year of hard work i made it into the Art School.

When i was 16 i knew i couldn't live without arts or drawing. I knew i had to do it for the rest of my life. But the society and my family thought it was a foolish dream. I was soon overwhelmed, and chose to obey, studied Landscape Architecture as it was my parents' wish and lived a horrible 5 years while doing it. I always questioned myself and wanted to drop out of the school; everytime i tried, i was getting scolded and pressured, made change my mind. Last year, I graduated and got my Bachelors. It was my chance.

Every great adventure starts with the first step; i found a nice atelier i can work in and a good teacher. Yes, every week we argued with my parents once or twice about the hardships -because we were economically having problems and me studying for 4 more years would be a pressure, but i assured i'll be working part-time at first then be able to get freelance jobs. Still, the fights went on, at a point i had to leave my atelier because we can't afford it. My teacher decided to teach me for free, so i was back on track.

For the last 2 weeks i was moving around the country, having my art school exams. I had my friends' support, my family's as well in a surprising way. Once it was announced that i got into my dream school, they were the happiest.

Now comes the scary part.

For 24 years i lived with my family. And my parents will be out of the town in the process of me moving out. I'm on my own looking for an apartment, get furniture, finding a job. Meanwhile i have paperwork for the school as well. I have limited money. And i'm scared as well.

Living in my own house has been my dream for a long time. Just like the art school. And now that it's becoming real, i'm so terrified to take the step, i want to sht the door and stay inside my comfort zone. But i know my friends and my lover will be kicking me out of the comfort zone if i can't walk on my own. It's hard, but i have to do it. I have to face my escapist personality and get myself a house, prove myself i can do it.

This year was great; i got better in my art, i got into my dream school, took another step towards my career goals, dropped off some mental weight from my shoulders with some past issues, reconnected with friends and got some self-confidence. Only negative thing is i couldn't lose weight, but it's my new primary goal now. Now that all the stress is gone i no longer feel need for junk food or carbs. I feel like eating lots of greens!

Well, everything happens for a reason i believe. I have made it into the art school, i believe the rest will come along too.

Now i can cross my epic goal for this year; "Get Into the Art School" . Next one is "Get a House" and "Lose 5kg" . Let's see how it'll turn up.

Thank you.

Hi, I'm Rose. I'm a wannabe freelance Illustrator/Character Artist with a Bachelors in Landscape Architecture. I'm a Graphic Design Student and I have bad eating habits.

Roselyn Shade

Half Elf Adventurer [wannabe Bard]

Level : 2

| STR: 4 | DEX: 4 | STA: 4 | CON: 3 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 8 |

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Lee - Starbuck, Battlestar Galactica

Challange | Sketchblog Tumblr | Portfolio

I hope so too! I'm gonna be getting classes from graphics degisn dept and try to get as many as possible from animations. Can't wait till we start hee hee.

Working hard to get myself a house. It's really tough =(

Hi, I'm Rose. I'm a wannabe freelance Illustrator/Character Artist with a Bachelors in Landscape Architecture. I'm a Graphic Design Student and I have bad eating habits.

Roselyn Shade

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Lee - Starbuck, Battlestar Galactica

Very cool. You should definitely do what you love because work one way or another becomes a big part of you life. Otherwise you end up doing something you hate for 40-60 hours a week.

As for moving out just take the plunge. Anytime there is major change in your life there will always be fear. You just can't let it paralyze you. After you get out that for few years you will need understand why you didn't do it sooner or how you could ever go back to living under their roof. We love them bu you will be you unless you are free and spreading your wings.

Silverpeacock: omg, do you have any jewelry designs? Is there anything online i can take a look at? I'm especially a fan of handmade jewelry, would love to see some of your works! And thanks =) I think i do need a bit of luck 8D

Luthorcrow: Yeah, i sometimes wish i stood up earlier but then i think of the chain of events and think this is the best. This year is like a year of change for me, it's like i'm having a test of willpower. Being a Coelho fan, i remember the part where blacksmith tells how he crafts metal in Brida. There's no turning back now 8D Thinking of advantages of living in my own aparment gets me excited!

Roselyn Shade

Wow, what a great story! When you're doing something you love all day, it'll make you tired, but you won't be mentally exhausted and cranky. I just finished a cashiering job where I only had to work 5-6hrs a day, and I'd be so sore and unhappy by the end. Now, I got lucky and have an archaeology job, digging in the field, an 8hr day with like a 1.5hr commute, and I'm tired by the end, but happy and can do something else in the evening.

Take care of yourself, and let everything happen in its perfect time ;)

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

Leimanu: Thank you 8D Yeah, when sketching and drawing all day i'd be smiling on my way home during the year. I hated landscape architecture, i still do, got myself a nice wrist injury and tons of nervous breakdowns and crying crisis' thanks to that. It's all gone now tho. replaced with joy of accomplishment and a bit of fear of unknown.

Milythale: Yey, i'll be surely write down more as i get a house and start living on my own. I especially wanted to write this, because one of my fears while i was changing career was "am i too old for this" and others might have it too and this might inspire people. It's never too late. There were times when i just wanted to give up because it was too hard, but hey, i survived =) So can everyone with enough support.

Roselyn Shade

Archived