Forums are back in action! ×

Healthy Gift Suggestions (to give others, or request for yourself :) )

catspaw

Some folks on the chat the other day were mentioning needing inspiration for things to put on their holiday gift list this year. First off, way to leave it to the last minute! :P Hahaha.

But I thought I'd list some things that I own and completely love to provide some inspiration. (Full disclosure: the links have my amazon id attached so I get a few pennies if you buy any of it.)

Cooking

Food scale ($15): If you're still using volumetric measurements for your food, you're probably counting completely wrong. I use this (simple) food scale and love it.

Cast iron skillet ($17): Make simple delicious chicken breasts, steak, etc.

Coconut oil ($11): I have amazon just auto-ship me a jar of this every 4 months. Nom nom. "A year's worth of coconut oil" (or any other grocery product, for that matter) is kinda a cool gift, I think.

Good knife ($11): A good knife doesn't have to be expensive. I use Komachi knives for almost all of my cutting (veggies, meat, etc.). They're not super-fancy, but if you're still using a pair of old ikea knives, you're going to be astounded how much better these cut through things.

Books

Starting Strength ($30): Learn to lift heavy things properly. :)

Olympic Weightlifting ($34): For when you wanna get a little fancier.

Well Fed ($18): Tons of great paleo recipes I make on a regular basis

Fitness Gear

Pull up bands ($40ish, varies): For those of us still trying to get our first pull up :)

Pull up bar ($25): I use this bar over my doorframe and it's worked great for grease-the-groove style practicing outside the gym.

The stick ($27): An alternative to foam rolling that I used all the time while marathon training. It hurts so good.

What else? What healthy fitness gifts have you received / given / hope to one day get? :D

Let's help those last-minute-shoppers complete their list!

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

Chriskra, Level 1 Night Elf Ranger

STR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 2|CHA 4

"The only easy day was yesterday"

In a somewhat higher price range, a bicycle trainer can be a great gift for a bike owner, to let them get some work on their bike indoors in the winter(beats the heck out of the bikes at the gym!)

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

I got a dumbbell set (bars + plates) for my birthday this year :)

Been using them ever since :) Definitely like that I can scale these without having 50 dumbbells in the house!

Otherwise good ideas, I need to take notes!

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

A good old pedometer is not bad (doesn't have to be a pricey fitbit).

Nice sports watch with interval functions, for those of us who are old-fashioned enough to wear watches. For those who aren't, a Gymboss or similar timer.

Gift certificate to sports store of your choice.

Fancy running socks (good stuff, but at $6/pair no one buys them for herself...)

Fancy water bottle (or plain steel with added decorations to your giftee's taste).

Fancy backpack, for those who like hiking.

Mesh hat for keeping sun off.

Warm fuzzy headband for keeping ears warm during outdoor activities on cold days.

Armband with slot for musical player (eg iPod).

Retractable headphones, or water-resistant earbuds.

A ball. Any ball. The kind that you play with. Preferably large enough to kick and chase around. Any kid under age 9 is guaranteed to play with it for at least a few minutes, because ... it's a ball! How can you not? (Also works with frisbees and boomerangs.)

Juggling set. Not specifically exercise gear, but you'll get a fair amount of exercise tossing things and picking them up when they drop.

Vitamix blender (expensive but worth it, IF you use it).

Food processor... very very useful if you're getting into cooking.

Sharpening stone for those who have knives already.

One of those subscriptions to a monthly steak delivery.

A CSA (fruit/veggie) membership.

Gift certificate to iFruit or Droidnet store, for the purchase of fitness apps. Omg, zombies!!

Gift membership to gym of your choice, or session(s) with personal trainer.]

And of course, let's not forget... Wii Fit, DDR pad and/or video game console of your choice.

As far as cast iron skillets go, that's one thing it may actually be worthwhile to purchase used. But of course, you need to know thy recipient (true cast iron fans already know the value of old pans, but someone who doesn't might look at you funny if you give them a skillet that looks like a garage sale reject). Most people I know who use cast iron already own a good skillet or two, but might enjoy specialized items like mini casserole dishes for coddled eggs, etc.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Archived