Forums are back in action! ×

Don't be scared to start at one

Evicious

I just wanted to throw this out there: don't be scared to start at one. I've heard it from alot of people, ".... I can barely do even one [of those]," as if only being able to do one of something means there's no point in even trying. It IS worth it - I'm proof, Athena's proof, Joe's proof, Spezzy's proof.... nobody starts out at the point they end up, unless they do nothing to change where they're at already.

Can't do more than one pushup? Then do one now. Do one again tomorrow. Do one again in a few hours. But if you can do one, then it's worth doing the one you can do. Because the awesome thing about humans is that we get better at the things we practice doing. No matter how "bad" you think you are at something now, that doesn't dictate how good you would be at it with practice. And just to throw some good ol' fashioned guilt on top of it all, remember that there are people in this world who literally can't do even one. Yes, I'm talking about paralyzation and starving kids in Africa - think about it, there are people in the world who would be over the moon if they could wake up today and do just one of whatever it is you can "only" do.

So don't worry about where you're at right now; don't bother comparing your numbers to anyone else's but your own. Do one right now, and remember that eventually, all the ones that you keep doing are going to add up to bigger numbers in the end. Don't be scared to start at one.

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

+1

on a related note :

don't worry about people judging you because you can only do one. I know that this is a common de-motivator but 90% of the time you are being judged much less harshly than you think you are.

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

Love this. There is so much I couldn't do when I started. But now I can do a real push up, crow stand, and on exceptionally lucky days a pull up.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Awesome! 6 months in I still can't do a push up... however I did manage to do A LOT of other stuff. Did I give up on push ups? NEVER!

I will one day do 1. Never give up, that's the only thing that matters!

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

Great post. It's true, it'd be easy to get down after realising your goals are going to take longer than you thought, but at least you'll be able to say you started. 

I think it goes alongside Dean Karnazes' (ultra-marathoner) explanation of how he motivates himself to exercise: 'I think how much better I'll feel after I've done it'. 

Even if it is just one of something, one is more than none and you'll feel better for having done it. 

http://jackblog.org

Jack Blog | The Blog of Jack

Archived