Forums are back in action! ×

Neck Tension Troubles

Devyn

I have an issue with neck tension and exercises. Mostly any exercise involving my abs (except when my head is down like in planks) or weight training where my arms go above my shoulders. I know that I need to relax my shoulders and I try to do this, but I still end up killing my neck. I have had trainers check my form and they seem to be satisfied, but I really hurt my neck long before the muscles I'm supposed to be working give in. I usually have to stop with crunches way before my abs get tired - and then my neck kills me for almost the rest of the day.

No trainers seem to have any solutions to the problem...does anyone else have this issue? Is it a lack of strength somewhere in my body (my abs?) or is it something I'm just destined to put up with?

Level 17 Half Kender Assassin
XP 1700

I have this trouble, too. I hate doing abs for this reason. The one that works the best for me is the apparatus that you brace your elbows on and dangle your feet. You then kick your feet up or raise your knees. For a challenge, you can add ankle weights. No clue what they're called. I call them Kryptonites because they're the opposite of what I call a superman. >.>

Crunches seriously kill my neck though. I've also taken to cradling my head for exercise ball crunches. I'm very careful to put all of its weight in my hands, but not pull my neck. This gets easier as I strengthen my neck and back, though. 

I am not a doctor. Don't sue me if my very non-medical advice is flawed. 

Level 4 Human Ranger

Str: 8 Dex: 2  Con: 4.5  Int: 9.5 Wis: 8.5 Cha:  2  Sta: 5

Yeah, I have the same problem. My solution is to just not do crunches, since it is debatable on how much good they do anyway for abs. I am trying to strengthen and relax my neck though. Lifting my neck for hollow hold seems to be a better position than in crunches and I think is strengthening my neck. I'm also working on superman holds and hoping it helps. And doing foam rolling, Headstands may help too, I may try those again. Last time Itried them they hurt my neck and head.My husband played football in highschool and they did all sorts of things to strengthen neck muscles, I'm going to see if he remembers some of those excercises -I'll get back to you on that

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Is it like a cramp in your neck? I get these as well. I have had to stop because the pain get too intense. I have found that stretching and rolling my neck tends to help me. 

Eiric the Mighty Fez

Human Adventurer/Cleric

LVL 1 | STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 2

Battle Log | Fitocracy | Challenge 1

IF Calculator

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.†– 2 Corinthians 4:18

I have a similar trouble with my neck.  I have found that I tense my neck while I'm thinking about intense effort in other places.  For me, I have had some luck with paying particular attention to my neck muscles and focusing on relaxing them when they aren't directly involved in the exercise.  I think my limited experience with Alexander Technique has improved my ability to detect and respond to pockets of unrelated tension during movement.

Milythael Assassin

Current Activity: Milythael Acts Like an Assassin

Past Activity: 

Spoiler

Challenges: Intro, 123, 4567, 891011 12
PVPs: Demon Slaying, HOoRAY, Meditation,
 Poses, Juggling 30/30 Squat

Hi,

I was skimming and saw your post. I have neck issues as well. The best help I've had beside moist heat (dry heat doesn't sink in enough to last), are what they call Chin Tucks. Here's a video link. I do the stand up one vs. the laying down one.

http://www.spineuniverse.com/wellness/exercise/neck-pain-prevention-chin-tuck-exercise-video

Also, here are two pages on a site about the Alexander Technique. I won't vouch for him, but it could give you a place to start. http://markjosefsberg.com/back-pain-neck-pain/pain-in-the-neck and this one http://markjosefsberg.com/stress/alexander-technique-allow-your-neck-to-be-free

Of course, there are the usuals that I tend to do midway through a workout and after. 

Hope that helps, Cheers T    :smiley_simmons: 

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Archived