Forums are back in action! ×

Walk to Mordor Google docs spreadsheet problem

Avalonna

I've been walking to Mordor and keeping track on this handy Nerd Fitness-approved spreadsheet. All was going along splendidly and I had just left Rivendell, and the spreadsheet stopped updating. It tallied the total miles to Rivendell and started tallying the next leg of the journey (Rivendell to Lothlorian), but then stopped. I can enter my daily mileage in the cells, but it does not round the number, rank it, or, most important (and the only thing I care about), it does not add the new numbers to the total mileage at the top. I did a few Google searches to try to figure out why it stopped updating the total mileage, but came up empty. Anyone have any ideas??? Help a long-distance traveller out!

Avalonna, level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer RangerCurrent challenge & spreadsheet • First challenge • Second challenge â€¢ Third challenge • Fourth challenge • Twitter • Tumblr Nerd Fitness: "This is the place to be healthy with others who know how to field strip a light saber and read elvish while explaining the dynamics of sub-space as it relates to a warp field." - tanktimusSTR 7 ~ DEX 2 ~ STA 6 ~ CON 8 ~ WIS 4 ~ CHA 3

I've been walking to Mordor and keeping track on this handy Nerd Fitness-approved spreadsheet. All was going along splendidly and I had just left Rivendell, and the spreadsheet stopped updating. It tallied the total miles to Rivendell and started tallying the next leg of the journey (Rivendell to Lothlorian), but then stopped. I can enter my daily mileage in the cells, but it does not round the number, rank it, or, most important (and the only thing I care about), it does not add the new numbers to the total mileage at the top. I did a few Google searches to try to figure out why it stopped updating the total mileage, but came up empty. Anyone have any ideas??? Help a long-distance traveller out!

Cell D16 currently reads:

=round(sum(D18:D121),1)

Change that to:

=round(sum(D18:D200),1)

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

I didn't add rows, I just kept going. Your answer seeded like it made sense and work work perfectly, but it didn't. I tried refreshing, closing and re-opening, and adding additional numbers in the next cell - nothing.   :( 

Avalonna, level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer RangerCurrent challenge & spreadsheet • First challenge • Second challenge â€¢ Third challenge • Fourth challenge • Twitter • Tumblr Nerd Fitness: "This is the place to be healthy with others who know how to field strip a light saber and read elvish while explaining the dynamics of sub-space as it relates to a warp field." - tanktimusSTR 7 ~ DEX 2 ~ STA 6 ~ CON 8 ~ WIS 4 ~ CHA 3

I see your problem.

In D121 is a formula, this needs to continue downward, same as the E121 formula.

I don't know how savvy you are with spreadsheets, but if you select D121 you should see your cursor change to + in the lower right corner and then you click and pull down. When you let go the numbers should appear.

Let me know if it works or not!!

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

I also see the #N/A issue.
The formula states =if(C118<>"",RANK(D118,$D$18:$D$116),"")
For the WHOLE E column the $D$18:$D$116 part should change into $D$18:$D$220 (for example, bigger is better.)

Simply put you're just adding more rows than the spreadsheet takes into account in formulas.

Spoiler

Thank you, Kibcy - unfortunately this is the first spreadsheet I have ever used and I was not able to follow your instructions. :(

1. I selected the D121 cell, but my cursor didn't change into a + symbol.

2. I couldn't change the whole E column; I changed the one cell that had the N/A, and that is now fixed, but I don't see where to change the whole E column. I tried to change some of the last rows (118-121), but it didn't make a difference, except...

My "distance walked" did change from 19.6 to 28 miles, but I don't know what made that change. That distance hasn't budged for a while, though, so I'm encouraged!

Never mind! I figured out where the + sign was - I was looking in the lower right corner of the spreadsheet, not the cell. You fixed it - I love you! Nerds rule!

marylin.gif

No problem!!!

You can't fix the whole E column all at once. What you should do is change the first cell and then drag it down like you did the D column. That should work :)

I'm just glad you were able to get it fixed!!!

To explain, the D16 cell is a sum of the D column, so what you fill in in the C column doesn't exactly matter.

It would probably be a lot simpler in terms of maintenance and avoiding further problems if you would change how the sheet works.

I've changed mine to Excel and changed the mechanics. Feel free to download it here and have a look: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x50z6pz66wdfex1/Walking%20to%20Mordor%20and%20Back.xlsx?m

This one does a SUM of the whole B column, so no matter how far down my rows would go, it would keep adding the distance :)

Spoiler

You're awesome. I hope I didn't lose too much nerd cred by not having a clue how a spreadsheet works.

Nah don't worry about it! I'm just glad I was able to help :D

Often showing is easier than having to type out what I mean haha.

Spoiler

Archived