Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

No offense, I don't mean to be racist, or sexist, or ignorant, but the sky is kind of brilliant blue today. Let's go picnic.

• Like 5

I've been lucky so far in that I haven't really gotten any comments during my weight loss journey. I started when I was in college and was hanging out with people who were fairly health conscious and one woman had lost over 100lbs. and was still losing more (she'd started at about 300lbs.) Anyway, it wasn't until a month or two ago, I was at church, and my pastor had noticed a few weeks prior how much weight I'd lost, and he kind of make it a point to complement me whenever he saw me, just very innocent "You look so great, I'm proud of you" kind of stuff, which I appreciated. But then one time I mentioned that I still had another 30-40 pounds to lose and he was like "Oh no, don't do that, you'll be too skinny!" 

I was kind of surprised how much it pissed me off to be told something like that. He doesn't know what it feels like to live in my body, to constantly be aware of how my gut rolls over the top of my jeans, even still after losing 65 pounds, or to have jeans wear through in the inner thigh in a year because my thighs rub together so much. He doesn't know what a healthy weight is for my body type. I'm still over 200 pounds, I don't care who you are, that's more than a woman should weigh unless she's really tall, or really muscular. I'm only kind of tall and kind of muscular. I know I carry my weight well. I know I don't look like I weigh as much as I do, but it's not for other people to determine at what weight I'll look best. That's my decision based on how and when I feel comfortable with my body. And no, I don't have a distorted body image. I'm very realistic with what I feel is a healthy weight. losing 40 pounds from where I am now will not even put me into the healthy range of BMI, I'd be just a few pounds heavy, but I'm built like an amazon and want to be strong when it's all said and done, so I don't really give a fuck about BMI.

• Like 2

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald

I've been lucky so far in that I haven't really gotten any comments during my weight loss journey. I started when I was in college and was hanging out with people who were fairly health conscious and one woman had lost over 100lbs. and was still losing more (she'd started at about 300lbs.) Anyway, it wasn't until a month or two ago, I was at church, and my pastor had noticed a few weeks prior how much weight I'd lost, and he kind of make it a point to complement me whenever he saw me, just very innocent "You look so great, I'm proud of you" kind of stuff, which I appreciated. But then one time I mentioned that I still had another 30-40 pounds to lose and he was like "Oh no, don't do that, you'll be too skinny!" 

I was kind of surprised how much it pissed me off to be told something like that. He doesn't know what it feels like to live in my body, to constantly be aware of how my gut rolls over the top of my jeans, even still after losing 65 pounds, or to have jeans wear through in the inner thigh in a year because my thighs rub together so much. He doesn't know what a healthy weight is for my body type. I'm still over 200 pounds, I don't care who you are, that's more than a woman should weigh unless she's really tall, or really muscular. I'm only kind of tall and kind of muscular. I know I carry my weight well. I know I don't look like I weigh as much as I do, but it's not for other people to determine at what weight I'll look best. That's my decision based on how and when I feel comfortable with my body. And no, I don't have a distorted body image. I'm very realistic with what I feel is a healthy weight. losing 40 pounds from where I am now will not even put me into the healthy range of BMI, I'd be just a few pounds heavy, but I'm built like an amazon and want to be strong when it's all said and done, so I don't really give a fuck about BMI.

I know he meant well, but it is sooo frustrating when someone tells you that :( I think a lot of times this comes up because people know now that problems like anorexia or bulimia are prevalent in our 'beauty'-centered society, and sometimes it gets broadstroked and they apply the thought to those of us who are just trying to get healthy.

I know I get similar comments when I tell people how much I want to lose - in fairness, I know my bodytype (stocky and dense muscle/bone) hides a lot of it; but I also know that my end goal is a weight that most people would say is too high for my height if they don't take my build into account.

Current Challenge: Developing Roots

I always figured they just said stuff like "Don't do that, you'll lose TOO MUCH weight!", so that when you inevitably failed (as they predicted), you wouldn't feel so bad.  Kinda like telling the kid on the way to the big game "Remember, there's no shame in losing."

That's true.  But that's not why I'm trying to win.

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

I know he meant well, but it is sooo frustrating when someone tells you that :( I think a lot of times this comes up because people know now that problems like anorexia or bulimia are prevalent in our 'beauty'-centered society, and sometimes it gets broadstroked and they apply the thought to those of us who are just trying to get healthy.

I know I get similar comments when I tell people how much I want to lose - in fairness, I know my bodytype (stocky and dense muscle/bone) hides a lot of it; but I also know that my end goal is a weight that most people would say is too high for my height if they don't take my build into account.

Ok.  I have an ongoing task to prevent the poor choice of adjectives.  Anorexia and bulimia are not "Prevelant".  They exist, but overall are not prevailing, or are even that common among the general populace.

/me kicks soapbox away

• Like 2

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I told a supervisor at my old job I was looking at getting a gym membership, he said something like ya, you could stand to loose maybe 20 pounds.  I looked at him with a WTF look and said try closer to 80.  He was amazed that I was closer to 300 than 250.  When I told my parents I wanted to get back down to 200 or so they said it was way to small and at the most I can do is 220-230, anything less than that would not be good.

Briguy, level 2 STR 1|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2[/TD][/TR][/TABLE] "Learn the principle, abide by the principle, and dissolve the principle. In short, enter a mold without being caged in it. Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!" Bruce Lee "To Live by a principal is to live, do die with no principal you have not lived."

Battle Log   My Fitness Pal

i once had one of my moms friends tell me i've put on weight and that it looks good on me. i was about 40lbs overweight, it didn't look good on me and that's not the type of thing i wanted to hear when i'd been trying to lose weight. after losing half that weight i had people telling me how skinny i looked. their astonishment made me feel good.

Level 2 Wood Elf, Adventuring for Ranger status

STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 1.75 | CON 1.75 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

71.6%
71.6%

> 65kg

0%
0%

100 days crisp free

Wow. Did not realize how big this topic is.

Some things I got really sick of hearing:

"You play rugby?" (Looking at my 5'8", generally slender form.) (Why yes, yes I do. Would you like me to show you how well I can tackle you?)

"Why do you need to work out? You look great!" That's sweet, really, but I actually enjoy exercising. There's something very fulfilling about it.

"You don't need to lose weight!" Thanks, I know you mean well, but you're not the one who sees my stomach flub hanging over my jeans. You're not the one who feels self-conscious every time they look in the mirror. Please stop.

My mother gives me no end of grief with her comments. Here's a sampling:

Mom: "You don't need to lift weights! Just go for a run! It's better than lifting!" 

Me: "No, mom. No. I hate running. Why would I do something I don't enjoy?"

Mom: "But lifting makes you all bulky and man-ish! You're trying to lose weight, running is what does that best. Because I read an article that says so."

Me: *exasperated sigh, pulls out computer and shows her the NerdFitness Article with Staci* "This woman can deadlift something that weighs more than (my boyfriend). Would you say she looks man-ish?"

Mom: "Uh... no. But knowing you, you're somehow going to gain weight, like you did in your last semester at school."

Me: "The only reason why I gained that much weight even when lifting is because I ate like crap, I spent most of my time not sleeping, and extremely stressed out. Not good conditions for the weight losing." 

Mom: "Whatever you say, Nicolette." (condescending voice)

And:

"Nicolette, you need to lose weight."

"Nicolette, it's okay if you eat grains! Just eat whole wheat and whole grain. You need grains to survive!"

"But I don't like most grains, and it's been proven that grains are largely responsible for unhealthy weight gain."

I love my mom, really, but the way she harps on about some things drives me insane!

On a non-fitness note:

"Oh, you're still dating [boyfriend]?"

"Um... yes. Why wouldn't I be?" Is the fact that I'm in a relationship for 2+ years such a surprise? 

"Are you planning on settling down with him?"

"I'd really rather focus on school than 'settling down'."

"You'll get married one day, have kids."

"I actually don't want children, and the life I'm planning on leading would make life very difficult for said imaginary children."

"What do you mean you don't want children?!"

"Listen, buddy. I have to hear screaming children anywhere from 5-8 hours a day, five days a week. I don't like them. Don't think I ever will. And I'm sure as heck not going to bring children into the world when I don't want them, because that's not fair to them or me."

"But don't you want someone to take care of you when you're older?"

"That is perhaps the most selfish reason to have children. I'm done with you. Go away."

Wow... this got long. Sorry. >.<

• Like 4

Level 4, Amazon Ranger

Current Challenge:  NicBot-5000 enters Recovery Mode

Previous Challenges: 12, 3,  4, 5, 6

PRE REBOOT CHALLENGES: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Various links and sundry: Battle log, Respawn post

The running thing annoys me too.  My brother (also parents and friends I've discussed fitness with fall in this category) constantly harps that I should go running more if I want to lose weight, that's what he does when he's trying to drop a few pounds. 

Why would I run when I find it boring?  I'd much rather strength train, or do a cardio kickboxing tape, or bike, or swim.  If you like to run, great, but don't keep insisting that I do an exercise I dislike.  Exercising is hard enough as it is.

• Like 2

Life is, without a doubt, strange.

13 - All I had on my mind was some day having a girl friend, screw kids.
24 - Screw the female populace; they just like bad boys. I have MMORPGs. F' this world... and kids.
25 - Holy crap! I can attract the opposite gender!
26 - Holy crap! I can attract and marry the opposite gender!
26.5 - Holy crap! I can reproduce with the opposite gender!
28 - Second kid..
30 - Third kid...
31 - These kids thing... kind of grow on yeah. :) Wait... F' other peoples kids. *cackles*

I know, I basically just griped on the not wanting kid idea you were stating; but my wife was the same way, we didn't want kids... and well, strange things yo. Don't get to angry at people that are surprised you don't want kids; because they've forgotten what it was like before kids, and can't comprehend 'not' having kids.  It's a weird statement, but I bet most folks, with kids, would agree with it in some shape at least. That is my 2 cents.

• Like 1

-Purple_Panda

Life is, without a doubt, strange.

13 - All I had on my mind was some day having a girl friend, screw kids.

24 - Screw the female populace; they just like bad boys. I have MMORPGs. F' this world... and kids.

26 - Holy crap! I can attract and marry the opposite gender!

26.5 - Holy crap! I can reproduce with the opposite gender!

28 - Second kid..

30 - Third kid...

31 - These kids thing... kind of grow on yeah.  :) Wait... F' other peoples kids. *cackles*

I know, I basically just griped on the not wanting kid idea you were stating; but my wife was the same way, we didn't want kids... and well, strange things yo. Don't get to angry at people that are surprised you don't want kids; because they've forgotten what it was like before kids, and can't comprehend 'not' having kids.  It's a weird statement, but I bet most folks, with kids, would agree with it in some shape at least. That is my 2 cents.

Still at 'Holy Crap! I can attract opposite gender!' phase. Kind of surprised me like that too.

"You'll get married one day, have kids." / "What do you mean you don't want children?!"

i dont want to have kids. nor am i actually capable of having kids. i hate this topic of conversation, because they start listing off all the possible ways to get kids (adoption, foster, surrogacy). fun times.

26 - Holy crap! I can attract and marry the opposite gender!

and then it happens with same gender, and... oh wait :|

• Like 3

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

We didn't want kids. Now we've got three of the damn things, and can't seem to get rid of them. They go away eventually, right?

not really.  though the best ones turn into special friends.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

"Tsk. The muscles on your shoulders have gotten bigger. That's ugly!"

- Mom

Usually after I begin to almost maybe kind of possibly feel good about myself. #FML

I would disagree with your mother on that one.  

• Like 2

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

i dont want to have kids. nor am i actually capable of having kids. i hate this topic of conversation, because they start listing off all the possible ways to get kids (adoption, foster, surrogacy).

Hubs and can't have kids, have made peace with it, and do not intend to adopt. The worst are the people who insist on having this conversation with my *mother* about how she should talk us into one of these options because, doesn't she want grandchildren!?!

• Like 2