Forums are back in action! ×

So I see you're encouraged to post a little intro about yourself. Well here's mine. 

I'm 38 years old, married father of 3.  I sit behind a computer all day building out websites and doing internet marketing for myself and running a small company. While I love my job it is not physical activity what so ever.  I am flexible with my work schedule since I'm the boss, so that helps.  

I found NerdFitness probably 4 months ago now and started reading Steve's blog posts.  I found the site after a fellow forum member on a different work forum I'm on posted the link to it in a working out thread that was going there.  I remember almost not clicking on the link but scrolling back past and saying lets just check it out, this guy who linked it usually links to some interesting stuff.  I'm glad I did.  

I decided that what I was doing needed to get mixed up.  I had always been somewhat overweight.  I had been joining my wife in the 'BodyPump' class at the gym she went to for about 2 months.  Bodypump is like a combo between light weight workouts with cardio mixed in.  Lots of reps, low weight. I started reading NF and about 3.5 months ago told the wife I was going to stop going to the class and start lifting weights in the gym.  I have stuck to a simple 5x5 routine of deadlifts, squats, overhand and underhand inverted bodyweight rows using the the smith machine (only thing I use it for now!) - then I either do a bench press, incline press or standing overhead presses (mostly standing overhead presses).  

I most importantly believe the 80/20 rule that diet is at least 80% of the battle.  I'm eating way less processed food, way less breads and pastas.  I have totally cut out liquid calories other than coffee in the AM it's clean water all day and night.  I will drink a homemade smoothie and things like that but just my sitting around drinking beverage is water and lots of it.  Someone told me we need half our body weight in oz of water per day at minimum to maintain a healthy digestive system.  I got rid of the "healthy" snacks i used to eat (pretzels) and now I snack on walnuts, almonds, pecans, cashews, sunflower seeds veggies and fruit.  

Anyway, it's working.  I'm not really weighing anymore but I must be losing weight because I've had three people ask me if I have in the past few days, which always feels nice.  

I look forward to joining the community and fighting for the rebellion!

It always feels really great to have someone else notice your hard work. For me one of the hardest things to deal with was putting all of this effort and willpower into taking care of myself, but being the only person who noticed. Definitely a confidence booster when people ask. Congrats on your hard work!

Level 2 Dwarven Noob, Bluff Conqueror

STR: 3 DEX: 0 STA: 4 CON: 4 WIS: 0 CHA: 2

Challenge thread! | Battle log!

Glad you found Nerd Fitness! I found it when I was looking for good weight loss websites.

I wouldn't use a scale, go by your pant and shirt size that's the best way to tell if your on the right track! Are you going to join the next challenge?

Thanks guys!  Yes it is nice to hear other people ask you if you've lost weight. Makes you feel like it's working and you are doing something right.  

I'll let you know on the next challenge as soon as I get back from a little vacay w/ the fam.  Most likely I will, I would love the extra motivation and accountability.  I'm really really glad I clicked that link and found NF!