Forums are back in action! ×

First Chin Up!

I never though I'd be able to do one. Seriously. The first time I grabbed onto the bar, I pulled and pulled.. and I didn't budge an inch. Frustrating? You bet. 

It slowly started to become easier. I could bunch my shoulders, then get to a 90 degree angle.

But mid-June I hit the wall and I couldn't get my chin over the bar. I then used bands to assist me and I was able to do a chin up from a standing position. 

This week I started to bend my knees more until - Finally! I was able to do my first hanging chin up (without kicking or struggling) 

I started on May 12th and I reached my goal today, July 25th!!

I know it's not that as impressive as the feats posted on this forum, but it's a milestone for me  :redface:

2 months and 13 days was really worth it in the end. Now I want to try to do 5-10 consecutive chin-ups and eventually move onto pull-ups. 

Any tips/advice with the consecutive part? How do you build endurance to pull up a second time? 

Hydra Ranger // Level 1

STR: 5 | DEX: 3 | STA: 2 | CON: 1 | WIS: 1 | CHA: 3

"If you're tired of starting over, stop giving up." 

Way to go! I've been working on my chin-ups with an assisted pullup machine for a while now, so I finally bit the bullet and bought some bands (I'm so close, but can't get below 40lbs on the machine). My goal is the be able to do at least one by the end of the next challenge - thank you for showing me it's totally possible!

Congratulations! Hopefully this is your first chin up of many :)

In regards to training for consecutive chin ups part, there are a multitude of ways to try. Here are some examples of the ways you can gradually increase difficulty to allow progress in your initial stages:

(1) Negatives

Do 1 chin up as per normal. Then for the next one, jump up to the top of the motion and do a nice controlled negative. Time yourself in doing the negative. The next time you train attempt to increase the time you spent in the negative descent. Keep doing this every time you train even including lock offs at whichever points you feel like. By the time you reach a really controlled 10-20s negative - go for the 2 consecutive chin up!

(2) Decreasing rest between sets

Do 1 chin up. Rest for ?5 mins (or however long you need to recover). Do another chin up. The next time you train attempt to decrease your rest period. When you reach the very low rest periods start decreasing by 1 second at a time if necessary.

(3) Increasing total reps per training session/day.

Each day (or every 2nd day if that is how many times you are training chins) attempt to increase the amount of chins you do in the day. It doesn't matter how spread apart the rest periods are, or if you have to do it when you get up, or before you go to bed. Just make sure you do x+1 where x was the last training day you did. Eventually when you are finding 1 rep really easy, then go for 2!

(4) Add some weight

Just a tiny bit. Find a backpack. Put your backpack on (empty). Do a chin up with an empty back pack. The next training session add a bottle with 250mL of water in into your backpack. Do a chin up. Congrats - you just did a +.25kg weighted chin up (more if you want to weigh your bag). Keep adding 250mL of water until your container is full, then add another container. By the time you get up to +4kg (2 x 2L water bottles or something like that) - why don't you take off your backpack and hell strip down to your shorts if you want - and try for 2 consecutive non weighted chin ups.

(5) Pump yourself up

Whenever you do eventually try for your 2 consecutive chins: Predownload eye of the tiger or the rocky theme or whatever you find pumps you up. Play it just before you attempt the 2 chins :)

If you pick a good song, you might just get a surge of adrenaline, or activate your sympathetic nervous system, or just be in the right frame of mind to allow you to progress (assuming you have a mental barrier rather than a physical one).

(6) A combination of any or all of the above.

So essentially you just want to create progress in some form every training session by changing some variable in an incremental and minute fashion. Pick and modify the variable or variables which appeal the most to you and that you will enjoy (so you are more likely to stick with it). Ditch the one(s) which you think you won't enjoy (since you will begin to hate your training).

Good luck!

Thank you guys! 

Also, thanks for the advice- hopefully this will help me build up to consecutive chin ups. 

Hydra Ranger // Level 1

STR: 5 | DEX: 3 | STA: 2 | CON: 1 | WIS: 1 | CHA: 3

"If you're tired of starting over, stop giving up." 

Congrats

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

I know it's not that as impressive as the feats posted on this forum, but it's a milestone for me  :redface:

No way this is a huge milestone and a fantastic achievement. It's a good indicator of overall strength, well done :positive:

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

No way this is a huge milestone and a fantastic achievement. It's a good indicator of overall strength, well done :positive:

Agreed, This is a huge milestone to complete, it is proof you are getting stronger!.

as for advice Yuen hit the nail on the head. i went from 3 pull-ups to 6 pull ups in only 3 weeks doing a mix of those points my favorite point is point 2. but also point 3 is good. i would do some in the morning before work. then when i get home while watching tv during each ad ill go pump out a few more.

keep up the good work.

Level 1 Human Ranger

STR: 3 -  DES: 3 - STAM: 3 - CON: 2 - WIS: 2 - CHA: 2

Current Goals - http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/32864-tks-goals/

Quote: "Any one else have the heebie-jeebies , No, Good, So shut up"