Forums are back in action! ×

Finding my inner Catwoman.

Hello there, friends.  My name is Siobhan.  I'm a 19 year old college girl, and for most of my life I've been a couch potato.  My stepfather refers to me as a "housecat."  I'm also a major foodie.  You can probably see how this might be bad for my overall health and physique.  Lately, I haven't been quite satisfied with myself.  After my freshman year of college, my weight skyrocketed 30 or 40 pounds.  I'm a bit of an emotional eater, but my mentality has gotten better as of late.  I mindlessly eat when I'm bored sometimes, because it's something to do. But I'm done with that whole thing!  I wanna feel and look my best, so I can take on the world and do great things and whatnot.  I'm gonna find my way from housecat to Catwoman.

I've already kind of started eating healthier with my mom, but with the way she does it, the dieting isn't all that healthy, as she cuts out all these necessary carbs and fats in order to lose weight rapidly, and then after she reaches her goal weight, she starts eating crap food again.  I don't see the point in doing that.  I want to make a permanent lifestyle change before it's too late for me.

At the moment, I'm counting calories, and working on portion control.  Counting calories is kinda tedious for me though, and takes the enjoyment out of food.  I've been looking over this site, and came across the Paleo diet.  I think that it'd be a good idea to work my way into that lifestyle.  I want to exercise more, too!  Once I get to back to school in one week, I'll have access to a full gym, but pretty unhealthy campus food.  However, there is a Walmart and a Tops a short car ride away.

I want to make my life better!  I'm sick and tired of running up a flight of stairs and being winded after ten stairs.  I know I can find the determined, awesome hero inside.  I need to put my mind to it.

I totally get the whole emotional eating thing. As soon as my exams come around I can guarantee that I'm putting on a stone in like three weeks. 

But you've made the decision to do something, so yay! Do you use My Fitness Pal? I do as a calorie counter and I find it a lot easier than anything else, but that's just me :)

Good luck!! I know you'll be one fierce Cat Woman :)

Level 8 Half Elf Ranger

STR:19 ~ DEX:6 ~ CON:21 ~ WIS:20 ~ STA:12 ~ CHA:9

Current Challenge - Previous Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies within 10 feet of the pack."

Welcome Shibz! I love your path - housecat to Cat Woman! I, too, am a mindless eater AND a foodie, which is not the best combo. I'm looking forward to cultivating both awareness and an appreciation of excellent healthy food - because who says you can't be a connoisseur of excellent, healthy food? Best of luck to you.

Level 2 Human Druid

3.375 STR / 1.375 DEX / 0 STA / 2 CON / 3.75 WIS / 1 CHA

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was within me an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly." - R. Buckminster Fuller

Introduction - Daily Battle Log - Challenges 1 - Current

Thank you both for your kind words!

Missrebecca, yes, I do use the MyFitnessPal app, and it is pretty helpful to help track what I eat.  And then, I lose motivation and end up falling into the same old routine. :P  This time feels different, though!

Deepdarkgreen, I agree!  I too am looking for more healthy options.  I'm gonna need to work out a way to find healthier choices on campus instead of just going with what's easy, like nasty fried foods.  

I wish the best of luck to the both of you!

Welcome to the community shibz! Eating healthy while away at college can be tough, but I have faith that you'll figure it out! Do you live on campus in a dorm or commute to school? If you're doing dorm living, you should consider investing in a portable cooking range so that you can readily prepare your own healthy meals instead of purchasing campus food. Just a thought.

One last bit of advice - start thinking of yourself as Catwoman. Do it right now. Make your choices around that perception. What you believe you create. Eat and exercise for the person you want to be, not the person you've become. The next time you go to eat some unhealthy food or are feeling like lounging about and taking a cat nap instead of kicking butt, say to yourself: Would the badass mofo I am eat this? Would I really lay down on the couch instead of whipping tail? I think not. ;) Good luck!

♦ Paleo Warrior Princess â™¦

Lvl 0 Dwarven Adventurer

( Aspiring Mini-Amazon Assassin )

STR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0

Every day I'm Challengin': #1

“I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.â€
- Michelangelo Buonarroti

PaleoWarriorPrincess, I like the way you think! I'm definitely gonna start thinking like that as well. I've managed to continue along my diet with the strength of Catwoman.  Now, I just need to add in the exercise portion of my new lifestyle.  

In regards to the portable cooking range, all that they really allow in the dorms at my school is a microwave.  No hotplates or portable grills, unless it has an automatic shutoff feature.  I mean, there is a small kitchenette in the dorm, so that's always an option.  I'm compiling a list of healthy foods to buy once I get to school.  It'll be nice, because my friends and I are all looking to lose weight, and I'll have a support system away from the internet.  

Welcome to Nerd Fitness Shibz! You'll find all the resources you need to help you on here I guarantee it! If not, I'm positive someone will be able to point you in the right direction! Half the battle is motivation, but this community is pretty damn awesome at helping with that!

Good luck!

Level Ork Adventurer

STR. 0 | DEX. 0 | STA. 0 | CON. 0 | WIS. 0 | CHA. 0

Challenges: #1 (FTC)

Daily Battle Log

Ask yourself, if what you're doing today is getting you closer to where you want to be tomorrow.

Awesome, shibz! I love your determination, and it's great to hear you'll have support from friends to help you along the way. That can be incredibly helpful. And if you need a little extra nudge, you always have the Rebellion.  :pride:

♦ Paleo Warrior Princess â™¦

Lvl 0 Dwarven Adventurer

( Aspiring Mini-Amazon Assassin )

STR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0

Every day I'm Challengin': #1

“I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.â€
- Michelangelo Buonarroti