Forums are back in action! ×

What six months of progress looks like (pics)

When I started lifting and eating better earlier this year my main goal was just to be stronger and healthier. I knew my body would change but it wasn't the big focus. Still it's been really nice to see what a difference six months has made. Not calorie-counting, buying low-fat or cutting out food groups... just a lot of fruit and veggies, lean protein and deadlifts.

Apologies all for bralessness and underboob, I never thought I'd be sharing these pics with the world! Avert your eyes if you're a sensitive soul. 

May:

post-14795-0-78638200-1385287420_thumb.j

post-14795-0-69597600-1385287902_thumb.j

November:

post-14795-0-79032900-1385287637_thumb.j

post-14795-0-64148200-1385288076_thumb.j

:)

• Like 4

Huntress

Current challenge - Rebels - Huntress lays the foundations

"The effort yields its own rewards"  - Data, Star Trek: TNG.

Nice progress! Looks like our bodies are quite similar with the narrow waist and big hips (though I'm presently closer to your before) :)

Haha nice! Someone once described my shape as 'an hourglass with most of the sand in the bottom' and I think that's pretty accurate... I seem to be popular with the kinds of dudes who are comrades of Sir Mixalot, if you catch my drift ;)

yay you! loving the deadlifts! and may i be the first to say dayuuuuuum!!!! you done good girl!

dauuuyyyym was totally my first thought.

Excellent job!!! Keep up the hard work!

Aw shucks. Now I'm blushing. You lot sure know how to make a girl smile.

Whoop! That's some excellent progress you've got going on!

Tips and tricks? =)

I guess it depends on your starting point. That was a switch from eating pasta and delivery pizza and no exercise to fruit and veggies and lean meat and working out three times a week. My main tip would be to come up with healthy foods you love and then just eat a tonne of them and to find forms of exercise you enjoy and focus on getting good at it. I feel like the specifics aren't as important as finding something that a person is going to be able to do consistently over the long term because it's what they really want to be doing. And also being willing to trade short term quick fixes for long term change that lasts. I hope that's not too basic! :)

• Like 3

Huntress

You have don a fantastic job. I can really see the importance of progress pics from your post. Thankyou for the inspiration.

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Good job! Well done on being consistant for 6 months like that - I'm sure seeing those pictures and feeling so much better on the inside makes the effort to change your habits worth it :)

On a different note, you have a beautiful figure! even on your before pics you had a nice hourglass shape - even if there was more sand at the bottom ;) what wonderful genes...

You must be so excited to see what the progress will be in another 6 months... I know I am!x

Damn! ;)

I started going harder in May results are great, but not nearly as noticeable as yours! :o

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

Been lacking inspiration/motivation this past week. Think I found it in this thread.

Dude, that seriously made my day. Thanks.

Do you have your weekly routine posted anywhere? I'm so inspired by your progress and would love to know the exercises you do. =)

I can talk about exercise until the cows come home :P but I'm not so strict about routines. At the beginning of this period I decided I was gonna go for consistency over perfectionism and just focus on doing at least 3 hours of strength training per week. 1 of these hours is 5 x 5 stuff with barbells and the other two a mix of bodyweight, kettlebells, dumbells. There's no reason for that other than me only having access to a squat rack once a week, otherwise I'd be doing heavier lifting every day, not to look a certain way but just because I love it.

I don't have a specific program per se but when I'm not doing the heavy stuff I focus on five exercises covering the whole body: upper body, lower body, back, abs, and then something purely of my choice, often something dynamic like a kettlebell swing. For these days I typically do 3 x 10 of each exercise. Compound movements, isolation exercises like curls and lateral raises bore the pants off me and I feel like they don't transfer into real life. I quite like this dumbbell split routine too - http://www.stumptuous.com/workout-6

I also like kettlebell circuits for the same reason, dynamism. I think the last strength workout I did was a kettlebell circuit of 20 x swings, 10 x clean and press, 10 x single legged deadlifts, 10 x bent over rows, 10 x turkish get ups. I went through it I think four times. Lots of fun, painful painful fun.

In addition I go for a walk with my boyfriend up a big hill/small mountain once or twice a week. 

Is this helpful to you?? I feel like you've just got me excited about strength training so I'm babbling :P I really think the main thing is to find something you enjoy and be consistent about doing it over the longer term.

• Like 1

Huntress

I totally love strength training. I'm working more and more into my own weekly routine, but yeah, I don't want it to become too static. By finding out from others what they like to do, I learn new things to incorporate into my own workouts. I'm going to be starting benchpress and overhead press tomorrow, actually, using the Olympic bar.

We have kettlebells at my gym, but I haven't tried using them yet except for a few things here and there. I'd love to start using them, I think, for range of motion exercises.

Totally helpful, thanks! I hope to catch up to you! I started back in full swing in October and have lost a few inches here and there, so who knows. =)

• Like 1

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone! Get Ready!

Orange Lounge Radio

"Where Every Gamer Has a Voice!"

- Live Sunday at 6 PM Pacific -

VoGnetwork.com

It's so cool to see such tangible success! Congratulations! It does look like you have lovely curves regardless, and your love for strength training has accentuated them. I'm totally inspired, especially since it sounds like you've found really fun ways to pack awesome workouts into each week.

Aisha
Half-Giant Warrior, Level 5

STR: 7 || DEX: 6 || STA: 8 || CON: 7.5 || WIS: 12.5 || CHA: 5

Challenges: 5 4 3 2 1

If you have come here to help me, you are wasting your time.

But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine,

then let us work together. -Lilla Watson

Its amazing to see these kind of transformations!

Congrats and keep it up, you're looking great.

Lvl 3 Half-Orc Warrior Assasin

Male, Age: 30

STR 4 - DEX 2 - STA 5- CON 2 - WIS 4  - CHA 3

Intro Post --- Current Challenge

"Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try" Jedi Master Yoda

"Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out"