Forums are back in action! ×

Hi...kind of nervous......

Hi everyone. I'm Kat and I'm a 30 year old girl from Southern California. Not sure where I should start, so yeah....here goes.

I'm tall (6') and thin (around 135-140 lbs). I'm in decent shape, but after a few years of bad stress and not eating a whole lot I started eating again (as in 2 or 3 meals a day plus snacks), so I put on some weight. Nothing drastic, but I have noticed that I'm starting to get a bit of belly fat going on. I'm hoping to get rid of that, so I don't put on my jeans and think "Oh boy, muffin top." I'd be nice to get somewhat fit right now, but one step at a time. My job requires me to be on my feet and going up and down stairs and carrying stuff, but I get tired and wear out easily.

I'm working on drinking more water and cutting back on soda and sugary snacks. Yes, I have checked out the Paleo diet, but I'm not sure if it's really for me. I'm a bit of a "particular" eater (aka picky) so it's hard finding stuff I actually like and is also somewhat healthy (maybe I'll write a bit more in another forum area). Working out is hard, because I have a bad knee, so it hurts a lot when I bend it too much or work it too much. I also have tendonitis in my right hand and wrist, so I need to work on strengthening that up.

Um....yeah. Not sure what else to say or what else you want to know. It's nice to meet everyone.

• Like 1

Weight loss 155 lbs-140 lbs

1%
1%

The best thing to do is start cutting down, then eliminate, processed foods. Most of the people I've talked to who have tried it noticed a huge difference in how they feel! But make sure you eat lots of good, "real" food, too, or you'll find yourself feeling pretty lethargic.

Welcome to the coolest fitness board on earth!

Race: Half Elf/Human. Class: Wildling Ranger. Level: 3 STR: 6 DEX: 2 STA: 7 CON: 5 WIS: 3 CHA: 0 

First Campaign Second Campaign

Daily Campaign Battle Log

MY FITNESS PAL LOG

Welcome Crosscord!

Hey, if the paleo diet is not for you, it's not for you. I am also a picky eater, especially when it comes to vegetables. Then I realised that it was the texture that bothered me, not the taste, so I started to puree everything. Soups are your friends! Good luck and keep us posted!

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

nice to meet ya!!

I never thought paleo would be for me either... but it just seemed to mesh... but it's ok cuz there are no paleo police here and we won't hate ya if you aren't paleo

as for working out... when I first started I couldn't ride my bike 1/4 mile without stopping... now I don't even COUNT it as a bike ride unless it's >10 miles... and we routinely go on trips where we do >100 miles in a couple days :)

start small and build on it... you can do whatever you put your mind to!

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Hey Kat.  You're already doing a great job.  Just being conscious of your need to change and then implementing the small changes that you can are actually the hardest part.

As for your knee and hand/wrist... be careful.  Being fit isn't about getting ripped or having a 12% body fat ratio.  It's about feeling better and being more capable.  It doesn't feel good to hurt or cripple yourself.  We're always here for advice or to be a sounding board for your fitness worries, so fire away!

Also, on a personal note, take a look at some bodyweight training.  It's easier on your joints and can be manipulated in any way, which would help with your knee/hand/wrist.

Nice to meet you, and welcome to Nerd Fitness!

• Like 1

-This message is endorsed by the Committee to Re-Elect Godzilla. He kicked ass in Japan and he'll do the same here!

Thanks everyone! I only mention the Paleo Diet because it's mentioned a lot on the website and people seems to keep talking about it here, so I figured I'd preemptively give a "this thing isn't for me, so you really don't have to suggest it" mention. I like my bread and sandwiches too much.

I'm thinking of joining a gym in the area called Planet Fitness which advertises itself as "no meatheads, no lunks" so it doesn't have the bodybuilder types hanging out. It's inexpensive and a lot of cardio, which I know some people are kind of "eeeeh" about, but with my knee and everything, I like being able to climb onto an elliptical and go for a little while. I'm also looking into a little bit of weight training to build up some more strength.

Oh god, I talk too much, sorry.

1%
1%

eh... if you think you talk too much you should look at one of my threads :)

and your fitness journey is just that YOUR fitness journey....

I personally LOVE the strength training...

AND I have signed up for THREE races (so far) next year... :)

make it yours and make it awesome!

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

If you're not going full-paleo, I'd suggest you go low-carb. Cut down on grains and bread gradually and get most of your carbs from fruits. Trust me, it works so well. I'm trying to gain weight (muscle weight), and when I started going low-carb, the fat around my stomach and other places just disappeared so quickly (I needed to start eating more because I had lost so much fat)! Of course, this is just from personal experience, but it's important to realize how vital your diet is in your health --simply working out will not help much if you're eating high-starch meals 3 times a day. Happy to help!

Hello fellow SoCal...ian. Socalian? Person from So Cal! Whereabouts? Don't say Redlands, just when I thought we could be friends  :playful:

Probably for you, moderation will be your key. Like has been said, lower carbs and smaller portions. Strength training will also be incredibly beneficial, especially with tricky wrists and such. Don't get caught up in trying to do too much too fast. Strength comes with time :)

Good luck in your goals! 

Have you tried swimming? Not straining tendons and has variety in all the different strokes.

Welcome Crosscord!

Hey, if the paleo diet is not for you, it's not for you. I am also a picky eater, especially when it comes to vegetables. Then I realised that it was the texture that bothered me, not the taste, so I started to puree everything. Soups are your friends! Good luck and keep us posted!

Would like to add, that if you don't like the taste, a good dose of chili covers the taste of just about everything :)    And even if cauliflower-tomato-apple-avocado-whatnot-soup would happen to taste horrible,

it takes 20 seconds of courage to chuck it down. If you mix the right things, you get enough vitamins for the whole day

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Spread love and understanding. Use force if necessary." - Leon Trotsky

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

"If you do strange things, strange things will happen!"

"That's it! Now go make something beautiful." -Jake Parker

Hello fellow SoCal...ian. Socalian? Person from So Cal! Whereabouts? Don't say Redlands, just when I thought we could be friends  :playful:

Probably for you, moderation will be your key. Like has been said, lower carbs and smaller portions. Strength training will also be incredibly beneficial, especially with tricky wrists and such. Don't get caught up in trying to do too much too fast. Strength comes with time :)

Good luck in your goals! 

Sorry for the late reply.

I'm in the Orange County area, near Disneyland.

1%
1%