Forums are back in action! ×

Guys and long hair

If it looks good on you, go for it. Moreover, if you've never grown it long, try it and see how it works for you.

I always wanted long hair growing up, so in high school I let it grow. And I found out that I look terrible with it. Luckily, early-onset baldness runs in my family...

They told me I could be anything when I grow up, so I became a superhero.

Handbook for Applied Superheroics:

Ch 1 | Ch 2 | Ch 3 | Ch 4

There are a lot of factors, but if you're not balding up top which growing your hair long will make it look worse I say go for it

Honestly I would grow my hair back out to my 90's style (undercut) if I could; it was fun when it was dry it would poof out and cover my ears, however when I got it wet it would be down to my shoulders; super poof!

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

I used to have long hair, and I liked it.  I think it depends on what type of hair you have and what you're going to do with it once it's long.  The biggest thing, though, is that some people do seem to see the hair first and make a snap judgment.  Long hair tends not to go over well in many professional settings, although there are exceptions.  And the ladies may have opinions one way or the other, so there's that.  OTOH, if you're in college, or have a job where it doesn't matter, go for it.  Worst case, you have a year or so of unfortunate pictures to look at later in life.

I had hair down to the lower part of my back in the 80s & 90s. I cut it when I graduated College(per agreement w/ my Mom). I wish almost everyday I could have it back. However, being in law enforcement, I can't have it.

Downsides: I'm strawberry blond and straight hair, so I got nearly every f'in day "You look like Axl Rose". Since I hate Axl it was a major downside. My hair had NO body to it, so it was either straight or ponytail. I live in Louisiana, summers 95+ w/ 95+% humidity, so you can figure that one out.

Upsides: I'm a Metalhead, so the long hair was good for "hair slinging". It was long enough to get a really good windmill while playing my bass(slinging head in a circle) especially on "For Whom The Bell Tolls". The Metal chics loved the color because it wasn't blond or black. It would look really good if I wore it in a "partial ponytail" (high ponytail w/ hair hanging under the tail). I was easy to spot in a crowd. I got to sling hair w/ Dimebag Darrel and Phil Anselmo from Pantera multiple times before they made it big.

I say go for it. If you don't like it, cut it. I've gone from short hair, long hair, shorter hair, buzzed hair, and no hair(shaved). If I could have it long like I did in the 80s, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

I have wanted to grow my hair out and see what it looks like since I was a kid, I always get to that point were it bothers me on the back of my neck and I end up getting it cut though.  this time I am going to keep it growing for a wile before I get it chopped off though, see what it looks like.  

My friend said long hair and beards makes guys look like creepers, but that is her own opinion, I think it depends on the person. and there attitude as well.  At least she hasn't told me I should shave my goatee, since I clean shaven in 2006 for a couple months., otherwise have had it and mustache since the year I got out of the military.  so after 14 years I don't want to change that, still debating the hair though, right now its just a mess.

Briguy, level 2 STR 1|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2[/TD][/TR][/TABLE] "Learn the principle, abide by the principle, and dissolve the principle. In short, enter a mold without being caged in it. Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!" Bruce Lee "To Live by a principal is to live, do die with no principal you have not lived."

Battle Log   My Fitness Pal

I say go for it, but I may be a bit bias... the only part I hated was that awkard "Can't do anything with it" phase once it hits a few inches long. It just kinda poofs out every which way, I've gotten more than a few compliments on it from hairdressers and putting it up in a high ponytail as KAllen said is the solution for when you're out working and need to keep it out of your face.

Also though, my hair is super thick and poofy, it seems to sit better after a day or so without a shower. If yours is the same then I'd get some hair oil stuff to keep it in check.

As for the creeper thing, meh... if they're gonna form an opinion about me because of my hair, they're just saving me the waste of time in getting to know them.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

I think as long as there is a general style going on, long hair on a guy can look good. Nothing requiring major time for upkeep but avoid the "I got tired of cutting my hair so I just stopped and this is how it grew out all on its own" look.

I'm a woman but have gone from super short hair to medium length a couple of times and that in between stage really can be challenging if you have thick hair that likes to pouf out on you. I dealt with that with barrettes and headbands but Insanity's suggestion to wash less is likely a better option for you.

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

These days I have the receding hairline :( , but in the late 90's I had it down to my shoulders. I was living in the Carribbean at the time and it was a style for that time. I cut it all off for college, but grew it back out towards the end of college. I say, if you have the hair and the job that will allow it, do it! Someone else mentioned this, depending on the type of hair you have (mine is wavy when it gets longer), there is a phase you will hit that you can't do anything with it. For me, mine gets into a poof phase where it looks like a fro or like I have wings....until more length comes in to weigh it down, there's not much I can do.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

If it wasn't for the fact that I've known her for a few years.  I am going to try and past that awkward phase again.  I do the same with growing a beard, right before it starts getting good I chop it all off because it becomes more of a poof than anything else.  right now the top of my head is around 5 inches long and the back maybe 2 or 3.  

I'll attempt to just get a trim for the next couple of cuts and see how that works. . . 

And if she doesn't like me cause my hair is getting longer, well, oh well.

• Like 1

Briguy, level 2 STR 1|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2[/TD][/TR][/TABLE] "Learn the principle, abide by the principle, and dissolve the principle. In short, enter a mold without being caged in it. Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!" Bruce Lee "To Live by a principal is to live, do die with no principal you have not lived."

Battle Log   My Fitness Pal

Personally I think the best way to do that is to Skrillex it: shaved short below the temple but long on top.

99% of the time when mere mortal men try to grow their hair out they end up making it look greasy and unkempt. Having the sides and back of your head shaved real short make it obvious at first glance that it's long on purpose and not just because you're lazy. It makes long hair into an obvious intentional statement.

[ Babby's Ferst Challenge ]

Veganism killed my gainz

Chasing 15 rep 2xBW deadlift

Personally I'v always had a thing for guys with long hair.....However there are some for whom it doesn't work - my husband being one of them unfortunately. The only way you'll ever know is to give it a try. What's the worse that can happen, you hate it and cut it all off again. Go for it I say.

Level 6, Ranger

Challenge I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X Current Challenge

My Sewing Blog

You should totally do it! haha. I haven't had a hair cut for 4 years or more now. It really sucks for like, the first year or so. Although once it grew out to an acceptable length I got it dread and started the "This really sucks" phase all over again (but that's another story...) As for jobs... I'm a bit of a weirdo and would rather look the way I want than work a job that tells me I can't. Ironically, I worked in the mutual fund industry for the passed 4 years as well and I while I never ran into any issues with it officially. I totally felt isolated at my most recent job in that field. (could have been the tattoos and piercings as well I guess...) Here are some pros and cons I've found over the years.

Pros:

-You don't have to make uncomfortable small talk with that weird hairdresser once every month or two. 

-Yet another thing to develop your discipline (It's pretty hard not to cut it off after a few months of looking terrible)

- It's awesome

- Seriously

Cons

- You will inhale it...

- again...takes a long time to look good...but worth it...it's like joining an elite club..

- You don't get to talk to that cute hairdresser once every month or two....

-That's it...you should just do it..

• Like 1

Well if you dont have hair like mine go for it. I was unfortunate to get my fathers hair which means if I let it go I end up with and afro like he has in his wedding photos now forever. No thanks.

• Like 1

Race: Undead Gnoll | Class: Ranger

[Level: 3 | STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 4 | CON 4 | WIS 5 | CHA 4 ]

Intro: And Breath.. Challenges: #1,#2,#3(FAIL),#4

You don't drown by falling in the water, you drown by staying there.

-Edwin Louis Cole

Personally I think the best way to do that is to Skrillex it: shaved short below the temple but long on top.

99% of the time when mere mortal men try to grow their hair out they end up making it look greasy and unkempt. Having the sides and back of your head shaved real short make it obvious at first glance that it's long on purpose and not just because you're lazy. It makes long hair into an obvious intentional statement.

I disagree with this.  IMO, the ideal long-haired look is some amalgamation of Jesus, Conan, Thor, Sitting Bull, Khal Drogo, and Unfrozen Cave Man Lawyer.  To me at least, the appeal of long hair is one part "state of nature" and one part "too badass to be harmed by mere scissors."  Keep it clean, brush it (men who look greasy and unkempt usually are, in fact, greasy and unkempt, and it's usually avoidable), tie it back if you want, but don't get fancy.

• Like 1

Isn't that called a Mullet??? Mullets are a definite "No NO".
  • Like 1

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

Isn't that called a Mullet??? Mullets are a definite "No NO".

That is referencing what i believe is called undercutting... you grow it all out, then cut it real short under a top layer of long hair.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)