Forums are back in action! ×

Fashion for all sizes and fitness levels!

There's been much discussion of this on my challenge thread (we, uh, tend to get off topic a bit) and a few people expressed interest in having a thread for this on the forums sooooooooooooooo I thought I'd take the plunge and create it!

We all know that the fashion magazines and retailers tend to market to a physique that is, shall we say, somewhat unrealistic for most adult women.  Sure, some people really are naturally waifish, but for most of the rest of us, well... and sometimes, when trying to lose weight especially, the perception is that "fashion is only for thin people."  (Naturally, men likely encounter this issue too to some extent - I don't feel that I am fully qualified to speak on it, but by all means, we can talk about that here too!)  Anyway, I don't believe that at all!  I think that fashion has the potential to make you feel great about yourself at any size, and I think it's a good tool for improving your self-esteem and self-acceptance as you go through your fitness journey!

Basically, I figure people can use this thread to discuss anything related to the topic - fun new fashion blogs, "hey look at this cute outfit I got last weekend," questions, advice (if asked for), whatever you like!  I realize it's kind of vague, but I wanted this to be fairly free-form.  Definitely not limited to women - regardless of where you identify on the gender spectrum, if you're interested in the topic of fashion, you are welcome here!

A start to discussion:

When I gained a lot of weight, I started feeling like I couldn't access fashion anymore and should just wear shapeless clothing because it was what I "deserved."  Thankfully, I accidentally discovered plus size bloggers GabifreshNicolette Mason, and Jay Miranda, and the visuals of not-thin women in trendy, fun, even sexy clothes helped to begin healing my self-esteem.  I feel so much better about myself when I can be confident about what I'm wearing!  I actually got really good at shopping plus size brands (so if you're having issues, ask!).  I'm out of plus sizes now, but I still love these ladies and look to them for ideas (out of plus sizes or no, I am far bigger than your typical "standard" fashion model).  And the funny thing is, when I stopped so actively hating my body coincides almost perfectly with when the weight started coming off, hmmmmmmmm..... ;)

So in any case, come in, discuss, babble!  I am liable to offer to dress up everyone I know (as the people acquainted with me will attest) but I will try to behave unless someone asks for advice!

• Like 5

?current challenge?

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

I definitely agree with "stop hating your body, good stuff happens."  The weight didn't start to come off, but so much other stuff happened for me. Chalene Johnson actually started me down that road because she is so positive in her workout videos something sank in. Years later, I'm still working on it and I feel so much better. It's a little sad to say, but my last relationship really opened my eyes too. Everything I thought was gross about my body, he loved it and that helped me love it, or at least forgive it. Getting 2 years of positive affirmations about my body (at its worst) helped a lot, now that he taught me that, it's up to me to do it for myself. I wish it had come from a woman (my mom, my grandma, an Aunt, society) than a man, but I'll take what I can get. 

No matter what my body looks like it is still capable of doing *everything* I need it to. Including being attractive.

That being said, the fashion industry still knows how to bring me to my knees. Not to mention they photoshop women to have hour glass proportions, larger breasts, but the clothes are sold for the aforementioned waif. So we get messages that we have to have one type of body, but are sold clothes for another type. How frustrating can it possibly get?!!!  

I have always thought about having my t-shirts tailored and I just read a blurb about Jennifer Aniston doing it. I always thought I was a bit crazy, but I've decide to just do it. I cannot possibly find a t-shirt that won't look like a sac on my body and who doesn't love t-shirts? Having t-shirts that I know will look great on me because they have been made to fit me will make me feel so much better about how I look even on my most casual days. 

Thanks for starting this thread. :) 

Oh and if you haven't gotten rid of your plus size clothes............

• Like 1

Half Elf, 28.6 lbs overweight, average height, voluptuous, low muscle mass, bad ass mother f*cker

Current Challenge  Fourth Challenge Third Challenge Second Challenge First Challenge  My Long List of Goals 

Level 5

STR: 5STA: 4, DEX: 7, CON: 9, WIS: 13CHA: 8

Weight Goal: 2/43.6

1%
1%

â€œAnd the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom†-- Anaïs Nin

Website      Instagram 

Love this thread idea!

I've always been pretty confident but when I was younger I had issues dressing for my body and didn't realize I could be fashionable even though I was overweight.

Pa few years ago I worked at a plus sized women's specialty store. It was SO disheartening seeing woman after woman come in with horrible self esteem. Lots of women wouldn't even try things on in the fitting room, I'm guessing that it made them uncomfortable, they would just buy items to try at home and return if they didn't fit. There was one really lovely girl who came In with her mother who in my opinion had fine healthy proportions but wad probably shopping in plus size because she was quite tall and had large hips. Her mother was horrible! She shot her daughter down constantly. :(

I will definitely check out those bloggers. I already love gabifresh and love plus size high fashion even though I am usually only a 12.

One of my personal fave bloggers is https://www.facebook.com/vintageortacky she is fab. Does a lot of makeup tutorials but also does some fashion, she's great. :) check out her YouTube too,

• Like 1

LEVEL 2 | HALF DWARF | ADVENTURER

STR 6 | DEX 2 | STA 5 | CON 4 | WIS 6.5 | CHA 1

I definitely agree with "stop hating your body, good stuff happens."  The weight didn't start to come off, but so much other stuff happened for me. Chalene Johnson actually started me down that road because she is so positive in her workout videos something sank in. Years later, I'm still working on it and I feel so much better. It's a little sad to say, but my last relationship really opened my eyes too. Everything I thought was gross about my body, he loved it and that helped me love it, or at least forgive it. Getting 2 years of positive affirmations about my body (at its worst) helped a lot, now that he taught me that, it's up to me to do it for myself. I wish it had come from a woman (my mom, my grandma, an Aunt, society) than a man, but I'll take what I can get. 

No matter what my body looks like it is still capable of doing *everything* I need it to. Including being attractive.

That being said, the fashion industry still knows how to bring me to my knees. Not to mention they photoshop women to have hour glass proportions, larger breasts, but the clothes are sold for the aforementioned waif. So we get messages that we have to have one type of body, but are sold clothes for another type. How frustrating can it possibly get?!!!  

I have always thought about having my t-shirts tailored and I just read a blurb about Jennifer Aniston doing it. I always thought I was a bit crazy, but I've decide to just do it. I cannot possibly find a t-shirt that won't look like a sac on my body and who doesn't love t-shirts? Having t-shirts that I know will look great on me because they have been made to fit me will make me feel so much better about how I look even on my most casual days. 

Thanks for starting this thread. :) 

Oh and if you haven't gotten rid of your plus size clothes............

You are fabulous and gorgeous always.  I know this to be so.

And my wife has inherited some (but not all) of my 14s, and we have a bunch of 16s lying around on her side of the closet too.........

Love this thread idea!

I've always been pretty confident but when I was younger I had issues dressing for my body and didn't realize I could be fashionable even though I was overweight.

Pa few years ago I worked at a plus sized women's specialty store. It was SO disheartening seeing woman after woman come in with horrible self esteem. Lots of women wouldn't even try things on in the fitting room, I'm guessing tea use it made them uncomfortable, they would just buy items it try st home and return if they didn't fit. There was one really lovely girl who came In with her mother who in my opinion had fine healthy proportions but wad probably shopping inputs size because age was quite tall and had large hips. Her mother was horrible! She shot her daughter down constantly. :(

I will definitely check out those bloggers. I already love gabifresh and love plus size high fashion even though I am usually only a 12.

One of my personal fave bloggers is https://www.facebook.com/vintageortacky she is fab. Does a lot of makeup tutorials but also does some fashion, she's great. :) check out her YouTube too,

Ooooh, that girl has mad make-up skills.

And that story makes me sad.  Mothers are sometimes so awful to their daughters.  Mine always was, and she still doesn't fully grasp that when she says insulting things to me, it hurts.  Ughhhhh.

• Like 1

?current challenge?

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

When I say I have "body issues" mostly what I mean is that I can't find clothing I like, especially because I'm into thrifting since new clothes are so expensive.

I'm working on making custom clothing for myself.  Still expensive, but the quality and fit will be a lot better.  Fortunately the steampunk movement gives me a source for patterns that accommodate my posture.  http://lucycorsetry.com/research-corset-brands/guided-galleries/s-bend-edwardian-corsets/  I have a natural bustle. 

• Like 3

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

I also have a difficult time with clothing off the rack for another reason--chest size. I'm an A. I don't see this as a problem. I LIKE this about myself. But, the fashion industry disagrees. I sometimes have a difficult time finding undergarments because some stores don't even carry anything smaller than a B. Or, more often the case, what's smaller than a B is all augmented to make you look bigger. Does not want! Sometimes I've considered getting a binder just to defy convention...

A lot of off-the-rack clothing hangs in me weirdly, too. It MOSTLY fits, except for the chest, and while I could take the chest in easily, I don't really feel like giving the company my money anymore. Once I started to sew everyday clothes for myself instead of  just costumes I was surprised to find that a lot of women's sewing patterns ALSO do not go smaller than a B. But, it's pretty easy for me to alter the patterns to flatten out the chest. I need to get back to sewing more everyday clothes now that I've got a better machine that doesn't jam every two feet.

Yes, mothers. Argh. When I was injured as a teenager and had to wear a back brace, mine said "it makes you look like you actually have boobs. Maybe you should keep wearing it after you're better."

• Like 5

Level 2 Elf Assassin

Str: 4 | Dex: 5 | Sta: 3 | Con: 2 | Wis: 4 | Cha: 3

"When people called me freak, I closed my eyes and laughed, because they were blind to happiness." --hide

First challenge! Second challenge! Third challenge!

def gonna be throwing up some pictures here! im super tall and have shoulders for days, so i wear +size clothes pretty much exclusively and, even tho im not overweight, am sized out of most fashion retailers. that being said, i love finding cool ways to make outfits work and am always on the hunt for tips! keen :)

• Like 4

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's posts and planning to check out the blogs.  I used to hate clothing shopping until I discovered a few plus size stores. I still have issues as I'm all belly, and some things simply won't fit right, but at least I can find cute stuff these days.  As a teen and in my early 20s I had horrible clothing because it was over an hour's drive to the only plus size store around and I often had to resort to wearing men's jeans a t-shirts because that's all I could find that fit.  Now we have a few stores near where I live that have plus size items.  Finding clothing that looks right on makes such a difference in how I feel about myself. Also, I love that these stores sell plus size jewelry too.  I'd hate seeing a bracelet I loved and knowing that there was no way it would fit my wrist!

• Like 3

Current Challenge: Late start, but here at last.

Level 6 Magikarp

Past Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5

My NF Character and Epic Quest!

I never even thought about jewelry plus sized. But I don't wear much.

Half Elf, 28.6 lbs overweight, average height, voluptuous, low muscle mass, bad ass mother f*cker

Current Challenge  Fourth Challenge Third Challenge Second Challenge First Challenge  My Long List of Goals 

Level 5

1%
1%

â€œAnd the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom†-- Anaïs Nin

Website      Instagram 

Lane Bryant is one that does plus size jewelry and shoes.  They make the necklaces a bit longer and the bracelets a bit bigger so that they fit over large hands and onto wrists.  They are also pretty good about sizing their pieces to that they look proportionally correct on larger women.  And the shoes are great because they make boots with wider legs so that you don't have them squeezing your calves and ankles. I don't wear tons of jewelry and boots, but it's so nice that when I do see something in the store that I love I don't have to debate if it'll cut of my circulation. 

• Like 2

Level 6 Magikarp

When I say I have "body issues" mostly what I mean is that I can't find clothing I like, especially because I'm into thrifting since new clothes are so expensive.

I'm working on making custom clothing for myself.  Still expensive, but the quality and fit will be a lot better.  Fortunately the steampunk movement gives me a source for patterns that accommodate my posture.  http://lucycorsetry.com/research-corset-brands/guided-galleries/s-bend-edwardian-corsets/  I have a natural bustle. 

Oh man, there are days I really wish I had let my mother teach me to sew.  Making my own stuff would be so amazing.  Would love to see photos of your creations!!!

I also have a difficult time with clothing off the rack for another reason--chest size. I'm an A. I don't see this as a problem. I LIKE this about myself. But, the fashion industry disagrees. I sometimes have a difficult time finding undergarments because some stores don't even carry anything smaller than a B. Or, more often the case, what's smaller than a B is all augmented to make you look bigger. Does not want! Sometimes I've considered getting a binder just to defy convention...

A lot of off-the-rack clothing hangs in me weirdly, too. It MOSTLY fits, except for the chest, and while I could take the chest in easily, I don't really feel like giving the company my money anymore. Once I started to sew everyday clothes for myself instead of  just costumes I was surprised to find that a lot of women's sewing patterns ALSO do not go smaller than a B. But, it's pretty easy for me to alter the patterns to flatten out the chest. I need to get back to sewing more everyday clothes now that I've got a better machine that doesn't jam every two feet.

Yes, mothers. Argh. When I was injured as a teenager and had to wear a back brace, mine said "it makes you look like you actually have boobs. Maybe you should keep wearing it after you're better."

Ughhhhhhhhhh mothers, why.

I have the opposite problem - my chest is too big!  Even when I was a tiny size 4, I still wore a D-cup bra.  So when I buy shirts, they are either way too tight in the chest, or hang down like a freaking circus tent if I pick a size that fits my chest right...

Probably why I've gotten into the trend of high-waisted skirts and pants with blouses tucked in.  I can hide some of the loose fabric that way.

Also, again, jealous of sewing skills!  I can fix a seam or a button, but that's about the extent of mine...

def gonna be throwing up some pictures here! im super tall and have shoulders for days, so i wear +size clothes pretty much exclusively and, even tho im not overweight, am sized out of most fashion retailers. that being said, i love finding cool ways to make outfits work and am always on the hunt for tips! keen :)

Ooooooooooooooooh pictures!  I am watching this space!

Looking forward to seeing everyone's posts and planning to check out the blogs.  I used to hate clothing shopping until I discovered a few plus size stores. I still have issues as I'm all belly, and some things simply won't fit right, but at least I can find cute stuff these days.  As a teen and in my early 20s I had horrible clothing because it was over an hour's drive to the only plus size store around and I often had to resort to wearing men's jeans a t-shirts because that's all I could find that fit.  Now we have a few stores near where I live that have plus size items.  Finding clothing that looks right on makes such a difference in how I feel about myself. Also, I love that these stores sell plus size jewelry too.  I'd hate seeing a bracelet I loved and knowing that there was no way it would fit my wrist!

Clothing and jewelry that fits right is a dream!!!!  And it's kind of nice, at the larger sizes, to be able to wear big statement jewelry without looking overdone - it's one thing that many very thin women can't pull off.  (On the flip side, tiny/delicate type jewelry often seems out of place, sighhhhhhhhhhhhh you can't win them all?).

For any/all plus size ladies, have you ever heard of ASOS Curve?  My absolute favorite thing.  They make incredibly gorgeous and sexy dresses in particular.  I have this one which fortunately still fits me even though I've shrunk.... I walk out in this and heads turn!

I will also probably be dropping money on a few pieces from the Nicolette Mason collection for ModCloth once it's out.  Sizes XS-4X (as it should be!!!!!!!!!!!!!).  That polka dot dress!  That pink coat!  That floral skirt!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

?current challenge?

instagram | goodreads

(Naturally, men likely encounter this issue too to some extent - I don't feel that I am fully qualified to speak on it, but by all means, we can talk about that here too!)  

And on that note...I am a very large mammal (6'2" and roughly 375lbs.) and after working from home the last 4 years, throw in a two year old, all the clothes I own are stained, stretched or ill fitting.  The idea of getting new clothes absolutely terrifies me due to my extreme body issues and self hate.  I have recently been laid off and now have to prepare to be in public (which is a completely separate nightmare for me) and I need to get new clothes.  Add to this the increasing feeling that my wife no longer finds me attractive (I can't blame her for it) and I am at a loss.  I know how to wear a good tailored suit, it's about the only thing that does not have a child induced stain on it in my closet, but it is the everyday 'business casual' and even 'casual casual' that is getting to me and I wanted some input, specifically from you lovely ladies.

In your opinions what do you think looks good on, lets just say it, fat men?  Have you seen any styles or thoughts on a look that you have seen that has impressed you or even just made you not disregard or even overlook the fact the guy was fat?  I have always kept in mind the saying that the goal of a fat guys clothes are to not to make him look like a thin man, but to make him look like a big man (think well dressed football/rugby player).

And yes I have looked up style ideas online, but I am truly interested in a perspective of someone that would find the style attractive on a fat guy (due to said above issue).  That being said I am no fashion expert but wifeDee is always asking for my input on her outfits and I would be willing to share any outside perspective for anyone here.

Clothing and jewelry that fits right is a dream!!!!  And it's kind of nice, at the larger sizes, to be able to wear big statement jewelry without looking overdone - it's one thing that many very thin women can't pull off.  (On the flip side, tiny/delicate type jewelry often seems out of place, sighhhhhhhhhhhhh you can't win them all?).

WifeDee has been in the jewelry (high-end) business for a decade and I can tell you that I have learned that jewelry is like a mans suit, it must be made to fit by a professional.  If you find something you like most any good jeweler can re-size or recreate it for you, the re-size being cheaper than most people think.  Just some input.

• Like 3

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

And on that note...I am a very large mammal (6'2" and roughly 375lbs.) and after working from home the last 4 years, throw in a two year old, all the clothes I own are stained, stretched or ill fitting.  The idea of getting new clothes absolutely terrifies me due to my extreme body issues and self hate.  I have recently been laid off and now have to prepare to be in public (which is a completely separate nightmare for me) and I need to get new clothes.  Add to this the increasing feeling that my wife no longer finds me attractive (I can't blame her for it) and I am at a loss.  I know how to wear a good tailored suit, it's about the only thing that does not have a child induced stain on it in my closet, but it is the everyday 'business casual' and even 'casual casual' that is getting to me and I wanted some input, specifically from you lovely ladies.

In your opinions what do you think looks good on, lets just say it, fat men?  Have you seen any styles or thoughts on a look that you have seen that has impressed you or even just made you not disregard or even overlook the fact the guy was fat?  I have always kept in mind the saying that the goal of a fat guys clothes are to not to make him look like a thin man, but to make him look like a big man (think well dressed football/rugby player).

And yes I have looked up style ideas online, but I am truly interested in a perspective of someone that would find the style attractive on a fat guy (due to said above issue).  That being said I am no fashion expert but wifeDee is always asking for my input on her outfits and I would be willing to share any outside perspective for anyone here.

WifeDee has been in the jewelry (high-end) business for a decade and I can tell you that I have learned that jewelry is like a mans suit, it must be made to fit by a professional.  If you find something you like most any good jeweler can re-size or recreate it for you, the re-size being cheaper than most people think.  Just some input.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm from my perspective, there's nothing worse than clothes that are too big/don't fit right.  they immediately make the wearer look even larger and less confident.  Confidence is the number one thing that is going to make a larger man (or woman) stand out and look better, in my opinion!

I think you can't go wrong with slacks or khakis and (properly fitting) button-downs, maybe a sweater over if it's chilly (I looooooooooove the white shirt collar peeking out from a sweater look - both on men and women).  Jackets/sport coats are good too.  I can't say much about color without knowing your complexion etc but when clothes fit right and are of good fabric, they make the wearer look instantly better!  Then (the hardest part) walk tall and confident, and you're already looking good!

• Like 2

?current challenge?

instagram | goodreads

I hadn't thought about having jewelry re-sized before. I'm going to have to look into this as there is a ring at the local antique store that I love, but it's way to small.  

For large men's clothing, I used to have a co-worker who in spite of being both very tall and very large always looked nice.  He tended to wear black slacks and nice button down shirts. The most important thing I think for him was that he made sure the pants fit properly in the legs, so that he didn't have lots of extra material.  For the shirts, it was making sure that they didn't stretch between buttons, but weren't too big and hanging off of him.  Because his close looked like they fit him instead of being too big or too small you never really though about his size, just that he looked nice.

• Like 3

Level 6 Magikarp

Oh man, there are days I really wish I had let my mother teach me to sew.  Making my own stuff would be so amazing.  Would love to see photos of your creations!!!

Ughhhhhhhhhh mothers, why.

I have the opposite problem - my chest is too big!  Even when I was a tiny size 4, I still wore a D-cup bra.  So when I buy shirts, they are either way too tight in the chest, or hang down like a freaking circus tent if I pick a size that fits my chest right...

Probably why I've gotten into the trend of high-waisted skirts and pants with blouses tucked in.  I can hide some of the loose fabric that way.

Also, again, jealous of sewing skills!  I can fix a seam or a button, but that's about the extent of mine...

Ooooooooooooooooh pictures!  I am watching this space!

For everyone that can find things that fit in one place but not others... learn how to modify clothing.  I haven't done much of it, but it should be easier than to start from scratch depending on what you need.  Having broad shoulders and needing to take in the extra fabric at the torso is pretty easy.  Well, it's easier for women since darts are more standard in our clothing.

Maybe there is something here that will help.  http://bustygirlcomics.com/faq

For professional fat men... A lot of the ones I've interacted with wore polo shirts, but their shirts fit decently.  And they had the attitude of "I have brains, I don't need looks."  

Perhaps look into a professional tailor.  If something sits on the shoulders right, and isn't straining anywhere, that is half the battle.

• Like 1

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

I agree with what everyone has said about clothing choices for large guys. If your clothes fit you well and you look neat, and you look like you feel confident in them, that is usually the first thing that registers in my brain as something worth paying attention to. I'll notice whether a guy is overweight or skinny or whatever, but if you seem like you're confident with your appearance then weight tends to get filed under "currently unimportant detail" along with stuff like "has brown hair" or "ties shoelaces in a single bow." I also think that vests are incredibly snazzy.

I'm thinking of a male coworker who is a large guy but whom I would consider pretty attractive. Aside from the aforementioned things, he also wears a variety of colors of shirts. He's got one that's a bit darker than what I'd normally call lavender, and another one that's a bright reef blue...these colors look good on him, but the choice of them also tells me that he feels confident about his appearance because they are not clothing colors that really blend into the crowd. And if I didn't actually think he looked nice I wouldn't be able to recall any of his wardrobe right now.

• Like 3

Level 2 Elf Assassin

Str: 4 | Dex: 5 | Sta: 3 | Con: 2 | Wis: 4 | Cha: 3

"When people called me freak, I closed my eyes and laughed, because they were blind to happiness." --hide

First challenge! Second challenge! Third challenge!

I can relate to not finding fitting clothing, I went back to wearing my old band shirts out of necessity and got 2 new jeans yesterday. I started seriously powerlifting, making sure I eat enough and my pants size has gone from needing a belt on a size 32 to a size 38 being a good fit in 6 months time. I'm now actually 7kg heavier than I was at my chubbiest. Most of that weight is posterior chain and upper back so polo shirts and button ups are impossible to find, even slimfits are always to narrow in the shoulders or to baggy around the middle. People have told me to get custom tailored shirts, but it seems like a such a waste if I keep adding mass at this rate.

On the upside gf is happy she doesn't feel underdressed anymore walking next to me :D

I found this tutorial.  It takes a little imagination to see how it relates, but the principle should be handy.  http://www.itsalwaysautumn.com/2013/06/17/easy-upcycled-pajames-from-t-shirt-to-nightgown-in-15-minute.html

I also encountered smocking.  Basically a little math, a little creative work with a needle and thread, and baggy material becomes a nifty embellishment.  http://www.sewlisette.com/blog/2013/06/smocked-continental-tunic/  It takes a little looking to find smocking that's masculine, but these patterns where the stitching doesn't show might work in small patches.  http://www.aramloe.com/2012/01/day-5-haute-couture-avec-monsieur-loe.html

• Like 1

cool find and thanks for sharing! i think this would look rad on some of my longer, billowy skirts and really work to bring them together. but im not a fan of the tunic she demos where it falls from half way up her back. thats like, the anti-waist/butt garment :/ you could maybe get away with pulling in the sides to create a false waist when smocking though, and that would give the tunic some shape (kinda like pre-pinning clothes for a photoshoot, but permanent). you could do some rad things with it!

ok lets do this - what im wearing in the office today! dont mind the "has the photo taken yet?" face :tongue:

q6RzcLH.jpg

this skirt is starting to get a little loose now, so it sits lower on my hips than i'd like, but its still one of my favourite items of clothing. has excellent structure and is super comfy. works well with a whole bunch of work out fits. i have it in gray as well. size 14 from basque. i love pencils in general because of my height, and high wasted anything means my shirts look like they fit (rather than dangling just above the top of my pants). open cardigan to pull the eye of my wide shoulders and help aid the false waist thing. 

oh and those are mens boots. fuck yeh androgynous fashion!

• Like 4

cool find and thanks for sharing! i think this would look rad on some of my longer, billowy skirts and really work to bring them together. but im not a fan of the tunic she demos where it falls from half way up her back. thats like, the anti-waist/butt garment :/ you could maybe get away with pulling in the sides to create a false waist when smocking though, and that would give the tunic some shape (kinda like pre-pinning clothes for a photoshoot, but permanent). you could do some rad things with it!

Ah yeah, I found an example for my problem area.  It really depends on where your body does something that the designers didn't have in mind.

This is sort of a negative article with the "illusion of skinny" talk, but the principle could also work to make a rectangular body-shape look more like an hourglass.  http://trendbetter.me/looking-skinny-with-color-blocking/  "color block dresses to look slimmer" brings more examples of the style than "color block dresses side panels" :(

Here is a Butterick pattern.  http://butterick.mccall.com/b6088-products-48784.php?page_id=147  Joanne's usually has a sale on certain brands, so you can get them for a dollar or two on the right weekend.  Vogue doesn't go on sale like that very often, but flip through a pattern book.  They actually have a key for which body shapes they had in mind for specific patterns.  http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v9017-products-48741.php?page_id=4517

• Like 1

I am so happy this thread has taken off! I thought it would be something I occasionally checked out, but ALL the websites and ALL the tips and ALL the support with issues! Fantastic.

Lane Bryant is one that does plus size jewelry and shoes.  They make the necklaces a bit longer and the bracelets a bit bigger so that they fit over large hands and onto wrists.  They are also pretty good about sizing their pieces to that they look proportionally correct on larger women.  And the shoes are great because they make boots with wider legs so that you don't have them squeezing your calves and ankles. I don't wear tons of jewelry and boots, but it's so nice that when I do see something in the store that I love I don't have to debate if it'll cut of my circulation. 

I find this very intriguing. I want to be inside their research team. Also, who doesn't love boots that fit over chubby calves. 

I wish my Uncle was on here. He is a larger man and he just wore a pink suit jacket with white pants to a party and he looked so freaking dashing.  

I would say tailored. (Although I have never gone by that advice, I am really going to get into it.) And colors.  I love a jacket and jeans on any man. I think it is so sexy. Takes me back to Tommy Lee Jones in The Fugitive.  A good suit. I do think it would be harder to dress as an over weight man than a woman. Yes, there is more pressure on women, but at least we have options and belts to pull shirts/dresses in at the waist. Men have pants and button down shirts. What do you do with that?  I would also add being well groomed makes a huge difference in the over all look. Clean hair cut and either clean shaven or neatly trimmed facial hair. But then again, I am huge on groomed eyebrows on women and think they make a ton of difference and I even get a little blue when mine have gone too long. 

It makes me sad that your wife doesn't find you attractive because you have gained weight. I have had guys not find me attractive after I have gained weight. (Happened twice), but I never cared when they gained weight. It really sucks when that happens and why can't people just be more forgiving of that stuff? 

My last boyfriend always tells me if I lose weight he won't be able to keep his hands off me. My first reaction is always, "You don't now," but that reaction is immediately followed by, "Hey, wait? WTF? Shut up!"  Just because *you* see me naked, doesn't mean *you* get a say in how my naked body should look. I have to live in it.  I'm not made to order. RAWR! 

Level 5

1%
1%

Website      Instagram 

ok lets do this - what im wearing in the office today! dont mind the "has the photo taken yet?" face :tongue:

q6RzcLH.jpg

this skirt is starting to get a little loose now, so it sits lower on my hips than i'd like, but its still one of my favourite items of clothing. has excellent structure and is super comfy. works well with a whole bunch of work out fits. i have it in gray as well. size 14 from basque. i love pencils in general because of my height, and high wasted anything means my shirts look like they fit (rather than dangling just above the top of my pants). open cardigan to pull the eye of my wide shoulders and help aid the false waist thing. 

oh and those are mens boots. fuck yeh androgynous fashion!

I love your outfit!  Professional and very classy - and suits your body type!  Now I want to find someone to photograph me today... lmao.

Unrelated to fashion, I have deep envy of that clear blue water behind you.  Are you that close to the shore????????

Ah yeah, I found an example for my problem area.  It really depends on where your body does something that the designers didn't have in mind.

This is sort of a negative article with the "illusion of skinny" talk, but the principle could also work to make a rectangular body-shape look more like an hourglass.  http://trendbetter.me/looking-skinny-with-color-blocking/  "color block dresses to look slimmer" brings more examples of the style than "color block dresses side panels" :(

Here is a Butterick pattern.  http://butterick.mccall.com/b6088-products-48784.php?page_id=147  Joanne's usually has a sale on certain brands, so you can get them for a dollar or two on the right weekend.  Vogue doesn't go on sale like that very often, but flip through a pattern book.  They actually have a key for which body shapes they had in mind for specific patterns.  http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v9017-products-48741.php?page_id=4517

I do like the color blocking look, though because I'm naturally an hourglass I have to be subtle with this or the result is EXTREME.  It's absolutely fantastic on my wife, who has a more athletic build and not a terribly defined waist.

I am so happy this thread has taken off! I thought it would be something I occasionally checked out, but ALL the websites and ALL the tips and ALL the support with issues! Fantastic.

I find this very intriguing. I want to be inside their research team. Also, who doesn't love boots that fit over chubby calves. 

I wish my Uncle was on here. He is a larger man and he just wore a pink suit jacket with white pants to a party and he looked so freaking dashing.  

I would say tailored. (Although I have never gone by that advice, I am really going to get into it.) And colors.  I love a jacket and jeans on any man. I think it is so sexy. Takes me back to Tommy Lee Jones in The Fugitive.  A good suit. I do think it would be harder to dress as an over weight man than a woman. Yes, there is more pressure on women, but at least we have options and belts to pull shirts/dresses in at the waist. Men have pants and button down shirts. What do you do with that?  I would also add being well groomed makes a huge difference in the over all look. Clean hair cut and either clean shaven or neatly trimmed facial hair. But then again, I am huge on groomed eyebrows on women and think they make a ton of difference and I even get a little blue when mine have gone too long. 

It makes me sad that your wife doesn't find you attractive because you have gained weight. I have had guys not find me attractive after I have gained weight. (Happened twice), but I never cared when they gained weight. It really sucks when that happens and why can't people just be more forgiving of that stuff? 

My last boyfriend always tells me if I lose weight he won't be able to keep his hands off me. My first reaction is always, "You don't now," but that reaction is immediately followed by, "Hey, wait? WTF? Shut up!"  Just because *you* see me naked, doesn't mean *you* get a say in how my naked body should look. I have to live in it.  I'm not made to order. RAWR! 

Wait, hold on.  I really hope I am misunderstanding here.

Did this guy dump you for your weight and now wants to get back in your pants when the weight comes off?

Girl, that man deserves a punch in the balls.  Relationships are about so much more than the size of your thighs or butt.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I would come over there and punch him for you.

• Like 1

?current challenge?

instagram | goodreads