Forums are back in action! ×

Mid-life crisis starting in 3....2.....1.....

So I turned 30 last week.  I don't know how that happened!  To celebrate I was talked in to doing what felt like around 50 shots of Jaegermeister (not recommended!!) and have eaten my weight in cakes over this past week (not really recommended but still pretty tasty!).

The past few months have mostly been spent wondering what the hell I've done with my life and the past week in particular has seen a what-the-hell attitude to my diet.  My diet has always been fairly healthy so now I'm stuck with the guilty feelings about all the rubbish I've eaten.  I'm not going to lie - I now feel like crap!

Instead of letting this turn in to a full on melt down, I think now is the perfect time to respawn.

RESPAWN PLAN OF ACTION:

1)  Get the diet back on track

2)  Go back to drinking only occasionally (and by that I just mean the odd drink, not the occasional binge!!)

3)  Start exercising regularly again

Sounds simple enough right?

RESPAWN!!!!  You can do it, and you deserve good changes!  My 30's have been some of the best times of my life so far (I'll be 35 this year) :)  Challenge yourself, keep track of your victories (and defeats too, that's important), and we'll be here to cheer for you!

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

Thanks Shaarawy!  I think you're right about challenges/keeping track of victories, etc and I think that's where my workouts have failed in the past.  I've never really worked towards anything in particular.  With the exception of using a couch to 5k running plan, which I gave up on half way through, I've never really worked on a particular goal so it was hard to see what was a victory.  I've signed up for the Cancer Research Pretty Muddy obstacle course though which will be a pretty big victory if I can get to the end of that!!!  :D

• Like 1

It was so easy for me to give up and stop caring when it didn't seem like I was making any progress, and didn't have such a big support network like NF.  Lots has changes for the better since I came here! :D

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

So I turned 30 last week.

Since when does turning 30 constitute the beginning of a mid-life crisis?

• Like 1

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

Since when does turning 30 constitute the beginning of a mid-life crisis?

this.  Sorry, but that's not midlife unless you plan to die at age 60   ;)  Midlife crisis is when you hit age 35-45 and your kids are nearly grown (or these days, half grown) and hopefully your mortgage is paid off, and you suddenly decide to change careers, buy a motorcycle, get divorced, join a band, join a cult, etc.

they also make "quarter-life crises" but that's mostly when you graduate college and go "wait a minute, I owe $80,000 in student loans and turns out I didn't want this career anyway, and I just figured out I don't actually have to do what my parents want anymore, now what?"  And then you quit the corporate job that was supposed to pay your loans, and join some nonprofit or take a fling at starting a business.

They should have a "one-third life crisis" when you turn 30, realize you no longer have the body of a post-teenager and binges actually hurt now, you're still single and nowhere within shouting distance of a career, let alone retirement ... and then you join a cult.  I mean, a fitness website ^^  Not like I know anybody who does that *cough cough*

..... annnnyways.  Jagermeister shots on a dare, no wonder you feel like shit.  Good news is, that'll go away fast.  Bad news is, so will your new habits if you haven't got a plan.  Wanna pick a workout to stick on for a few weeks?

• Like 2

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Ha ha...Sam Ashen and Raincloak, you're both right. Definitely not planning on kicking the bucket that early so perhaps "mid-life" was a bit premature!  ;)

I've had a pretty good week since my last posts so just the act of posting seems to have set things in motion.  Been having a lot of fun getting back in the kitchen and worked out on 4 out of the last 7 days so I'm very happy with that!  Just need to get some kind of training plan in place for the race.  The Cancer Research plan suggests separate cardio and strength days.  It's not something I've tried before as I usually do a bit of both when I'm at the gym.  What would you guys recommend?

Oh good, I'm turning 30 this year and I was a little worried that you were referring to it as mid-life.  I literally just got over my quarter-life crisis; I'm not ready for another one!  ;)

Anyway, welcome - I love your profile pic (as one wizard to another) and I too know the pain of drinking too much last weekend and reevaluating your life choices. The race sounds like a great goal to get back on track, but I agree with Raincloack that you need a solid plan in order to keep to your goals.  I'm planning to read "Starting Strength" this week because I have no idea where to start strength training - I bet some of the rebels here can recommend similar resources for planning your ST and cardio days.  Or maybe you can look at something like the NF Bodyweight plan?

Look forward to seeing you around!

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel

"Every action you take is a vote for the type of person you wish to become." (James Clear, Atomic Habits)
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21/21

CURRENT CHALLENGE: AThousandWords casts a vote