Forums are back in action! ×

CHRONOLOGICALLY BLESSED

Urrrgh!  I'm on a laptop and can not find the check box.  I looked to the right of the listing in My Content and I also opened the thread and look there.  Can you be more specific as to its location.  A picture of the location would be cool.

If you click the red button on the right at the top of the list that says "Toggle Edit Options" then you will have the checkboxes.

• Like 1

Battle Log

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Fitbit, Epic Quest Character

If you click the red button on the right at the top of the list that says "Toggle Edit Options" then you will have the checkboxes.

Another Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!  I can't find a red button on the right at the top of anything that says "Toggle Edit Options". :neglected:

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

Another Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!  I can't find a red button on the right at the top of anything that says "Toggle Edit Options". :neglected:

Hmmmm. Okay, here is a pic of what I see on the "Content I Follow" page. The red button on the right is the one I'm talking about. Does that help any?

med_gallery_39458_2012_4658.jpg

• Like 1

Battle Log

Hmmmm. Okay, here is a pic of what I see on the "Content I Follow" page. The red button on the right is the one I'm talking about. Does that help any?

med_gallery_39458_2012_4658.jpg

Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

Well, it helps me see that you have something I do not. On the left under "By content type", Forums is hi-lited just like yours.  But down below, where yours has the words "By section", my screen says "See this member's".  The rest looks the same except there is no red box that says "Change".

I noticed the difference in what someone described when I asked how to paste things into my posts like a spreadsheet.  What he/she described did not exist.  I am using laptop, not a phone.  I wonder is there is more than 1 version of NF out there?

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

Well, it helps me see that you have something I do not. On the left under "By content type", Forums is hi-lited just like yours.  But down below, where yours has the words "By section", my screen says "See this member's".  The rest looks the same except there is no red box that says "Change".

I noticed the difference in what someone described when I asked how to paste things into my posts like a spreadsheet.  What he/she described did not exist.  I am using laptop, not a phone.  I wonder is there is more than 1 version of NF out there?

I think I see the problem here - Peel is asking about the "My Content" page, but Athena is replying about the "Content I Follow" page. The two do not have the same controls.

I don't think there's any way of deleting old threads off the "My Content" page. At least, I haven't found one.

• Like 2

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

Thanks Tomu-san. Just got an email from help desk showing the same thing. This will save me some time.

Mortals cannot delete threads.

wildross on the tablet

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Peelout - I'm glad you got an answer finally, but bummer that you can't delete those threads.  Maybe that's something that will come to the forums in the future.  

OPM - I feel the same way about sleep!  I do much better on my workout days, and really better overall.  Noticed that my legs bother me at night when I've had a longish period without working out.  Get back to regular exercise, and the issue is greatly lessened. 

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

I think I see the problem here - Peel is asking about the "My Content" page, but Athena is replying about the "Content I Follow" page. The two do not have the same controls.

I don't think there's any way of deleting old threads off the "My Content" page. At least, I haven't found one.

Oops! Sorry, peelout. But at least someone finally figured out what was going on!

Battle Log

Anyone have advice for dealing with an aging parent who must make some tough choices financially (downsize her living space and reduce her spending)?

My mom's acting like a twelve year old, and refusing to accept that she's maxed out her credit cards, her phone is going to get shut off, she's not going to get any more colostomy bags if she doesn't pay the bill, and yet she still firmly believes God will take care of her.  I love her faith but usually faith is accompanied by stepping out in action.  Grrrr.  

• Like 1

If you find a solution GN, let me know.

My Mum online shops. Dad gets angry because he can't understand where the money is going ( he still works as a farmhand ), yet there are packages coming in daily to the house which she hides away. Then she complains they can't afford the basics like food! She is doing my head in. Not to mention her squirrelling away money, so every couple of years she announces she's off to America for 6 weeks to some stupi Dr Quinn convention. This will be her third trip in 4 years, but too poor to feed her husband of 47 years. Grrrrrr

• Like 1

Wait! What............?

It's really hard to take on the role of being a parent to one's own parent. It's hard to accept that our elders need to be supervised, while being reminded by them that we are their children.

I'm grateful that my parents had sufficient resources and relatively good mental health right up to the end. My Mother in Law (92) is the last parent left and she willingly turned her finances over to her son and me about 10 years ago. Otherwise, she might have squandered all her savings. She's currently in assisted living and slowly fading away.

Anyone have advice for dealing with an aging parent who must make some tough choices financially (downsize her living space and reduce her spending)?

My mom's acting like a twelve year old, and refusing to accept that she's maxed out her credit cards, her phone is going to get shut off, she's not going to get any more colostomy bags if she doesn't pay the bill, and yet she still firmly believes God will take care of her. I love her faith but usually faith is accompanied by stepping out in action. Grrrr.

Unless there's dementia or something like that, in which case you need to step in NOW and take over, there's not much you can do......

Except.....

(Hesitates to say this but believes he must)

Ask her if her saying "God will provide " is her way of putting God to the test. Which is something Jesus Himself wouldn't do.

My mom's acting like a twelve year old, and refusing to accept that she's maxed out her credit cards, her phone is going to get shut off, she's not going to get any more colostomy bags if she doesn't pay the bill, and yet she still firmly believes God will take care of her.  I love her faith but usually faith is accompanied by stepping out in action.  Grrrr.  

I am in the same situation with my mom.  She has business with crippling debt that she is responsible for as sole proprietor.  The business debt aside, her personal finances are out of control  She is a total shopaholic and she is very generous with her money (ie hair/nails done weekly and then she tips 50%) and she is easily manipulated into all of the pledging and the donations (me:  $50 to the humane society for address label???  mom:  I have to give them money.  I can't just use the address labels without supporting them.  me:  it does not cost $50 to print labels.  try $2.  mom:  oh that's ridiculous!!).  

Anyway, my son helped her put toshl on her phone and I encouraged her to record every bit of spending she does this month, to be really honest about it and then next month try to see where she can cut back so that she is getting closer to living on her social security for the basics.  I need her to see that she can do all the basic things she needs to do, with modifications (ie - hair/nails every two-three weeks with 10% tip instead of weekly appts with the 50% tip) within a "real" budget - not off of fantasy $$ NOT coming from a business she'll soon be shutting down.  

I did manage to get her a library card and showed her how easy it is to get books for her kindle instead of purchasing books (like 2-3 a week) new from amazon.  I'm like - just be patient, you don't have to have it right when it comes out, it'll be okay.  and she was pretty excited about it.  but that's just one small step.

• Like 1

mom2sjm
Rock Gnome Rebel

Level 28

current challenge

Exactly that one. Her man cave is plastered in Joe Lando photos and paraphernalia, it's creepy.

I did like that show but.... *snicker*.  Okay, yeah that's a new one to me.  Flying to the US to attend a convention for that show.  Wow....

Update on my mom: my sister went and talked to her about her finances and things.  They went to HUD to ask about housing assistance, and they're going to go to Social Security to find out a few things there.  We're hoping she'll be willing to switch to my sister's doctor, who may be willing to evaluate my mom in terms of capabilities.  On a positive note, my sister did get a look at her finances, and it looks like Mom hasn't been doing alot of nonsense lately, so that's good.  She's still a horrible hoarder and her 2 bedroom apartment needs a thorough chucking.  That's my sister's project next week.  

Thanks for all the comments and commiserating!  

• Like 1

Yesterday I was thinking of how we are NF pioneers. No, really! Think about it:

We're the first generation of seniors who've embraced digital technology and incorporated it into our physical activities for healthy, active golden years. We all are in our mid-late 40's to mid-50's, and as far as I can tell, that's the oldest age group on Nerd Fitness. Which makes sense; the older ones among us are Boomer generation, who embraced digital technology as young adults, whereas our parents were already into middle age when personal computers and Internet and cell phones connected everyone in the world.

Combine that with our longer life expectancy and larger percentage of the population, and we get the opportunity to show younger nerds that you CAN be healthy and fit and active well into your 80's. We are cutting that trail for them now, as we share our fitness stories here, leaving a digital legacy that will hopefully encourage people that it's never too late to change your life and get off the couch.

Maybe I'm feeling a little sappy about you guys. But without your encouragement, I seriously doubt I'd have gotten this far.

sent from my tiny particle accelerator

• Like 4

We're the first generation of seniors who've embraced digital technology and incorporated it into our physical activities for healthy, active golden years. We all are in our mid-late 40's to mid-50's, and as far as I can tell, that's the oldest age group on Nerd Fitness. Which makes sense; the older ones among us are Boomer generation, who embraced digital technology as young adults, whereas our parents were already into middle age when personal computers and Internet and cell phones connected everyone in the world.

Combine that with our longer life expectancy and larger percentage of the population, and we get the opportunity to show younger nerds that you CAN be healthy and fit and active well into your 80's. We are cutting that trail for them now, as we share our fitness stories here, leaving a digital legacy that will hopefully encourage people that it's never too late to change your life and get off the couch.

Maybe I'm feeling a little sappy about you guys. But without your encouragement, I seriously doubt I'd have gotten this far.

sent from my tiny particle accelerator

Indeed.

In my case the generation gap was wider than most because my parents had me late in life (both turned 44 the year I was born).  I have a nephew (son of my oldest brother) who's six months younger than I am.  I was, quite literally, raise by people of my friend's grandparent's generation.

My mother was quite proud of the fact that she didn't even know where the "on" switch was on my first computer (a TRS-80 Model 3 I bought in college).  

Indeed.

In my case the generation gap was wider than most because my parents had me late in life (both turned 44 the year I was born).  I have a nephew (son of my oldest brother) who's six months younger than I am.  I was, quite literally, raise by people of my friend's grandparent's generation.

My mother was quite proud of the fact that she didn't even know where the "on" switch was on my first computer (a TRS-80 Model 3 I bought in college).  

My brother bought the Trash-80 with 4K Ram and the 16K expansion that I then bought from him. Oh those were the days :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aneralled the level 6 Hound Archon, Warrior-Druid 

STR 11|DEX 4|CON 8.5|STA 10.5|WIS 4.5|CHA 4.5

I am a Nerd Fitness Rebel,       I don’t compare myself to others,        I know I impact those around me 
  and today is the first day            only to myself from yesterday.            with my actions, and so I must 
  of the rest of my life.                I shall not brag about successes           move forward, every day. 
I shall make no excuses               nor complain about my struggles,    I acknowledge fear, doubt, and
  and hold no grudges.                 but share my experiences and           despair, but I do not let them
I care not where I came from,       help my fellow Rebels.                        defeat me. I pledge my life and
  only where I am going.                                                                              honor for the Rebellion, for 
                                                                                                                         this day and all the days to come. 

Right on!

Boomer here (1953) and I broke digital ground with Commodore 128. I know I have used technology to further my physical as well as mental fitness. I think I have found a home here at NF, finally.

I'm proud of my parents' willingness (eventually) to embrace computer technology in their later years.

Funny story:

It was 1995 and I had upgraded my desktop computer. I offered to set up my old one at my parents' house and show them how to use it. They both said no, they had no use for it. I set it up anyway. About 3 weeks later, when I was visiting them, my dad handed me a credit card and said, "Here, order us a new PC; this one is too slow." 

I believe they extended their lives and kept their minds sharp with help from technology.

• Like 1