Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Military Guys give grief just because...  if you're getting grief, its cause we like you :)

Well that's good to know. My general reaction to grief is to roll with it.

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

Well that's good to know. My general reaction to grief is to roll with it.

Give it back better than you get.  Then, they'll love you.

• Like 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

Give it back better than you get.  Then, they'll love you.

Got it, continue to be the sarcastic little shit that I naturally am.

• Like 2

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

Oh yeah...it does hit the spot after I've over indulged...much as I did last night before taking on my 12 hour night shift tonight

I just invest in coconut water and make judicious use of it while indulging.

Well, although I wouldn't go so far as to say you can't live without it, depending on what you're doing, sugar can be an extremely effective part of your training. The obvious scenario being for endurance athletes but even for people looking to build muscle sugar acts as a vehicle for shuttling protein to muscle cells.

That having been said, I try to avoid processed sugar except in certain specific instances (chocolate milk being my recovery drink of choice) and although the guy was probably a bone head, he may have had a point depending on the context.

You guys just kickstarted my memory of a trainer at my old gym telling a guy this "When you're squatting this heavy you don't need to be as critical of how deep you squat". The guy squatting was me, bastard had me doing power curtsies for months before I got smart, I'm only now back to the same weigth but actually going below parallel.

Yesterday a trainer doing internship at my current gym was giving his client nutritional advice bewteen sets. I had to bite my hand to keep from throwing the 2.5kg weight in my hand at his head. He was telling his client "You can't live without sugar when you train, a good gatorade is perfect".

just thought you might find this interesting. check rule 5 for sugar

http://www.jimstoppani.com/home/articles/10-rules-to-live-train-and-eat-by?preview

granted most the people in the gym with personal trainers are going to be following as strict and rigorous program as the ones Jim Stoppani uses, he still has some points

also Nubbins, chocolate milk may be my favorite thing on earth

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

Sugar does have a place, but that doesn't mean processed crap. If it's all about the sugar try fresh orange juice. Or like I do myself, eat the whole damn orange or a nice piece of dark chocolate (at least 70% cacao), or some honey. Anything that doesn't look like it might be radioactive.

I supose I should also have mentioned the guy was there for general fitness and weight loss. I think he woulda been better of with water.

Besides it's been proven that even elite athletes can perform at their best during ketosis, so saying you can't train without sugar is incorrect.

As far as hangovers and drinking goes, 29 and still hangover free. Every friend I got is waiting for the day I get one :D

• Like 1

Sugar does have a place, but that doesn't mean processed crap. If it's all about the sugar try fresh orange juice. Or like I do myself, eat the whole damn orange or a nice piece of dark chocolate (at least 70% cacao), or some honey. Anything that doesn't look like it might be radioactive.

I supose I should also have mentioned the guy was there for general fitness and weight loss. I think he woulda been better of with water.

Besides it's been proven that even elite athletes can perform at their best during ketosis, so saying you can't train without sugar is incorrect.

As far as hangovers and drinking goes, 29 and still hangover free. Every friend I got is waiting for the day I get one :D

i agree on the ketosis, i'm currently on it, but also understand his argument of looking forward to a gummy bear after a workout. i've not had a cheat meal/day in over a month and am fiending for some junk, i know my body will hate me when i give in and have it. 

i don't wish hangovers on anyone.... i still remember my worst one. it was accompanied by a 8 hour long trip home from Illinois. 

• Like 1

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

i agree on the ketosis, i'm currently on it, but also understand his argument of looking forward to a gummy bear after a workout. i've not had a cheat meal/day in over a month and am fiending for some junk, i know my body will hate me when i give in and have it. 

i don't wish hangovers on anyone.... i still remember my worst one. it was accompanied by a 8 hour long trip home from Illinois.

Do yourself a favor; NEVER go on an absynth bender. Sweet googly moogly the hangover. ...

• Like 2

Overheard a lovely little arguement at the gym, and I made me curious:

There are 3 guys working out together. One's on the bench about to bench press a decent weight.

Buddy 1- Do it to failure

Buddy 2- no, AMRAP

Buddy 1- to FAILURE

Buddy 2- AM-RAP

Buddy 1- FAILURE

Buddy 2- AS. MANY. REPS. AS. POSSIBLE.

Then they glared at each other for a bit as their friend on the bench did whatever it was he was planning on doing all along.

So can you guys tell me, is there a difference between AMRAP and to failure? Because to me it sounds like the same thing, and I want to know if these guys were about to throw down a fight over a communication failure.

• Like 1

Do yourself a favor; NEVER go on an absynth bender. Sweet googly moogly the hangover. ...

i've tried absynth a few times. never really hit me in a way that i wanted much more of it..... Jagermiester on the other hand....

• Like 1

Overheard a lovely little arguement at the gym, and I made me curious:

There are 3 guys working out together. One's on the bench about to bench press a decent weight.

Buddy 1- Do it to failure

Buddy 2- no, AMRAP

Buddy 1- to FAILURE

Buddy 2- AM-RAP

Buddy 1- FAILURE

Buddy 2- AS. MANY. REPS. AS. POSSIBLE.

Then they glared at each other for a bit as their friend on the bench did whatever it was he was planning on doing all along.

So can you guys tell me, is there a difference between AMRAP and to failure? Because to me it sounds like the same thing, and I want to know if these guys were about to throw down a fight over a communication failure.

To me, AMRAP has a time limit. Whereas failure would just be go until you fail.

• Like 2

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

i've tried absynth a few times. never really hit me in a way that i wanted much more of it..... Jagermiester on the other hand....

I'm not a fan of black licorise, at all, but this was one of those 'we're up in the woods and someone forgot to bring anything more palatable to drink' situations that occur. It was unpleasant.

• Like 1

To me, AMRAP has a time limit. Whereas failure would just be go until you fail.

Ah, that makes sense, thank you. So my next question is, why would bench press be AMRAP? I'd think it would be to failure, with good form. But that's just me.

Ah, that makes sense, thank you. So my next question is, why would bench press be AMRAP? I'd think it would be to failure, with good form. But that's just me.

Because you're not worried about form, you just want to be able to say "I got 100 reps in 1 minute, what now?"

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Usualy you do AMRAP within some time limit. However, in this case it sounds like they were doing what StudentBudget said, AMRAP being doing as many reps as possible and stopping once you don't think you manage another, but not actually failing any reps. To failure being actually going until the last rep is failed and you need to bail out on it.

• Like 2

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Usualy you do AMRAP within some time limit. However, in this case it sounds like they were doing what StudentBudget said, AMRAP being doing as many reps as possible and stopping once you don't think you manage another, but not actually failing any reps. To failure being actually going until the last rep is failed and you need to bail out on it.

So their arguement did make sense then, ok. It was a little weird to me because I wasn't aware of the differences between the two. Cool!