Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

... hey, as long as you didn't hog a power rack, I guess it's all good.

• Like 2

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

You wasted your own time by not combining the love making with some glute bridges. Next time!

Coulda done that position from Forgetting Sarah Marshall. You don't know.

edit: I wanted to post the gif, but don't feel right searching for it at work.

• Like 2

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

No, we made love right there on the shoulder press machine.

♪♫ I found love on the shoulder press machine

And lost it on the low pully cable crossover... ♫♪

• Like 2

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

Oversaw someone at the gym today using the power rack to lift dumbbells one at a time (lifting from his side to shoulder height). What makes it worse is that it is the only rack in the gym. He then moved on to use machines.

If you have a platform and know how to ditch the bar, it's actually better to squat outside the rack.

Or if you have a decent spotter.

Dumping the bar on the safeties is a great way to damage it. ;)

That said, I still don't know how to ditch a bar properly. My fails are pretty rare but horrible to watch because I just won't let go!

• Like 3

If you have a platform and know how to ditch the bar, it's actually better to squat outside the rack.

Or if you have a decent spotter.

Dumping the bar on the safeties is a great way to damage it. ;)

That said, I still don't know how to ditch a bar properly. My fails are pretty rare but horrible to watch because I just won't let go!

Timber!!??

• Like 1

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

More like "My bar, mine! NOT LETTING GO!" as I slowly sink to the ground.

I love that you named that video bugger. It just... it's a perfect summary because I swear I can hear the moment you said that inside your head.

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

What was said in my head (and out loud after I cut off the video) was a lot more explicit...

Fair enough....

I have quite a potty mouth. Fits in well with my training buddies.

I work out with military dudes, I can sympathize with your colourfully complex lexicon :P And then when you're around little kids, it's awfully funny to watch the terms you replace all the cussing with. I've personally found that saying BOG really forcefully helps replace all manner of cusses.

• Like 1

I work out with military dudes, I can sympathize with your colourfully complex lexicon :tongue: And then when you're around little kids, it's awfully funny to watch the terms you replace all the cussing with. I've personally found that saying BOG really forcefully helps replace all manner of cusses.

GINT used to be a favourite of mine. Meant "General INspection Template" but sounded rather rude.

I'm a nerd, so i just go with "frack" thanks to BSG

Funny, first time I recall that term was in Firefly, but nerd that I am I looked it up and found it was in the ORIGINAL BSG.  And I watched that show as a kid!

• Like 1

Funny, first time I recall that term was in Firefly, but nerd that I am I looked it up and found it was in the ORIGINAL BSG.  And I watched that show as a kid!

Interesting. I didn't watch the original BSG but i did watch Firefly and never noticed it there. They do say it a LOT in the new BSG though.

Must re-watch Firefly actually

Coincidentally this was my attire for the gym today:

what_the_frak_tshirt-r50b6977cdbdf4fb79c

• Like 4

Interesting. I didn't watch the original BSG but i did watch Firefly and never noticed it there. They do say it a LOT in the new BSG though.

Must re-watch Firefly actually

Coincidentally this was my attire for the gym today:

what_the_frak_tshirt-r50b6977cdbdf4fb79c

Very nice.

I tend to look like a slob at the gym.  Today was a very old green t-shirt with a pocket and beat up old sweatpants.  In fact the sweatpants were chosen because the pocket is torn inside, so I can clip my iPod to it, run the cord thru the hole and up inside my t-shirt because I HATE having my shirt untucked.  Sometimes I wear a Jameson Irish Whiskey t-shirt a bartender I know gave me, it says "Respect the Shot" on the back.  I always find it funny to wear that to the gym.

Protip for music, get some wireless headphones, I got mine like a month ago and it's made my training so much better now I don't have to prevent my phone falling out or worry about the wire being yanked out my ears midlift.

I wear what I think are running shirts, they were all gifts and I figure I don't have anything better to wear, though I do have some old t-shirts from my old days of being fat but I think they'd be too baggy to lift comfortably in. I've been thinking I might order some shirts off of broscience for the gym.

While on the subject of gym clothes, I've been wearing a pair of Nike running shoes (heel is thicker) for a while now but I've heard flat shoes are much better. Should I switch to converse for lifting, anyone? I've got a pair that I don't use very often and I've seen people using them and saying they're great.

• Like 2

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

Protip for music, get some wireless headphones, I got mine like a month ago and it's made my training so much better now I don't have to prevent my phone falling out or worry about the wire being yanked out my ears midlift.

I wear what I think are running shirts, they were all gifts and I figure I don't have anything better to wear, though I do have some old t-shirts from my old days of being fat but I think they'd be too baggy to lift comfortably in. I've been thinking I might order some shirts off of broscience for the gym.

While on the subject of gym clothes, I've been wearing a pair of Nike running shoes (heel is thicker) for a while now but I've heard flat shoes are much better. Should I switch to converse for lifting, anyone? I've got a pair that I don't use very often and I've seen people using them and saying they're great.

I wear Chuck Taylors (aka Converse All-Stars) and like them.  They're flat, the soles are grippy, and the soles aren't squishy.  My feet are flat as pancakes too, so I tend to avoid arch supports in shoes or remove them if possible.

• Like 2

You always want the most stable platform for lifting heavy weights. This prevents wasted energy into the sole of the shoe and more importantly helps prevent injuries from having a rolled ankle or such.

As for chucks, they're pretty good for some. I have wide feet, so they don't work out so good for me as the sole isn't wide enough. Despite what people say, they do compress slightly, but much less than any running shoe.

My go to shoe right now is the Crossfit lite TR. It's like a Chuck meant for powerlifting, instead of playing basketball in the 1950s. 

But if you've got the chucks, give them a try with your lifts.

• Like 1

Pinterest: Alex's Paleo Wins - Recipes on Pinterest              Instagram: alexcold23             MFP: dalex916

Do you change when it comes to cardio or just keep using them?

What is this cardio of which you speak????

:orange:

From what I've read on the subject of weight lifting shoes, some people advocate Chucks or something similar (Mehdi of Stronglifts fame for instance), some advocate weight lifting shoes with a heel (Mark Rippetoe for instance).  Seems to be a matter of personal preference.  I wear the Chucks because I'm cheap and so are they, and at my level they do everything I need them to do.  

The big problem with lifting in running shoes is that the soles are squishy, and therefore unstable.  Chucks are softer than actual weightlifting shoes.  Some people lift in just socks too, or in Vibrams or other minimalist shoes.

• Like 3

Do you change when it comes to cardio or just keep using them?

I do,  I like the minimalist shoes for my running, but as they have a negative heel drop, they aren't the best squats/DLs.  

Now, if you tell anyone that I run, I will deny it like a 7yo when confronted about the missing cookies.

• Like 2

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr