Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

I never ever hear what people are saying at the gym because my music is on LOUD. I don't want to hear. Being the sole fat kid at the rack means that I have to focus on myself and not on other people otherwise I'm not paying attention to what my body's doing and my workout suffers. That said, sometimes, despite the loud music, I still hear the Dude Bro Grunt.

And as a lady who works out after work, and thus with makeup on, I'm with you on not caring. Do we not go to the gym for ourselves and NOT for other people? ;)

‎"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." ~Bruce Lee

I have seen many people, mostly women, that goes to maybe 10 different machines and with a very light weight do one set of maybe 15. then they do their cardio

That's what I was told to do by the "trainer" when I asked him to show me around. And I did told him that what I wanted was strength and strength only. No need to say, I have my own program at the gym, thanks to NF :)

• Like 1

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

I have my own, NF based program too. I incorporate some of what my trainer says, but for the most part, it's all me. When I want to do new things though, I find it useful to have a trained eye watching my form. That's always helpful.

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

"There is nothing romantic about internal rotation!"

-A co-owner of my gym on someone else remarking how cute it is that both he and his girlfriend have the problem of their knees tracking inwards on heavy squats.

Maybe this doesn't fit the theme of the thread but it was still something awesome I overheard in the gym.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

That's what I was told to do by the "trainer" when I asked him to show me around. And I did told him that what I wanted was strength and strength only. No need to say, I have my own program at the gym, thanks to NF :)

As I've read more of what jdanger, chairokay, and other elite lifters/trainers say, this actually makes sense from the point of view of the trainer. Most people equate muscle size with strength and soreness with having worked "hard". Low weights and high reps will get you both, for a while... It makes the new client "feel" like he is getting somewhere, even though it is probably not what he really needs. And it is definitely what the trainer wants, because the client sees "results" (ie, bigger muscles and soreness) right away.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I walked into the gym a few months back to run on the treadmill and there was this dude on the elliptical machine wearing a gas mask. Now I can think of several reasons why this is a totally legit idea (preparing for high altitudes...or the apocalypse); it just wasn't what I expected to see. The entire time I was running I could hear him behind me breathing like Darth Vader.

In hindsight it was kind of awesome. :D

It was probably an Elevation Training Mask http://trainingmask.com/pages/About.html

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nocturnis, Level 1 Half Elf Ranger

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 3|CHA 3

[/TABLE]

it finally happened... guy waits for about 10 mins to use the squat rack after me... for behind the back wrist curls with an empty olympic bar (despite the numerous bars on the 5 benches, the spare one for deadlifts etc and the 2 straight short bars) and the joker goes and does leg press straight after... eh wah? i really wanna see this guys 'plan'

I plan on getting an elevation mask and I am planning on being harassed by the cops here. I have been harassed a couple times just walking wearing normal clothing. However normal clothing for me is a kilt when its hot and a long black duster when its cold.

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nocturnis, Level 1 Half Elf Ranger

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 3|CHA 3

[/TABLE]
I remember reading about that one on Runner's World. First I thought of with regards to "elevation mask" was

bane-tom.jpg

I may have to buy that mask specifically for working out. The hell with Halloween. Lol

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

Today I saw this old, skinny asian guy doing some strange "push up" that involved more pelvic movement than arm movement...

Level 3 Timelord Ranger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR: 10 | DEX: 7 | STA: 11.5 | CON: 6.5 | WIS: 5.75 | CHA: 2.25

Challenge

1 2 3

"The thing is, Adam, time travel is like visiting Paris. You can't just read the guide book. You've got to throw yourself in, eat the food, use the wrong verbs, get charged double and end up kissing complete strangers - or is that just me? Stop asking questions. Go and do it!"

"Don't ever judge me by your standards."

no headphones+multiple minute rest periods= oh hai, other people.

Been meaning to come back to this. Laura I'm not sure if I hate you (for the hit to my workout intensity) or you're my hero. I've started people watching a bit at my gym between sets...and it's hilarious.

IDDQD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current Challenge

Race: MALIETOA

Class: WARRIOR

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

Been meaning to come back to this. Laura I'm not sure if I hate you (for the hit to my workout intensity) or you're my hero. I've started people watching a bit at my gym between sets...and it's hilarious.

Ha! I meant to come back to it, too, actually. I bought some new headphones and laugh when I think of all the hilarious/soul crushing conversations I'm missing when I pop them in.

I think hero. Constant comic relief is good for recovery. I read that on the internetz. :)

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I plan on getting an elevation mask and I am planning on being harassed by the cops here. I have been harassed a couple times just walking wearing normal clothing. However normal clothing for me is a kilt when its hot and a long black duster when its cold.

Not to try to dissuade you...but if you really want the benefit of the elevation training and not just the asthetics of the mask, then I wouldn't recommend the mask. You can't replicate elevation training simply by restricting air flow. Also, altitude training has not been proven to increase VO2 max. Aerobic and Anaerobic fitness are unaffected by both the elevation training mask and Altitude training. The mask CAN increase lung strength and capacity and help with breath control....but so can a wet rag over your mouth, stacked breathing exercises or a cheap painters mask. So if the effect is your focus, I would save your money and try something else. If the asthetic is your focus...it looks pretty bad-ass!! But then again so does a real gas mask...and it has more function. Just my .02$

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

JakSavage

Level 2 Half-Dragon Ranger

STR:6 DEX:5 STA:5 CON:3 WIS:4 CHA:3

All your specs are belong to us!

Yesterday I saw a guy power-clean a bar right into his mouth. :)

Alas, it was me. Don't watch the bar coming up, guys, that way leads to fail and the dark side.

Was about to say "so you go to my gym huh?" I took one in the jaw and one across the throat before I got the hang them. Lots of fun once I got past that though.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf