Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Not to nerd out too much... those 10mm are a 3.4x increase in the area moment of inertia of a circular cross section, which means 3.4x lower max deflection when the bar is loaded. 

Thank you! I was going to go in the same direction, but mine was more along the lines of "Of course is doesn't fucking flex, it's 35% thicker" and not worry about the actual moment of inertia jazz (ME here). You response is better.

But on the original argument, given the assumed standard geometry bar, the extra delfection on some bars is due to different material properties of different alloys used. Most of the time it's due to it being a cheap bar and shit alloy, other times it's an olympic lifting bar with an alloy selected specifically to give more delfection and a certain (whip) characteristic coming out of the bounce for jerking and snatching, where you want the bar to bounce a bit so that you can time coming out fo the squat with it to assist in completion of the lift (or something like that, I don't Oly yet).

• Like 2

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Saw this earlier. Was very disappointed in Gaston's ROM. He's an awesome actor though, the little girl video from a few weeks back was great.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Saw this earlier. Was very disappointed in Gaston's ROM. He's an awesome actor though, the little girl video from a few weeks back was great.

It does fit his character though, he is kind of a dick and I could see him half-repping to try and get a "win"... hell he told the girl to get back in the kitchen and make him a sandwich. :-)

• Like 3

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

It does fit his character though, he is kind of a dick and I could see him half-repping to try and get a "win"... hell he told the girl to get back in the kitchen and make him a sandwich. :-)

in a wrestling match nobody bites like Gaston

• Like 1

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

Did you read the comments of people freaking out about that? He's playing a character people, a character Disney depicts as being a dick and getting what's coming to him because he's a dick.

Gaston is the best. If you ever go to the Magic Kingdom you have to meet him. I've messed with him a few times while he tries to hit on my wife and he always has some really good comebacks prepared.

I really can't wait to go in a few years when the baby gets older. I'm notorious in my friend group for having the Barney Stinson view of Gaston, the misunderstood hero who was spurned by his one true love, and was only trying to win her affections by slaying the magial beast in the dark castle who had ensorcelled her.

• Like 6

500 / 330 / 625

Did you read the comments of people freaking out about that? He's playing a character people, a character Disney depicts as being a dick and getting what's coming to him because he's a dick.

Yeah... people are too sensitive these days...

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

I really can't wait to go in a few years when the baby gets older. I'm notorious in my friend group for having the Barney Stinson view of Gaston, the misunderstood hero who was spurned by his one true love, and was only trying to win her affections by slaying the magial beast in the dark castle who had ensorcelled her.

I keep trying to convince my daughter that Prince Hans is the true hero of Frozen. Without him, Anna would not have gotten engaged and argued with her sister who then took off and propelled the movie forward. The movie just would have had no plot. This makes my daughter very mad.

Also, bonus points for using the term "ensorcelled."

• Like 2

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

No idea what that means, sorry

Affliction is an MMA brand, so you have a bunch of guys running around wearing Affliction shirts, who've never even seen the inside of a gym, just so they can feel like they're a "badass MMA fighter" because hey... I got the shirt. :-)

My first challenge

To get [and wear] an M-Dot shirt, you gotta at least finish one [even a 70.3 will do]

I sure you could just buy one, but that is such bad form

So, it's like poseurs who think they're Punk because they bought a Ramones shirt at Walmart, but barely know the words to "I Wanna Be Sedated" [let alone "Blitzkrieg Bop" or "Sheena is a Punk Rocker"

Exactly... :-)

My first challenge

Read my post again, CAREFULLY, and you'll get it

I didn't get it first time. Had to scroll back to have a look, and still didn't get it. Then I read the last line again - nearly died laughing!

Priceless! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

http://www.cracked.com/video_18619_4-disney-movie-villains-who-were-right-all-along.html

• Like 1

I have been a while now - I don't need a t-shirt to advertise it. :P

Or, you know, I advertise it in a t-shirt.  Something like that.

Locker room adventures:

Girl 1: "Ugh, I've been doing cardio every day for like two weeks and I'm not seeing any results.  I think I probably have some genetic thing that makes it impossible for me to lose weight, maybe I shouldn't bother."

Girl 2: "Yeah, that's really common, I know what you mean......."

Shortest New Year's resolution ever?

• Like 7

?current challenge?

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire