Need Help Quitting Smoking!

Okay, I made it five days the last time I attempted to "quit". Why do I put that in quotations? Because even though I quit cigarrettes, I convinced myself smoking from my hookah didn't count. (Oh the nicotine-addled mind!). The beginning of this year, I actually made it two and a half months without smoking cigarrettes while only smoking hookah once every two weeks but as soon as my birthday hit, I told myself I deserved one smoke for my hard efforts. The next morning, after bumming about ten cigarrettes from my roommate, I bought a pack. And then another. And so on until recently. But the only reason I went five days this time is because I had no extra money for cigarrettes and, since I'm living at home at the moment, I am not around anyone who smokes. As soon as I had money in my back account, I was at the gas station seeking the bittersweet buzz that only Camel can give me.

But its time to quit.

So I'm asking for your help, fellow nerd fitness readers! Does anyone have tips/experiences they wouldn't mind sharing on quitting smoking?

Kirby

Half-Elf Adventurer

STR-2 DEX-3 STA-2 CON-2 WIS-3 CHA-3

"Men do less than they ought, unless they do all they can."- Thomas Carlyle

Current Challenge: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?13750-Kirby-Half-Elf-reporting-for-duty&p=200860#post200860

3 years quit. Had been smoking 11 years. Was a pack a day at the end there:/

Keep yourself from stressors (drinking, social times, negative people) in the beginning. Set a goal, fitness-wise that you couldn't do before. I ran my first 5k 6 months after quitting, and I couldn't run a half mile before without my lungs feeling on fire!

I did use Chantix and it was my crutch. It's definitely not for everyone (people prone to depression, high suicide risk).

You and you only know when you're ready to actually quit.

just keep on trucking...

Some say quit cold turkey. Some say slow down and quit by reducing them over the time.

Third approach is: smoke until you puke, and then some. Get so sick from nicotine poisoning that the idea of tobacco becomes repulsive.

Try calculating how much money do you spend on smokes, and then decide to invest that money in something better. Like Belgian beers, fancy chocolate, trip savings account, ...

STR: 2 / DEX: 2 / STA: 3 / CON: 2 / WIS: 3 / CHA: 3

PanHEMAphiliac.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Stressors are definitely an issue. Especially concerning finances (ironic, since smoking adds to that particular stress). I think I'm going to dabble with the idea of doing a few sprints and/or jumping jacks/push-ups every time I get the urge to light up. I figure I fight off cravings while getting stronger. Double-win!

I like the investing suggestion, Mordechaj. I have, for the past three years, dreamt of traveling to Costa Rica. Not sure why there, but its been a dream. Maybe I should start setting aside "cigarrette money" for Costa Rica. Summer 2013? Maybe :)

Kirby

Half-Elf Adventurer

Current Challenge: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?13750-Kirby-Half-Elf-reporting-for-duty&p=200860#post200860

3 years quit. Had been smoking 11 years. Was a pack a day at the end there:/

Keep yourself from stressors (drinking, social times, negative people) in the beginning. Set a goal, fitness-wise that you couldn't do before. I ran my first 5k 6 months after quitting, and I couldn't run a half mile before without my lungs feeling on fire!

I did use Chantix and it was my crutch. It's definitely not for everyone (people prone to depression, high suicide risk).

Solid post. Bolding emphasis mine - that's the biggest thing. You really need to have a "non-smoker" mentality to be successful. Check out this LeanGains post on the marshmallow test - if you sit around all day thinking about cigarettes, eventually you are going to crack. Stay away from things you associate with smoking for a while (for me, it was golfing and poker). For things you can't avoid (like the post-meal smoke), replace the habit with something else. Every time you finish a meal, walk a mile. Or do 20 pushups. Or check baseball scores on espn.com. Anything really, but make it consistent. If you just try to take away the post-meal smoke in a vacuum, you're apt to fail the marshmallow test - you're better off replacing it with something. Setting fitness goals is huge too - if you commit yourself to a race (for example), you'll think twice about lighting up knowing that it is in direct contrast to a goal you are working so hard for.

Edit to add: this is cliche, but also remember that breaking down and smoking a cigarette doesn't shouldn't derail your efforts.* When I quit, I had gone months without a smoke when I finally took to the golf course again. Broke down, smoked a bunch. I reminded myself that those months were not lost, and haven't had a smoke since.

*As long as you don't use "this is not going to derail my efforts" as an excuse to light one up. ;)

Talking about it is a great step. I just passed my 5 month mark. I had quit a few years ago cold turkey and lasted a few years before a life event sent me back. I knew I shouldn't be smoking but I just wasn't committed to the idea yet. I have found that unless you 100% want it, you won't be successful. For me, I had had a holiday party at my apartment the night before, and so on sunday I was so relaxed and comfy on the couch from cleaning, when I realized I was out of cigarettes. I looked inside myself and said if you get up from this comfortable state just to go get cigarettes, that is it!!" and so I refused and made it through the night. I woke up and said "let's see if I can make it through today" and the same thing the next day and the next. I didn't really tell anyone until about 1.5 weeks. Then I made sure I told everyone. For me, I ate tick tacs or candy canes (this was pre weight loss program) whenever I had the urge. After a few weeks, the urges and cravings were less and less. I then started the fitness program and really saw the impact the smoking had had on my body, and that was a great motivation factor to stay quit. Be very proud of every single day you make it through!

I quit my last challenge around and still doing very well. The best thing to do though is to avoid any situation where you will rationalize and for me that is when I drink so i have had to kind of stop doing that too until the two separate in my mind...best of luck!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

My BFF informed me 3 days ago we are quitting. I know I SHOULD... but like Steve said "should" is the key word. BFF says i should take the cash I am about to spend and put it into a special pocket so we can by tiny cute skinny clothes in a few months. Haven't started yet cuz , and yes I know this is an excuse, I worked a REALLY long weekend.

Keep us posted on your success, maybe we can be quitter buddies...

*** please place your autograph on the line _____ ; so I can sell it on EBAY when you are famous ***

I quite almost exactly 2 years ago. I timed it so that I would be quitting right before I went on a vacation to visit a friend who didn't smoke, and I knew I wouldn't be around smokers for about 10 weeks. I also initially put the money into a little fun account so I could get myself something I wouldn't have been able to afford later (got myself the nicest purse, and then that helped, b/c I didn't want my awesome purse to smell like smoke). Finally, I told myself initially that it was just to "see" like a temporary thing for the summer, and then I could change my mind, or be one of those people who just have one sometimes - but by the time I got through the summer I didn't ever want to risk what I'd accomplished, and so I haven't had one since - nor have I really wanted one. :)

Good luck, keep at it!

Halfling Female Ranger

STR - 4 ~ DEX - 3 ~ STA - 5 ~ CON - 2 ~ WIS - 3 ~ CHA - 2

Read this and then this. I packed in using these over five years ago and couldn't believe how easy it was. Someone else recommended reading both books as they struggled having only read the first then really nailed it having read the second one.

Good luck!

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

MrParsnip the level 0 Fremen
Current challenge

When my husband was thinking about quitting, he got the advice to write down when (day/time and what he was doing) and why he smoked each cigarette. He saw some patterns he wasn't expecting, like that he smokes whenever he finishes something. So, presumably, that data could be interpreted and an action plan could be made from it, patterns of thought that needed to be changed could be identified, etc, but the person who gave him that advice forgot to mention that part. :P

(Edited so the words go in an order that means what I meant.)

Liz Oh

Suburban Ninja

NF Intro

Twitter: @earthliz

Pinterest: I particularly like to identify #fitspo and #thinspo that has been photoshopped.

YouTube: Comics and Civics

Sorry for all the italics. And, I bolded for tl:dr

Totally. I would add you have to really, really want to quit, too.

I quit almost four years ago. When I was 25 I told myself that I was going to stop smoking the day after my 30th birthday. As those five years dwindled away I thought more and more about it. The last year I told myself I better enjoy the heck out of each cigarette, because I was on my last smokes ever. As the last months came up I told myself I really, really had to quit smoking even though I didn't want to because if I didn't, I would have been lying to myself for the last 4 1/2 years. . I created a Facebook event for it so that I was accountable. Then on my birthday I smoked as many cigarettes as I could because when I woke up the next day, smoking would not be an option for me anymore. Sometimes I wanted to, but I just told myself "I don't do that anymore." And that worked, because really, there is no good reason TO smoke.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.â€

-Thomas Edison

"I'm only at about 35-40%, and I'm surprised as eff."

-unicornassssin

Fitocracy!

[thread=16121]My Challenge Thread[/thread]

I too am working on quitting. I am running my first marathon in October and although I can smoke and run a half just fine...I know I won't be able to last on the longer miles. My original goal was to quit by Labor Day, then it became by July 1st and now it's by the end of the month. I have scaled back considerably to start to ween myself off the habit and nicotine. I couldn't believe how many times a day I was smoking until I actually started to keep track of when and why I was smoking.

I agree with some other posters that you have to want to quit otherwise it will be too easy to fall back into old habits. For me, signing up for a marathon is the ultimate reason to quit...running a good time is WAY more important to me than having another smoke. So maybe finding a goal that works for you will help you to stay on track? I definitely wish you luck...I wish it wasn't so hard, but it is.

When my husband was thinking about quitting, he got the advice to write down when (day/time and what he was doing) and why he smoked each cigarette. He saw some patterns he wasn't expecting, like that he smokes whenever he finishes something. So, presumably, that data could be interpreted and an action plan could be made from it, patterns of thought that needed to be changed could be identified, etc, but the person who gave him that advice forgot to mention that part. :P

(Edited so the words go in an order that means what I meant.)

Oh, I forgot about this. This was really important. I realized that I only smoked in the car, when out with friends, when I needed a break from work (like couldn't keep thinking, stress at the job, etc.) and by far the hardest one to stop was the last one. In the car I just stopped doing. Made it not an option. Out with friends, I told them I was quitting and not to let me smoke, no matter what, and they obliged, even though they still smoke. But I initially found the times where I needed a mental break SO FRUSTRATING without cigarettes. I eventually found other things to do during that time (crossword puzzles, short games on my phone, taking a walk sans cigarette, etc) but that was important to add.

Halfling Female Ranger

STR - 4 ~ DEX - 3 ~ STA - 5 ~ CON - 2 ~ WIS - 3 ~ CHA - 2

I quit smoking three and a half years ago after having smoked for 8 years. What helped for me was reading Allen Carrs: Easyway. That changed my mindset from a smoker to a non smoker. I read the book back to back in one day and threw away al the remaining smokes, lighters ash-trays and everything else part of smoking because I was sure that I would quit and never smoke again.

What also helped was starting to run and have fitness goal to replace the unhealthy habit.

Good luck!

quitting smoking is the easiest thing i've done. matter of fact, i do it like, twice a week.

seriously, it's hard. i'll go a few weeks without a cigarrette, and then i'll have one or two in some social situation or something, and i hate myself for doing it. good luck.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Urban Scout

STR - 6 DEX - 6 STA - 11 CON - 2 WIS - 4 CHA - 6

My Epic Quest: http://tinyurl.com/7ey2ylw

Most Recent Mission: Visit Chichen Itza (Completed 11/18/12)

I am currently: Level 3 (0% to Level 4)

I cut down in small doses. I was in a place where I wasn't allowed to smoke, I didn't crave it. So I basically defined more and more places in my life as non smoking over time.

Plus also it helps having a health scare, and knowing some one personally that has lost 50% of their lungs to being a smoker. I so don't want to be like her.

Maybe try volunteering a old folks home and get to know the long term smokers to see the ravages of smoking first hand?

You guys are all awesome! Thank you for the support :)

I talked with my girlfriend about it at length and, while she's not a smoker, she has been trying to break other unhealthy habits in her life as well. So we decided to set a quit date for both of us. On June 1st, I'm giving up cigarettes and she's giving up fast food.

LizOh, I like the idea of a smoke journal. I'd be interested to see what kind of pattern I have! I've never really thought about it. I have about two weeks until June 1st, so in the next two weeks, I will keep a smoke journal.

pixieopower, I will definitely be your quitter buddy! I will need all the help I can get :)

Kirby

Half-Elf Adventurer