Every Rebellion Needs a Redhead

Hello everyone, I'm Patricia.

I'm 22, in my junior year of university in SE Michigan. I work administratively 40+ hours/week, go to school full-time, hold two part time jobs, and work out at the gym 3x/week.

I'm following my dream of becoming a travel writer at http://insearchofmermaids.com - I'm working on building up strength and endurance so I can explore the world with an energetic and vivacious spirit :)

Sexy Stats:

5'6''

145 lbs

23% body fat

36.5'' hips (news to me)

My goals are to run 5 miles without stopping, and train with 30 lbs dumbbells.

I'm glad to join the Rebellion with you today! :)

~ Patricia

P.S. Aside from the excellent writing style, Steve had me hooked on Nerd Fitness at "Favorite game: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time"

Redhead: check. Implied writing skills: check. Wants to train with weights: check. Ok, you're in! Welcome. :D

I read a study once that said doing ANYTHING in the gym is more anabolic than doing NOTHING sitting in front of the computer.

~Chris Shugart @ T-nation

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it: through forging, it becomes steel and is

transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

* Robb Wolf Podcast #68- Matt Lalonde vs gluten (<-transcript)

*Documentary: Fat Head

*NF blog:Most Inspirational 20 Minutes

*Starting Strength Wiki

Hiya, welcome! An oldschool zelda fan, eh? I like you already. I'm a final fantasy ADDICT but love all old games.

So tell me... do you sleep? Speaking as one who works 1 fulltime job and 1 parttime job and works out daily... Wow.

Hey, I have a 5k goal too! I hit it in the fall and then broke my foot. Arg! I will beat you, goal!

Be sure to join our challenge! I assume you're going to do the Couch to 5k plan, or something else?

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :)

@Alethea, I love Final Fantasy as well! I tried to go back in the series and play VII, but the graphics/controls were so blocky it was hard to get into. The storyline makes up for it though, I know. I actually do sleep...a little haha. I'm sure you know how it feels to be constantly running around, but you work out daily? That's impressive. Hope your foot has heeled up! Can you tell me more about the Couch to 5K plan?

@CapN_Tommy_Sunshine, Another Michigander! Hurrah! Our numbers are growing...

@Plex, When I'm at the gym, my latest routine is to run/jog 2 miles then use 15 lb dumbbells to do shoulder front and lateral raises. When I get to my office at work, before coworkers come in, I do one circuit of the "Beginner Body Weight Routine." As far as diet, I eat whole grains, fruit, vegetables, drink lots of water.... I don't follow a particular "diet plan," I just eat what common sense deems as healthy. Being so busy, if I'm hungry and those types of foods are not available, I eat whatever I can get my hands on in order to survive.

http://www.c25k.com/

Yeah, the controls are rough but the storylines and characters can't be beat in FF. They lost me as soon as the characters got actual voices though. Titus, you are whiny and annoying.

The daily thing is less impressive when you learn it's just for 30 minutes or so. I find daily exercise keeps me motivated, when rest days have me lazing about and eating bad foods. I don't understand it, but I go with it!

Out of curiosity, why do you do shoulder raises in particular as your only "weights" exercise?

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

Thanks for the link! Working out everyday for a half hour is still significant. It keeps your momentum going, which is so important. Once you stop, it's hard to start up again.

I only do shoulder raises because I just recently (last two weeks) got the gumption to infiltrate the weight area of the gym where all the intimidating, meaty guys work out. I didn't know what to do in there, so I found the first dumbbell exercise on the "How-To Videos" of Nerd Fitness and did them. I'd like to do more, but am unsure where to start. What do you suggest?

Well, there's the rebel strength guide. Or starting strength, you can find the wiki online or buy the book from amazon.

Rebel strength is supposed to (I haven't read it) have both a free-weight (dumbells) and a barbell guide.

Starting strength focuses on the deadlift, squat, and press. Three of the hallmark movements for building strength.

There's a couple interesting articles about the state of fitness that are worth a read:

http://www.mensjournal.com/everything-you-know-about-fitness-is-a-lie/

http://reversemagazine.blogspot.com/2011/02/woman-are-wrong-about-fat-loss-and.html

I know the first one got to me, so I'm planning on picking up a weight set and doing deadlifts soon...with the addition of squats the second I can afford a power cage.

www.stronglifts.com has a great program for beginners, if you want to lift weights. It has all your necessary strength movements like deadlifting, squatting, etc, without being confusing or overwhelming or taking forever to do. Just watch the videos to make sure you know what to do.

- Seneca, 63 AD

haha, Gowaduv..I second your thoughts on our new Redhead. Trust me, anyone who can write themselves out of a paper bag gets my respect; simply because I'm not capable of such ability. Plus, she likes storyline games, double bonus. Anywho Patricia, welcome aboard, and my thoughts are, don't fret about not knowing. There is such a cool collective mind here that if they haven't thought of it, it's just because it's your unique contribution to the collective.

Anyway, good luck, let us always know how we can encourage, help, or on bad days laugh about the fact that you're a Loper (originally from far Northern Indiana myself, but in NE as punishment for being left-handed...or was it for not being a Red Sox fan first..who knows). Just always let us know what we can do to help.