Forums are back in action! ×

Citius, Altius, Fortius - Olympics!

andygates

I can't watch the biathlon anymore cuz all I can think of is this video and I start laughing.

Well, there goes my watching of the biathlon as well.

I'm a huge Olympics fan. Sadly right now I don't have DVR because I'm between moves, so I'll have to watch reruns on the ent and catch what I can on tv. Was watching the women's gymnastics trials on Sunday night, those girls throw their bodies around in scary ways.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Agreed. And as I recall, Dutch teams have been pretty good at baseball recently. But yes, I'm disappointed that the Olympics isn't fielding baseball this time around.

EDIT: Now I see that the Netherlands holds the most gold medals (by far) from the European Baseball Championship.

They do?! Wow well they should be getting more attention then!!!! ;w;

The sports news simply doesn't cover it!!

It's either soccer, swimming or cycling!

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

Nifty news: Pistorius, the dude with the carbon-spring blade prosthetics, has been selected for his 4x400m team in the regular Games. http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/oscar-pistorius-to-become-first-amputee-to-compete-in-the-olympics-7912078.html

If they do well I imagine other countries may bitch about this.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Nifty news: Pistorius, the dude with the carbon-spring blade prosthetics, has been selected for his 4x400m team in the regular Games. http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/oscar-pistorius-to-become-first-amputee-to-compete-in-the-olympics-7912078.html

I'm such a fan of his!!! I'm thrilled for him.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Is there any way you can watch the games online somewhere? I'm not looking for "highlights" as I mostly want to watch dressage, and that's not exactly highly televised. Except maybe on the Colbert Report. I'm looking forward to gymnastics as well, but I'm not huge on televised sports in general. I enjoy watching dressage because I can learn from it, and I liked watching eventing with my dad because it was fun to watch him cringe... and I could usually talk him into buying me new safety equipment afterwards!

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

dressage is fun to watch actually. I went to the gold medal round in Hong Kong last olympics. It was great!!!

I love Colbert's dressage bits. Hilarious.

Don't know about watching online. My guess is NBC has coverage control.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

If they do well I imagine other countries may bitch about this.

Done already: They bitched in 2008, he was prevented from racing, he appealed, he won.

His own line on the performance of blades makes me smile: If other athletes think they would get an advantage, they're welcome to cut their feet off.

I'm just sitting here upset that baseball has been discontinued. Like the only time Dutch tv would air baseball!!!

Did I mention I like baseball??? But seriously 2008 I was totally watching baseball whenever it was on and I could watch!!

So not that excited about this time around. I'll probably only catch something here and there or nothing at all.

Only thing is maybe handball, something I used to play when I was younger.

I'll be in London either way! Because I'll be going on the Harry Potter tour... and when we were getting to booking and all it was like... oh... yeah... olympics.

But it's just a weekend and apparently we'll be avoiding traffic mostly anyway.

Europe couldn't compete so the IOC deemed baseball to not be an international enough sport. Nevermind that all of North America, East Asia and a lot of Oceania play (well enough to have multiple players in the US Major Leagues).

Done already: They bitched in 2008, he was prevented from racing, he appealed, he won.

His own line on the performance of blades makes me smile: If other athletes think they would get an advantage, they're welcome to cut their feet off.

LoL! That's great.

500 / 330 / 625

I absolutely love the Olympics!! The only thing that makes me sad about them is that we are moving right as they are going on, and we aren't having cable at our new place, so my usual "watch the Olympics all day every day, every event, no matter how obscure" tradition will take a bit of a hit. Also my tradition of the "Olympic all-nighter" (pick at least one night to stay up all night and watch the best events live) will have to change as well. I'm just going to hope that I can watch the Games online. Where we are moving to has like 6 pubs in a short walking distance, so I will be frequenting those as well for some social patriotism :) Rowing is probably my favorite summer Olympic sport to watch, in no small part because we Canadians always do VERY well :) Go Canada!

The Road Goes Ever On And On

You can watch stuff happen, MAKE stuff happen, or wonder what the heck happened

Auntie Beeb! The BBC should be carrying everything, and hopefully won't have silly region-locking. If they do, nerd up and get a UK IP address via a proxy. http://www.bbc.co.uk/2012/

Fantastic! Thank you! This was going to be the first time in years that I was slightly regretting our decision to cut cable tv out of our lives and budget!

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

I like the beach volleyball (but that may be because of the Canadian commentators, that are hilarious), the diving, the fencing (not that they ever show it), swimming, ok, all of it, I just love the olympics. I prefer winter, but summer will do in a pinch...

too bad it will be too hot for my Canamitts.. I may crack them out anyway.

XFD, I should have seen that coming... the men's just doesn't have the same draw as the women's....

Oh, I don't know. There is enough eye candy for me in the men's tournament :) And yes, the Canadian commentators are hilarious!

[farnsworth]

Terrible news, everybody! If the current spell of record-breaking wet weather continues (and it's a jetstream event, they take months to play out) the beach volleyball may be played in normal sporting attire.

The London press are in a state of despond. The feminist press are laughing it up.

[/farnsworth]

[farnsworth]

Terrible news, everybody! If the current spell of record-breaking wet weather continues (and it's a jetstream event, they take months to play out) the beach volleyball may be played in normal sporting attire.

The London press are in a state of despond. The feminist press are laughing it up.

[/farnsworth]

Oh no!! Oh wait, I don't care about the attire at the women's tournament. But if the men also have to be fully clothed, well then....

[Farnsworth]

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

[/Farnsworth]

I thought the opening ceremonies were pretty cool. I liked Bond and the Queen. Great music throughout. Beijing was super serious and self-important, but I liked London's ability to put on some good humor!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

We were out partying, so I missed it for the most part except for what we saw on the small tvs at the bar. We did start a USA chant when they walked out though.

500 / 330 / 625

Archived