Forums are back in action! ×

Time to see what this place is all about.

I'll start out by saying that I'm not a fitness noob, but I am a noob to these forums, so hello! I'll also make note that it's entirely Staci's fault I'm posting here. :tongue: She talks about this place all the time (all good things!), so I figured it was about time I checked it out.

Here's the short version of my story. I've been doing CrossFit for about a year and a half now. Most recently I had the honor of competing alongside Staci and 4 other equally fantastic athletes to represent our gym at the 2012 Northeast Regionals. We came in 23rd place, and considering it was our first team effort at Regionals, I'm proud of us all.

It was a pretty long journey to get to this point. I'd always been an athletic kid - did the varsity soccer thing in high school - but never got terribly serious about anything. I gained the inevitable "Freshman 15" at college (though it was probably closer to 30lb). I managed to lose it and thought I wouldn't let myself get that bad again. I spent the rest of my 20s never being terribly stable with my weight. At my lightest I was probably about 115lb. I was doing yoga, and while I was incredibly flexible, I was very weak. It wasn't healthy.

From December 2005 to September 2010 I lived in Sydney, Australia, for what ended up being a miserable failure of a relationship. I had a job, though, so I stuck it out until my work visa expired. While it was one of the toughest times of my life, I don't regret a minute of being there. By the time I left Sydney, I'd gained a very uncomfortable amount of weight, almost approaching the badness of my freshman college years again, and I'd been kind of oblivious about it up to that point. Once I moved to Boston and secured a job, I figured I should probably change my habits. My brother has his own pretty awesome success story with CrossFit and the Paleo diet, so I thought to myself "Ok, there must be something to this. Let's do it and see how it works." I found CrossFit Newton in February of 2011, and I've been there ever since.

The more I keep up with CrossFit, the more I realize how much of a lifelong journey it is. And all the lessons I've learned from it so far are translating into the rest of my life - my career, my friendships, everything.

At 3 weeks shy of my 32nd birthday, it's time for me to make some goals for the year ahead of me:

- 315lb deadlift (I'm at 295 now, so I think it's doable)

- Take gymnastics classes and learn how to do a back handspring

- Equalize my squat snatch with my power snatch.

- Qualify for Regionals next year as an individual. (Whether or not I'll go team again I have no idea, but I at least want to qualify.)

I know I have more goals in my head somewhere, but it's hot and sweaty and my brain is kind of fuzzy. :) That was also a bit longer than I'd intended, whoops! But that's me, and my story.

I've been keeping up with the site for a while. Reading some of your stories is truly inspiring. Best of luck to everyone and their journeys!

You have met the Master of Deadlifts? *bows

Welcome officially to the Rebellion! I came in with some prior experience, and still I've learned countless new things from people on here.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Archived