Forums are back in action! ×

Hot enough for you?

illc

Heat index has gotten all the way up to 117 over here in the Midwest. That's far hotter than we're used to. I spent my Independence Day not outside celebrating, like I usually would be, but inside on the computer. It was still in the 80s while we were watching fireworks, and I don't ever remember it being that hot at about 10:00 at night! Even worse, though, we're one of those states caught in the drought, and it's hitting the farmers hard.

It's currently 62 and cloudy. apparently with showers, but I don't see those outside lol.

Yesterday was a bit warmer (70+), but really the summer here was one week in like May? The temps sky rocketed then.

Now it's just what we get here on average... stupid climate change making our winters very harsh compared to normal.

our normal climate is mild summers, mild winters... I wish I could go back to those days... never too cold or too warm...

Average climate now is, fall, fall, fall, winter.... yup.

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

So yeah, my car air conditioner decided to break. And the drive home is an hour and 15 minutes.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

...It's 128 degrees here. One Hundred and Twenty Eight.

Wow, you win this week. It's only been in the 117s in Death Valley.

Of course, we had some "rain" (i.e., sprinkles) in the valley this week.

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

London Ontario. It's hot as balls here. Luckily, I like the heat and have A/C so the house is quite comfy. I might not keep the A/C so high but the dog doesn't take the heat too well. I'm unemployed at the moment so I have the luxury of being able to hole up in my cool apartment and not have to venture outside much unless I have to take the dog out. I love the summer though, even though this current heat wave is testing my love a little..my cooling strategies include wearing as little as possible, moving as little as possible, and consuming as many cold drinks and (healthyish) treats as I can.

The Road Goes Ever On And On

You can watch stuff happen, MAKE stuff happen, or wonder what the heck happened

From our record-shattering wet summer (it's a jetstream thing: we should have highs while it fires lows over Iceland; it's jinked south and parked over Biscay so we get a salvo of lows and they hit the hot continental air and turn into big ol wet things)... from here, it almost looks nice in roasty-toasty USA.

http://boingboing.net/2012/07/06/just-how-hot-is-it-in-the-us-r.html

Jings. Weird weather.

all that's left now is for your power windows to get stuck in the up position...

Tell me about it. We're getting a second car this week.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I'm doing hill sprints today. ;)

I may decide to consume some decidedly non-paleo ice cream afterwards. And not regret it in the slightest.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

All I know is that I am so very thankful that we have central A/C in our apartment. The insulation in my previous rental house had long ago crumbled to dust, so I'm guessing the A/C works about as well there as the heater did in the winter--which is to say, not at all. And I'm one of those people on which wet heat tends to have a vampiric effect--sucks the wind right out of me. (That may be due somewhat to me being out of shape. Which is why I'm here at NF. But I digress.)

On the other paw, though, I want to try dashboard cookies! Black car with black interior...it would totally work!

Archived