Forums are back in action! ×

What's everyone reading?

Still working on the physical book of Good Omens, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett... been trying to carry it around with me to read it more, but I just don't usually have it when I find reading time!

Am e-reading The Bookseller by Cynthia Swanson - only 7% in, but so far, so good.

Listening to The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber - the audiobook reader has a deep voice, so it's a little difficult for me, especially at the gym, but it's really interesting so far (also probably around 5% in).

Recently finished audiobook for The Conch Bearer by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni. I really liked the story, especially in the beginning, but the second half of the book felt rushed, like we were trying to get through the plot before the pages ran out. Still recommend though. 

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

Just started Girl in the Spider's Web, the newest ghost-written installment in the Millennium series of Girl With The Dragon Tattoo fame.

The new writer is no Stieg Larsson, but so far so good.

• Like 1

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Just started Girl in the Spider's Web, the newest ghost-written installment in the Millennium series of Girl With The Dragon Tattoo fame.

The new writer is no Stieg Larsson, but so far so good.

I want to read this, but I do not want to read this. You know what I mean.

I just finished The Long Utopia by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. I liked it a lot. I found the ending a lot more emotionally satisfying than The Long Mars. I have since found evidence that Pratchett and Baxter finished a fifth book in the series before Pratchett died, so I'm looking forward to that.

I am currently reading The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett. This is the last genuine Terry Pratchett Discworld novel that will ever be. It is very good so far, but I will probably cry when it is over, because I will never have that New Discworld Novel feeling ever again.

• Like 2

Jothra

i | ii | iii | iv | v | vi | vii | viii

I want to read this, but I do not want to read this. You know what I mean.

I'll check back in when I'm finished to let you know if it's worth the time investment.

• Like 1

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Dave Eggers - the Circle

Short summary: Young woman starts working for The Circle, aka Monopolygoogle On Steroids. She loves the company and all the good it does even though they're breaking all privacy and social ethics. 

On 2/3 so far, I think. It started out as a very intriguing book that I couldn't put down - but halfway through I found the main character getting more and more annoying. It's hard to find a book as interesting if you don't care about the protagonist. Still: have to finish the book. I have picked up reading again recently, during my commute. Absolutely love it, as metro time flies by and I get 1,5 hours of reading into every working day. Hurray!

• Like 1

Started Gardens of the Moon, first book in Steven Erickson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series. It's a good thing there was an author's introduction at the beginning, letting me know that the book drops you in the middle of an evolving situation and requires you to just keep on running. I'm terrible with names and places and literature that's heavy in both, but just kept on reading in hopes that everything will eventually make sense. It is amazing and I am not afraid to say it makes stuff like Game of Thrones look like the Bold & the Beautiful with swords

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Currently reading L.E. Modessit's 'The Hammer of Darkness'.  He's not the best writer, but he has interesting ideas about belief vs. fact and the influence of faith on society.  'Hammer of Darkness' posits a society with physically-manifest gods that punish wrongdoers (ie people they don't like).  But are they gods, or just humans with great powers?

I'm also going through Neil Gaiman's 'Fragile Things' short story collection, and have 'Wolf in White Van' queued up for my audiobook pleasure.  After that comes 'The Shepherd's Crown'.  YAAAY!

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

Still going on The Sun Also Rises. I'm finding it pretty tough to get into. So far it's about a spoiled American dude and his rich friends, none of whom seem to work much, and their tales of eating and drinking and falling in love with stupid, narcissistic women. Oh and fishing, they've just been fishing in Spain.

But I'll push through :D

I don't not-read books once I start them, but this one was an exception for me. Clearly you've gotten farther than I did! I'll try again someday...
  • Like 1

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

After playing Arkham Horrors together, my bf pulled a big book with a pile of Lovecraft's stories out of the closet.

That'll keep me occupied for a while. :)

A lot of Lovecraftian horror fans actually will admit that Howard P. Lovecraft was an overwrought, pulpy, racist writer.  Like certain other fandoms, the legend is better than the kernel.  "Call of Cthulhu" and "Arkham Horror" can, if well played, produce better narratives than Lovecraft himself ever did.

still, it's definitely worth peeking at the source material.

I finally started munching on "The Wheel of Time," so a couple hundred pages into book 1.  It's not bad.  Not astonishingly good, but considering the smoldering crap I've had to read lately, it's refreshing to stick my head into a book that features complete, grammatical sentences and vividly described scenery.

• Like 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

The "What's everyone reading" thread on the Nerd Fitness site...

• Like 6

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge