Forums are back in action! ×

Been hanging around - should probably introduce myself.....

Hi - I'm Athaclena and I'm a nerd. And I think I've found a new place to hang my hat for helping me get to my overall health & fitness goals.

Now that's out of the way - a bit about me!

I'm in IT and while I was fairly fit/healthy as a teen - once I got settled into the "real world" of daily office life - that went by the way side.

So - here I am - 40 & out of shape (and over weight). Too many years staying indoors and eating crap food.

I've already started eating cleaner. I don't think I'll ever go completely over to Primal/Paleo - but like the concept. I've been doing a lot more of my own cooking (while hubby was out of work for 18 months) and have been making much better choices. It's time to clean that up a bit more.

I've been fighting post-Dragon*Con "con crud" the last two weeks - but I think it's finally gone (for good this time - sleep is important folks) so I can get back to some walking (@2.5 miles 2-3 times/week) and strength training (2-3 times/week).

I'm looking forward to the next challenge for inspiration to continue the baby steps back to my old self, rather than feel old....

--Athaclena

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

Welcoming new player...

Athaclena, to the game.

Getting your diet in shape is a great frist step, and not baby one. Don't worry about being true blue paleo find what works for you. Take a look around, LCHF or something else might fit you better. Keep in mind that some diet changes can take weeks for full benefits to appear.

All the while get more sleep.

Cheers, J.

Welcome. I need to get to DragonCon one day. I have done tons of Ren Faires but no big conventions like GenCon or DragonCon or ComicCon.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

I'll probably never go full-on paleo - but I'm cutting out gluten and processed foods (except bacon - but that's local from pastured pigs - thinking of switching to side meat to remove the processing side though). While I could probably do Whole30, my husband couldn't/wouldn't. The only green things he eats are green beans (which are fine) and peas. I already make sure he has one or the other for dinner every night - but it's pretty much the only veg he gets. I've also learned that if I try a more strict eating plan than him - I cave and eat stuff I made for him - so I've settled on something we can do together....

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

Archived