Forums are back in action! ×

MEN ONLY THREAD part two

Speaking of romance movies with Ryan Gosling, my favorite romance movie is Crazy, Stupid, Love. It's got the triumverate:romance, bromance, and Emma Stone.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

@insanity: the whole wire-fu on crouching tiger hidden dragon is part of a cultural thing... its a subgenre of martial art movies (called wuxia), a style of storytelling if you will.

from wikipedia:

The martial arts in wuxia stories are based on wushu techniques and other real life Chinese martial arts. In wuxia tales, however, the mastery of such skills are highly exaggerated to superhuman levels of achievement and prowess. [...] exaggerated to the point that characters can circumvent gravity to fly, cover tremendous distances in a single stride, glide across surfaces of water, scale high walls and mount trees.

But yes... I know plenty of people who couldn't get past the whole everyone flies thing. It's fine, not everyone has to like everything.

As long as we can agree that "my big fat greek wedding" and its likes are:

* NOT good romantic movies

* NOT good at romance

* NOT good movies

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

@insanity: the whole wire-fu on crouching tiger hidden dragon is part of a cultural thing... its a subgenre of martial art movies (called wuxia), a style of storytelling if you will.

from wikipedia:

The martial arts in wuxia stories are based on wushu techniques and other real life Chinese martial arts. In wuxia tales, however, the mastery of such skills are highly exaggerated to superhuman levels of achievement and prowess. [...] exaggerated to the point that characters can circumvent gravity to fly, cover tremendous distances in a single stride, glide across surfaces of water, scale high walls and mount trees.

But yes... I know plenty of people who couldn't get past the whole everyone flies thing. It's fine, not everyone has to like everything.

As long as we can agree that "my big fat greek wedding" and its likes are:

* NOT good romantic movies

* NOT good at romance

* NOT good movies

BFGW, never seen it.... so I don't know what its like are... :-)

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Never cared for romance movies unless they have something unusual about them (Wall-E is, for instance, highly watchable). I sat through the entirety of Titanic on exactly one occasion. I would like those three hours of my life back, please.

Yes, the effects are brilliant. But the characters were irritating and the story was dire, and it took hideous liberties with history.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

Never cared for romance movies unless they have something unusual about them (Wall-E is, for instance, highly watchable). I sat through the entirety of Titanic on exactly one occasion. I would like those three hours of my life back, please.

Yes, the effects are brilliant. But the characters were irritating and the story was dire, and it took hideous liberties with history.

Find one historical movie that doesn't.

Ok: Acceptable Romance Movies for men

Die Hard was a good romance movie (John McClain and his wife reconcile, that counts)

Return of the Jedi was good (Han Solo and Leia)

Attack of the Clones was ok

Indiana Jones and The Raiders of The Lost Ark

James Bond (almost all of them)

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Aragorn and Arwen, Faramir and Eowyn, Sam and Rosie)

The Hunt for Red October (I think Jack Ryan's Wife was in at least one Scene)

• Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

yes, this is a major problem… there are not a lot of them out there. Which to me talks more about the quality of the romance films than about the nature of men…

I dunno, i think there a lot of great romance films out there that men don't really get into. Your list had some great alt-romance films, and in my experience men tend to get into those more than the archetypal romances. Stuff like Her, 500 Days of Summer, Knocked Up, Chasing Amy, anything with John Cussack, those sort of "bro-y" romance films tend to track well with men. It probably helps that the main characters are often male. Whereas the romance films where women are the main characters track poorly (at least amongst my male friends - trying to get them to watch Bridget Jones Diary with me is like pulling teeth).

If you're interested in checking out some other great romance films though, I'd highly recommend starting with Baz Luhrman's back catalogue, my favourites are strictly ballroom, romeo and juliet, and moulin rouge. 

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

Let's turn this romance movie thing on its head. Guys, what are some definitely manly  movies you've drug women to that they have ended up liking? I had good success with the 13th Warrior.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I like some of the older Romance movies:

'Brief Encounter'

'An affair to remember'

And a couple of 90's(?) ones

'When Harry Met Sally'

'Sleepless in Seattle'

More recently:

'Silver Linings Playbook'

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Assuming robots in WALL-E have emotions, WALL-E repairing himself using the body parts of other robots that he keeps stocked in his room essentially makes him Buffalo Bill.

Die Hard was a good romance movie (John McClain and his wife reconcile, that counts)

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Aragorn and Arwen, Faramir and Eowyn, Sam and Rosie)

Con Air. Greatest movie ever made. This should be first on every list.

• Like 1

How did you forget about Rocky? Also the first Matt Damon Bourne movie.

How did you forget about Rocky? Also the first Matt Damon Bourne movie.

I'm going to stick with the story that I intentionally left the list short to spawn further discussion.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Let's turn this romance movie thing on its head. Guys, what are some definitely manly  movies you've drug women to that they have ended up liking? I had good success with the 13th Warrior.

Best one was Bourne. I had read the books and came out hating the film because of all the changes (i've since learned that its actually pretty good if you take it as a standalone film) and she came out going "wow that was way better than i thought it would be" and actually watched the next 2 too so she wasn't saying it to just get in my pants

• Like 2

Best one was Bourne. I had read the books and came out hating the film because of all the changes (i've since learned that its actually pretty good if you take it as a standalone film) and she came out going "wow that was way better than i thought it would be" and actually watched the next 2 too so she wasn't saying it to just get in my pants

I went backwards. I loved the movies, then read the books. Since I have read the books I went from hating the movies to they are pretty good as stand alone movies.

(dragging the topic back for a minute) The only romantic movie the wife made me watch that I liked was cold mountain. Hey War was a big part of that movie so yea. I refuse to even glance at the notebook ever again.....

If we include anime that hits you in the feels I have to go with Eureka Seven and the end of FMA: brotherhood.

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

Does it count if my wife's water broke during LOTR: Two Towers?

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

The Lord of the Rings movies.  She went to the first one just because I wanted to see it, when it ended she said "We HAVE to see the rest!"

The Avengers movies (including Iron Man, Thor, etc)  

• Like 2

More recently:

'Silver Linings Playbook'

Very good movie. Was filmed in my hood too, if anyone is interested in knowing what the area I grew up in looks like, watch this movie. All the neighborhoods and indoor shots of the homes are on point. The school he goes to and flips out on his wife in the beginning is my wife's high school.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

So I asked my wife what was the last romantic movie we watched and she drew a blank and asked if avenging some ones death was considered romantic, I told her yes, but seriously the last romantic movie we watched would have to be Despicable Me 2

• Like 4

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim