Forums are back in action! ×

the ultimate 8 point fitness test

I agree that this is a pretty good mix of exercises.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

60s of planking is enough to get you a max score? That seems low. I could do that very near the beginning of my fitness journey (okay, I'd say 3 and a half months is still the 'beginning', but I mean even in comparison to that).

Like the idea, but I'm not sure the scoring is accurate.

Also I can't jump rope. Dunno why. It's one of those things that I have a complete block on, like juggling.

Level 4 AssassinStr 8.50, Dex 7.25, Sta 6.75Con 6.00, Wis 8.00, Cha 6.00

My tumblrtumblr for silly band names

60s of planking is enough to get you a max score? That seems low. I could do that very near the beginning of my fitness journey (okay, I'd say 3 and a half months is still the 'beginning', but I mean even in comparison to that).

Like the idea, but I'm not sure the scoring is accurate.

Also I can't jump rope. Dunno why. It's one of those things that I have a complete block on, like juggling.

i agree, its a cool test, but i do think the plank and the box jumps have a much lower standard than the rest of the exercises.

maybe tweak the numbers a bit for the PvP

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mark, Level 2 Giant Ranger

STR 4.5|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 3.25|WIS 5.25|CHA 4.75

[/TABLE]

This reminded me of another similar test that someone on these boards had linked to earlier. It uses points as well, but doesn't require as many extra equipment or a single-rep max, which is hard to do alone.

FBI SPECIAL AGENT PHYSICAL FITNESS TEST SCORING SCALE

From the website:

"In order to pass the Physical Fitness Test, applicants must achieve a minimum cumulative score of twelve points with at least one point in each of the four events:

Maximum number of sit-ups in one minute

Timed 300-meter sprint

Maximum number of push-ups (untimed)

Timed one and one half mile (1.5 mile) run"

Later on, they add a similar test with pullups:

FBI SPECIAL AGENT PHYSICAL FITNESS REQUIREMENTS - STANDARD PULL-UPS

"New Agent Trainees admitted to the FBI Academy must re-pass the Physical Fitness Test in their first week at the Academy. The test, scoring scale, and protocol are exactly the same, except a fifth event is added - standard pull-ups."

I think that I may use these as goals to work towards for the next challenge. Maybe to take the test and then increase the total score (or particular events) by a certain number of points.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

I think fitness tests shouldn't require any equipment, but I'm biased in that area.

And then if you click through to the beginner workout, it's still too hard for a sedentary beginner. Run a mile in 13 min? 100 crunches? I call blargh.

13 min mile is very slow, it's a 5 on the treadmill I think.

But yeah, I think it's a pretty good scale. I personally got 6 3's, a 4, and a 2, if I'm guessing at what I can do, which i can because I have done or do every one of those exercises fairly recently. And you need 120 seconds on a plank for a max score.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

13 min mile is very slow, it's a 5 on the treadmill I think.

But yeah, I think it's a pretty good scale. I personally got 6 3's, a 4, and a 2, if I'm guessing at what I can do, which i can because I have done or do every one of those exercises fairly recently. And you need 120 seconds on a plank for a max score.

Hmm, article says 91+ seconds for a max score for me.

Anyway, I haven't tried most of these "max in one minute" things recently, but I'm pretty confident I could get "3"s on them all, and feel pretty good about my chances at a "4" the box jumps, and maaaybe the clean/press (that would depend on how much push press and/or jerking action is allowed). Combined with 4s on the mile, jump rope, plank, and squat, and a 3 on the bench - I come out somewhere between 28 and 30.

Which, honestly says to me that this test needs level 5s. Because I certainly don't consider myself a "beast". At the end of the day though, some dudes arbitrary test doesn't mean anything - all that matters is progress vs yesterday.

Hmm, article says 91+ seconds for a max score for me.

Anyway, I haven't tried most of these "max in one minute" things recently, but I'm pretty confident I could get "3"s on them all, and feel pretty good about my chances at a "4" the box jumps, and maaaybe the clean/press (that would depend on how much push press and/or jerking action is allowed). Combined with 4s on the mile, jump rope, plank, and squat, and a 3 on the bench - I come out somewhere between 28 and 30.

Which, honestly says to me that this test needs level 5s. Because I certainly don't consider myself a "beast". At the end of the day though, some dudes arbitrary test doesn't mean anything - all that matters is progress vs yesterday.

and on the flip side, I'm not sure how to guess at some of those but my conservative estimate put me at 15... just barely a beginner. I'd like to think I'm a bit more fit... sheesh.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Archived