Forums are back in action! ×

Workout Song Suggestions

Ba'sini'on

I need some workout song suggestions.

I like Rock, Opera, Indie-rock, Oldies but Goodies, and others. I don't like R&B, Hip-hop, or rap.

So far on my mp3 lists I have:

Disturbed

RED

Skillet

DC Talk

Audio Adrenaline

12 Stones

Ink Spots

Andrew Sisters

George Strait

Andrew Jackson

Thousand Foot Krutch

Toby Mac

P!nk

Florence and the Machine

Nightwish

Evanescance

Johnny Cash

Heart

Quiet Riot

Oingo Boingo

Demon Hunter

Ozzie Osbourne

Anberlin

.fun

Of Monsters and Men

Cyndi Lauper

ACDC

R.E.M

Within Temptaion

Journey

It may seem alot but it's just a few songs from each of them. I just would like some new ones to add to it. I am a BIG fan of Johnny Cash, P!nk, RED, Disturbed, Within Temptation, Florence and the Machine, Skillet, Andberlin, the Ink Spots, Andrew Sisters, and Journey (who isn't?). I LOVE good old music. And Johnny Cash's style is a favorite of mine. And then Rock including some Heavy Metal are always welcomed. And the beat of a good Indie-Rock song always keeps me going. 

So if anyone has any other suggestions as to what songs to add to my ever growing playlist, would be much appreciated! Oh! And just a little reminder, I don't like cuss words in my songs. Even my P!nk, and Disturbed songs are clean.

That's quite a list!  I like anything that I can use to get my imagination moving in the right direction to inspire me.  Radioactive by Imagine Dragons is one that gets me primed for putting up some iron.  It depends on what I'm doing though, too.  My lifting playlists are different than my walking lists. 

If you like Nightwish, Evanesence, Within Temptation, etc, you might want to look into Lacuna Coil (I really like the albums Comalies and Karmacode) and possibly Theatre of Tragedy.  The Joy Formidable and The xx also occasionally find a way into my lists.   

Oh, and Lindsey Stirling.

I don't normally listen to music when I work-out, but these usually give me some energy when the work-day get me down:

Matt Maher - Rise Up

Switchfoot - Mess of Me, Free

E.S. Posthumus - Pompeii (I maintain using this as background music can make any event epic; working out, working on a project, making muffins...)

Audio Adrenaline - Underdog

needtobreathe - Restless

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

I was just going through my iTunes yesterday putting together some different playlists.

Here's some of the ones that I added to my workout playlist:

(or just about anything by Japandroids.  I don't think they curse in this one, they say hell though.)

Write it All Down For You - Elliott BROOD

(they have a couple of other good ones too.  I don't think there's any cursing in this one, but they probably curse in some of their other ones.  The lady is a bit...angry )

This one was actually a track on Guitar Hero at some point, but its a great song and it always gets me pumped up.

Honestly, I could probably just put on Celebration Rock by Japandroids and use that as my workout soundtrack, except that its only 35 minutes long.  Its a great 35 minutes though.

Best of luck!

Edit - Added links.

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 4|DEX 2.6|STA 5.8|CON 8|WIS 2|CHA 3

MyFitnessPal|My Endomondo

If you'd like to branch into a different genre, ska is great for having high energy and a beat to keep you going.

Some of my fave bands are : Suburban Legends, Reel Big Fish, Aquabats, Save Ferris, Chase Long Beach, Streetlight Manifesto, Starpool

Oh, man. I like all your music tastes. :) Here's a sample from my list (I tried to narrow it down, I swear):

by Flyleaf
by Blue Stahli
by Korn
by Foo Fighters
by Sick Puppies
by One Republic

If you're looking for an epic sound, check out Two Steps From Hell. Heavy, sweeping orchestral work, like what you'd hear in movie trailers.

Seconded. Makes awesome study music too

I must say I LOVE your list! I've been pretty obsessed with Call You Out lately, though a little sad that the lead singer left :( Though understandable it is for her baby. Coming Undone is just...AWESOME as well as the video for it, and Foo Fighters...you can never go wrong with them :D

Haha thanks. I fully agree! :D That list could be 3x as long as it is but didn't want to get too out of hand hehe.

I have pretty eclectic tastes, somewhat overlapping (I'm generous with the use of the term...) with yours. I pulled up some playlists on grooveshark. I also made one for you. :)

My Lists:

Level Up Megacontroller (punk, mostly.)

Includes: Against Me, The 101ers, The Jam, Dropkick Murphys, MxPx, Green Day, Ramones, Weezer, Lots of other bands...plenty of variety.
Notes: recommended for when you need to get your ass in gear at first but need to get in a groove later on aka distance and endurance workouts.

Cursing: Probably not completely clean, look up lyrics if need be.

Button Combo Superstar (indie, punk and various core music, kind of manic and sporadic truthfully.)

Includes: Hot Hot Heat, Vampire Weekend, Thrice, He Is Legend, Chiodos, The Blood Brothers, HORSE the Band, Foxy Shazam, Descendents and more

Notes: recommeded for short intense bursts of activity (sprints) and rhythym based workouts (max reps per song or something like that.)

Cursing: It happens, skip The Bronx track most definitely.

Custom List:

Power Up, Up, Up and Away (based off of your artist list above, mostly rock)

Includes: Disturbed, Evanescence, Within Temptation, Nightwish, Iron Maiden, Linkin Park, Muse, Foo Fighters, Skillet, Alter Bridge and more

Notes: As a former metalhead and a Christian who appreciates all types of music, this list is only ok to me. I don't care much for mainstream rock music but this was fun to make because I had excuse to listen to a few new bands and also some of my favorite guilty pleasures (Linkin Park, I'm looking at you.) I'd say it starts slow but hits a fast stride roughly halfway through.

Cursing: I'm not going to give it 100% curse-free status, but I'd say that it is pretty clean. I looked up lyrics for songs I was unsure about and removed quite a few that had noticable cursing, but I'm not perfect.

Hope you enjoy it. :D

Ps - if the link above does not work, a gdoc tracklist can be found HERE.

limp bizkit - break stuff (may be too close to rap for you, but it's their best song)  well, you don't like swearing so this isn't for you...

some bands to look into:

atreyu

avenged sevenfold

black label society

iron maiden (run to the hills and the trooper = win!)

judas priest

kiss

linkin park (most of hybrid theory is awesome)

metallica (seek and destroy, battery, and enter sandman)

mudvayne (not falling)

muse

Primus

Rage against the machine

rise against

slipknot (vol 3, their best album, don't have any swearing)

static-x

stone sour

the subways

sum 41

system of a down

three days grace

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

limp bizkit - break stuff (may be too close to rap for you, but it's their best song)  well, you don't like swearing so this isn't for you...

some bands to look into:

atreyu

avenged sevenfold

black label society

iron maiden (run to the hills and the trooper = win!)

judas priest

kiss

linkin park (most of hybrid theory is awesome)

metallica (seek and destroy, battery, and enter sandman)

mudvayne (not falling)

muse

Primus

Rage against the machine

rise against

slipknot (vol 3, their best album, don't have any swearing)

static-x

stone sour

the subways

sum 41

system of a down

three days grace

GREAT list.  I'm not a huuuuuge Atreyu fan - but yeah- GREAT list.  Three Days Grace- god. music gasm. I love his voice.

Framing Henlay- Lollipop- don't ask why- its' like buck cherry's crazy bitch song both are hard- and sexy- just the way I like it!  Get me motivated to work out like nothing else- angry sexy is my best kind work.

i am such a loner in this catagory...

skrillex

knife party

the killabits

feed me

krewella

adventure club

i thought about adding skrillex, but felt that it was more dubstep/techno than rock, so i left it off.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

I only have one to suggest, since a lot of the ones I like have already been suggested:

Foster the People -

I listen to "Foster the People" station on Pandora, and have found a lot of their songs to have a good beat to them. And what better than a song telling you not to stop!? :)

Niwa no niwa ni wa, niwa no niwatori wa niwaka ni wani wo tabeta.

i am such a loner in this catagory...

skrillex

knife party

the killabits

feed me

krewella

adventure club

Not that much of a loner mate, I tend to keep a couple of those handy for when I go crazy on the erg :P

But I also like me a lot of electro house, trance (especially as of late again), drum and bass and some dubstep. I like trance and house for cardio-sessions, since there aren't (usually) any tempo-shifts, which, with stuff like Disturbed, can mess up my tempo a lot. And when doing a 30-45min upright bike routine, can be real nasty when the song goes into overdrive, 12 minutes in.

But yeah, initially looking at your list, I was going to recommend the likes of Godsmack, but then I read on about the non-cussing, which sadly makes Godsmack a pretty big no. I LOVE to lift to Awake or I stand alone, great songs for lifting, but yeah. Hmmm what else....

perhaps?

The original list looks like my exercise playlist. A few others I have on mine -

Stand Up - Fireflight

Stand in the Rain - Superchick

Unbreakable - Fireflight

Kryptonite - 3 doors down

Hit the Road Jack - Ray Charles

Pump - Bionic Jive

I have lots of top 40 and dance music too though. 

Kessihl - Level 2 Half Elf / Human1 (STR)  2 (DEX)  2 (STA)  3 (CON)  6 (WIS) 3 (CHA)  Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. 

Have you all seen the lists from Steady130.com? They guy is really good a mixing music and it maintains a 130 bpm, which I find ideal for working out.

Eiric the Mighty Fez

Human Adventurer/Cleric

LVL 1 | STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 2

Battle Log | Fitocracy | Challenge 1

IF Calculator

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.†– 2 Corinthians 4:18

You're not gonna like this much - but Eminem's White Trash Party and Macklemore's Thrift Shop are my two "plank songs" i rock the plank when these are playing.  Otherwise it's rock stuff for lifting and dance/trance for cardio.

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

You like metal and opera, and yet you have no Queen on your list?  For shame!

"Hammer to Fall", "One Vision", "Gimme the Prize", "Tie Your Mother Down", "Keep Yourself Alive"... great stuff, good solid rhythm, get you up and moving!

Of course, there's always the Sgt. Frog Season 3 Opening Song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQKtYTBO_c0

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

Archived