Forums are back in action! ×

Press Start to Play

Hey everyone, 

It's nice to meet you all.

My name is Tyler, I'm a 20 year old student out of the Central Wisconsin area. I've followed Nerd Fitness for a while, I signed up for the mailing list and I've read all the emails I've gotten, but joining the community here and putting some real hard work into my health is a recent decision. Let's see, where should I really begin? 

Well, when I was younger, I never really fit in. I was always much more the type to enjoy reading or playing pretend than football or tag. When I got a little older, I started finding out just how much I loved video games and that became my primary hobby. So, while most of my peers were talking about whatever was popular at the time, I was talking about Final Fantasy, Legend of Dragoon, or the Redwall books. I shied away from most physical activity when I was younger because I wasn't really any good at it and the other kids made fun of me. Fast forward a decade and you have me as of January, overweight at 279 pounds, unhappy, and not sure what to do about it all.

I started this whole journey of getting healthier by watching what I eat, amount especially. I started tracking my calories and limiting my intake of the stuff I knew was really bad for me. I cut soda out almost completely, to this day I don't really drink soda anymore. By just watching what I was putting in, I lost 30 pounds, but that's been about my loss for the last month or so. This is why I'm starting to get serious and why I'm joining the community. I've decided that I'm not okay with being complacent about my body. Tuesday morning I did the Beginner Body Weight Circuit for the first time, as of writing this, all of the muscles in my legs still hurt from it. It's pretty awesome, actually. I'm not sure how I'm going to do it tomorrow morning, but I won't back down from a good challenge.

Let's get into the nitty gritty of me. 

As of 06/25/13 My weight and measurements are as follows

Weight: 249lb

Neck: 17in

Chest: 48in

Natural Waist/Stomach: 48in

Waist/Top of Hips: 45in

Biceps R|L: 15.5|15in

Thighs R|L: 24|25in

Calves R|L: 18|18in

Here's some pics that I'm going to be using as a base point from here on out. 

c79c33a1-f3eb-4d62-bc4d-4dbb88bd9508.jpg                  561b205d-4881-41ac-8e3c-3ae49712c7ab.jpg

So, enough about me physically, lets get to know me personally!

Let's start with games. I do most of my gaming on PS3, but I also do a bit of PC gaming. You can find me on PSN as WingsofIndustry, on Steam you can find me by the same handle as I am on here, TheMightyMinotaur. I'm the one with the ZRTF clan tag. Feel free to add me, I like friends.

Some of my favorite games and franchises, in no particular order.

Borderlands, Half-Life, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Brutal Legend, The Last of Us, Army of Two, Team Fortress 2, Bastion, Dead Space, Far Cry, Fallout. The list could go on for a while, but that's some of them.

Some of my favorite books and series, in no particular order.

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson, Song of Ice and Fire, Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson, Little Brother by Cory Doctorow, The Black Company Series by Glen Cook, House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski, Foundling's Tale by D.M. Cornish, Paladin of Shadows by John Ringo. As with the games, the list could go on for a while.

As far as music goes, there's something in every genre I like, but lately I've been listening to a lot of Mumford and Sons, Kavinsky, Flume, Of Monsters and Men, Son Lux, Sea Wolf, Dumbfoundead, Watsky, The Lumineers, and Woodkid. I recommend all of them.

My absolute favorite movie is Hot Fuzz, but I also like

Drive, Inception, Upstream Color, Cloud Atlas, and many, many more, including perhaps your favorite movie. Talk to me about movies. I enjoy it.

In my free time, in things not covered above, I play a few board games, card games, and of course Dungeons & Dragons. I also occasionally pursue artistic ventures, I have a couple pieces in a local gallery, and I occasionally write as well. I also enjoy cooking and enjoying the company of people with similar interests.

Currently, I'm on summer break, but come fall I'll be at the local community college. I hope next year to go to UW-Milwaukee to pursue a degree in Architecture. 

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Thanks for joining me on this quest of most epic proportions. Feel free to get in touch or, if you so choose, add me on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/Tyjaham) or Twitter (https://twitter.com/TylerHamelink). Just include that you're from here in a message if you do cause otherwise I might ignore your request, which would be sad.

Level 2 Dwarven Noob, Bluff Conqueror

STR: 3 DEX: 0 STA: 4 CON: 4 WIS: 0 CHA: 2

Challenge thread! | Battle log!

Welcome!

Movies: Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Hobbit, In the Heat of the Night, A Patch of Blue, The Thin Man movies, True Grit (1969), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990), Tigger Movie, Avenger, Iron Man, Captain America, The Incredible Hulk, Batman, The Women, Rurouni Kenshin, 13 Ghosts, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, A Good Woman, Battleship, Cowboys and Aliens, Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead, Run Fat Boy Run, etc.

Games: Mass Effect, Borderlands, Dishonored, Alice: Madness Returns, Tomba 2, Spyro (PS1 versions), Crash Bandicoot, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Medal of Honor: European Assault, Amnesia The Dark Descent, Half-Life (WHY THERE NO 3?!), Portal, Batman Arkham Asylum and City, Bioshock, Left 4 Dead, Brutal Legend, Fallout, Shadow of the Colossus, Elder Scrolls, Silent Hill, Sly Cooper, Alan Wake, Metro 2033, etc.

Music: Skillet, Poets of the Fall, Five Finger Death Punch, P.O.D., Superchick, Johnny Cash, Oingo Boingo, Mumford and Sons, Of Monsters and Men, Pink, The Lumineers, Emery, Demon Hunter, Anberlin, Lindsey Stirling, etc.

I'm also on Steam and I sent you a friend request! My name is aku_1951 and pleased to meet you!

I haven't seen it yet! The closest theater showing it in my area is a two hour drive away. I'm super bummed out about it.

Hot Fuzz definitely has my vote for the best of his trilogy but it was definitely worth a watch.

Race: Goblin

Class: Warrior

Level: 2

(STR): 5 (DEX): 2 (STA): 2 (CON): 1 (WIS): 2 (CHA): 2

Archived