Forums are back in action! ×

Any Sports Fans?

What sports does everyone follow (and which teams in particular)?

For me growing up in England football (soccer) was pretty much the dominant sport so I grew up playing and following that. Have been an Arsenal fan my entire life (thanks to my dad). Kind of lost interest in it during my early teens partly because I got into other things partly because I don't like the direction the sport has gone in (too many prima donnas falling about all over the places and acting like they're hurt). I've started casually following it again now (just because I enjoy watching sports with mates and its the most widely available to watch here) but I couldn't discuss it at much length.

Around the time I lost interest in football I started following basketball pretty seriously. I used to love the 76ers just because Allen Iverson played for them (I liked the fact that like me, he was only 6'0" and so if he could dunk that meant I potentially could as well although I never managed it). Again I kind of lost interest in it a few years ago but have started following it a bit more this past season but without following any particular team (just enjoying watching certain teams like the Thunder and Bulls).

My real favourite sport has to be American Football. I began following this in about 2006 and have been hooked ever since. I'm an absolute die hard Pats fan (I've got a friend who's family is from the Boston area so I just went with the team closest to that) and I could probably talk at length for hours about football. I just love the strategic and tactical element and the fact that unlike so many other sports success isn't based on how much a team spends or just having one or two superstar players but rather how well all the players work together as a team.

I do enjoy watching football, although I prefer college. However, if you haven't seen one already, I would highly recommend watching a USA Army vs. USA Navy football match. Best football game I can remember watching, ever. No money, no fame, and a huge rivalry. Plus they're all in super amazing physical condition. I also enjoy watching rugby, but I pretty rarely get to see a game, even on TV. A buddy of mine played in a rugby league here and it was a constant facepalm when people are like "somethings wrong with your football." "it's a rugby ball." "hahaha, good one. But seriously, you need a new ball." (Probably doesn't help that I live in the midwest.)

"Tomorrow = Never"

Twitter | Thingist | Challenge | Squad

I've been a hockey fan for fifteen years. I'm a Red Wings fan first and foremost, although I can watch & enjoy just about any game.

I also follow UFC. There's something about two guys going one on one, trying to physically beat the other down that I love. I don't really have a favorite fighter. I just enjoy watching them go at it.

I also vaguely follow Major League Baseball & the English Premier League. Baseball's fun, although not particularly exciting. I got hooked on soccer/football a few years ago when I lived in a house with a couple guys from England. One guy was a huge Manchester City fanatic, so I picked up on them. I check in on the standings every once and a while, but haven't watched a game in quite a while.

Big time hockey fan, especially the Detroit Red Wings. I like University of Michigan football and hockey. Unfortunately, my pro football team is the Lions, but if there is a season, this is their year (I have been saying this for a long time now, one of these years I have got to be right). I like Tigers baseball for a nice relaxing Sunday afternoon nap. I also like to watch the World Strongest Man contests. My all time favorite was Svend Karlsen (VIKING POWER!!!).

Unfortunately, my pro football team is the Lions, but if there is a season, this is their year (I have been saying this for a long time now, one of these years I have got to be right).

Well I don't think the Lions are gonna win the Super Bowl this year but you've definitely got a reason to be optimistic. With Fairley alongside Suh that D-line has the potential to be monstrous. Calvin Johnson is one of the best receivers in the game and the addition of Titus Young adds a nice complementary piece there. Stafford has shown flashes of being a franchise calibre QB just as long as the O-line gets sorted out and he can stay healthy the whole year. The secondary is a weakness but I think the additional pressure the D-line will create will help out the secondary. Plus I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lions make a big push to sign Asomugha.

I also follow UFC. There's something about two guys going one on one, trying to physically beat the other down that I love. I don't really have a favorite fighter. I just enjoy watching them go at it.

I'm a bit of a UFC fan as well (along with pretty much any kind of fighting sport, boxing in particular) it just completely slipped my mind when I was thinking about sports I like. I really admire Georges St. Pierre not only for being an extremely talented fighter but also his attitude, the way he always stays humble and is always looking to improve himself.

I also enjoy watching rugby, but I pretty rarely get to see a game, even on TV. A buddy of mine played in a rugby league here and it was a constant facepalm when people are like "somethings wrong with your football." "it's a rugby ball." "hahaha, good one. But seriously, you need a new ball." (Probably doesn't help that I live in the midwest.)

Another one I forgot. Living in the west of England its almost obligatory that you enjoy rugby. It's always good when the 6 nations is because I've got a few Welsh and French mates so it becomes quite competitive between us. Plus you don't have all the prancing around and acting hurt like you do in soccer.

NFL: Green Bay Packers

NBA: Green Bay Packers

MLB: Green Bay Packers

NHL: Green Bay Packers

Perhaps you're beginning to sense a theme?

Level 1 Ranger in Training

Current Challenge

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.

-- Jack London

team shareholder? grats on this year's title.

Yup! Got shares for my 18th birthday, many moons ago. The obsession runs in the family (my great-great uncle played for the very first team with Lambeau).

And thanks! :)

Level 1 Ranger in Training

Current Challenge

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.

-- Jack London

as a huge NFL fan (thanks, NFL Films and NFL Network), I really do hope to see a Packers game in Lambeau field someday. That's on my bucket list, for sure.

Just as long as they're not playing the Pats. I still have nightmares of Desmond Howard slicing through everyone and Reggie White knocking over the offensive linemen with his pinky. Watching the parade on TV 2 days later after school, I felt seriously ill and nauseous. It would be the first time I'd ever truly known gut wrenching defeat, the kind that makes you drop to your knees. Kinda like McCarthy after the Cards ran the ball back in OT hehehehehe.

pause > breathe > press play

tweetle dee

I have a crush on Max Kellerman and I am not afraid to admit it!

Very exciting couple of weeks in the boxing world...Williams, Haye, Wolak-Rodriguez, and this weekend's farce of a fight with its "KO"...

Ranger/Recruit/Professional Do-gooder

Challenge #1Challenge #2, Challenge #3, Challenge #4, Challenge #5, Challenge #6

Challenge #7, Challenge #8Challenge #9, Challenge #10, Challenge #11,

Challenge #12, Challenge #13,  Challenge #14,

Challenge #15, Challenge #16 , Current Challenge

"The Hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy Summers

I am an absolute sports nut, willing to watch damn near any sport that exists.

My favorite teams:

NFL - Tennessee Titans

NBA - Dallas Mavericks

College ANYTHING - Texas Longhorns

MLB - Houston Astros

Futbol - USM & W Teams; Bayern Munchen (get to see the games here in Germany luckily) and just watching the EPL in general

I also thoroughly enjoy watching the World's Strongest Man Competitions. I remember in the mid to late 90's watching almost every episode that would come on ESPN and wanting to throw a light pole or flip a tire :P

I can also sit down and enjoy a rugby match, tennis match, 6-9 holes of golf, billiards competitions, bowling, ping pong, auto racing.........I could go on.

"Sweat more in peace, so you bleed less in war."

Grats on the NBA title, much deserved. As a Celtics fan, it was very sweet to see PrimaBronna James fold like a greased lawn chair. =)

What made the title that much sweeter, was watching it in a pub only a mere 30 minute drive away from Dirk's hometown :D

And yes, any time LeBrick has failure in his NBA career, I enjoy it (and appreciate the thanks, only title ANY of my professional teams have won), especially when it comes at the hands of my favorite team.

"Sweat more in peace, so you bleed less in war."

Pretty much the only sport I follow is NHL - I'll watch a Ducks game any day. Football and basketball just bore me, and I can think of a hundred things I'd rather do than watch baseball. Though, whenever I come across those lumberjack competitions while channel surfing, those things will glue me to me chair. It's almost as addicting as Ninja Warrior.

The MLS is the only league I really follow (Seattle Sounders fan here). We're don't have quite the level of play that they do over the pond, but I think our enthusiasm makes up for it?

I'm currently living in Pittsburgh, so it's pretty much required for me to support the Steelers (though I still secretly support the Seahawks) and the Pirates

"It is not childish to live with uncertainty, to devote oneself to a craft rather than a career, to an idea rather than an institution." -Mamet

I'm not as big into watching sports as I am into playing them. American football, to me, is pretty stupid, particularly in comparison to rugby which is my favorite sport to watching and play, and like any predictable American into rugby, I am a fan of the All Blacks. Otherwise, I enjoy watching basketball a lot and am a fan of the Chicago Bulls. I also like watching hockey, but only if I am at the game. For some reason the puck is so hard to find when you are looking at a screen.

Note to Americans who have not heard of "shoot the boot", don't do it. Ever. Getting beaten up by a bunch of rugby guys is probably not as bad.